Former Youth Protection Director on the dangers in Scouts BSA

1 minute ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

No.  Many of those people would be unjustly tarred with the same brush.

I agree. I do think those convicted or have pled should be listed publicly. 

My initial gut reaction is to list even those who have been arrested, but I would want to give it some more thought before definitively saying that is a good idea. I think in most states (if not all) arrest are public record, it so I would lean towards including them. But there may be some negative ramification to which I am not aware, 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think anyone said that.  What they said is that we shouldn't just do weekly meetings and eliminate the outdoor program.  Honestly, scouting without an outdoor program is not scouting ... its s

I second all of that. Factor in this little story, as well. Add it to the consideration of “who [you] are dealing with” and “Don’t send your Eagle badge back to National. It does not seem to care.” Yo

Not replacing MJ with another external CSA expert is a disaster of a decision.  It is fueling the anger in each of these speeches.  If MJ wasn't working out, they should have hired a new CSA external

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Yes, if you look at the violation code, those people have been arrested and/or convicted of a crime. Even searching the first few that did not have a violation listed, it was easy to find they had been convicted or pled to crime. 

I am definitely in favor of doing what US Gymnastics is doing. 

But the IVF also contains people who have not even had criminal complaints filed against them. 

Do you think that people who have not had any criminal complaint should be included in what is put out publicly?

The majority of the IVF contains names of people who had no criminal complaints filed against them.  Some even admitted their guilt and there was no criminal complaint.  Including one of my abusers.  Publish his name and maybe someone can track him down.  He only abused 11 to 13 boys in my troop (that part is sarcasm).

• Upvote 1
On 10/1/2012 at 2:58 PM, RememberSchiff said:

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Boy Scouts of America plan to begin doing what critics argue they should have done decades ago -- bring suspected abusers named in the organization's so-called perversion files to the attention of police departments and sheriff's offices across the country.

...Scouts spokesman Deron Smith to say the organization will go back into the files and report any offenders who may have fallen through the cracks.

Smith said Mike Johnson, the group's youth protection director and a former police detective, will lead the review..."

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_21672182/boy-scouts-tell-police-about-pedophiles-perversion-files

IMO, National should just turnover ALL files to the police as at this point, Professor Warren, Mike Johnson, indeed anyone hired by the BSA, has little credibility with the victims and the public.

My $0.02,

4 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Interesting ... he has others that worked for BSA with him.... so he is not alone.  That would be tough when there are multiple people who worked for BSA reforms.

ALSO WOW, BSA withheld findings from him while he was in his role.  If that is true ... that could be criminal.

IMHO, if only we had hired someone with a police background, who could not be intimidated, who knew how to investigate suspected criminal activity, collect evidence, and draw upon his contacts in local, state, and federal law enforcement organizations to make scouting safe.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, if only we had hired someone with a police background, who could not be intimidated, who knew how to investigate suspected criminal activity, collect evidence, and draw upon his contacts in local, state, and federal law enforcement organizations to make scouting safe.

According to Johnson he was not allowed access to a lot of this.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02,

We need an up vote emoji for "I see what you did there"

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Associated Press version 

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/10/12/boy-scouts-safe-kids-former-youth-protection-director/

‘The Boy Scouts Is Not Safe For Kids’ Former Youth Protection Director Says, Adding: ‘We Failed You’

I posted this 51 minutes ago.

Kosnoff then tweeted this exact story 3 minutes later.

Hi Mr. Kosnoff!

5 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

My $0.02,

Michael Johnson was hired after serving as a detective investigating child abuse cases in Fort Worth.  I think he said a 20 year career so he is exactly who you wanted.

Just now, vol_scouter said:

Michael Johnson was hired after serving as a detective investigating child abuse cases in Fort Worth.  I think he said a 20 year career so he is exactly who you wanted.

The point I think was trying to be made, which went over some heads, is that if Johnson wanted BSA to do something then Johnson, as a detective with 20 years of experience was exactly the kind of person to do it.

The fact that he didn't speaks to a failure on Johnson's, not BSAs.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, vol_scouter said:

We also need a, “You missed the joke, my friend” emoji. :) 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

The fact that he didn't speaks to a failure on Johnson's, not BSAs.

Some here have gone on and on about threats to leadership being the reason names at certain levels (boards, I recall) are not available to the public and the troops (small ‘t’) on the ground. Did you hear his comment about his family? Does he look to be the sort who is easily cowed, pushed around or running for the really big guys to protect him? I want to know more about that somewhat thrown away line. Was he referring to within the organization or without? Both?

Edited by ThenNow
23 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I want to know more about that somewhat thrown away line. Was he referring to within the organization or without? Both?

I guarantee that’s coming up in a deposition: which BSA executives and officials blocked Johnson‘s inquiries. Names. Dates. Meetings.

35 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

The majority of the IVF contains names of people who had no criminal complaints filed against them.  Some even admitted their guilt and there was no criminal complaint. 

I am not exactly following what you are saying, but if you mean someone who has publicly admitted their guilt, but never had a complaint, plea deal or conviction, I would agree they need to be on the list. 

I would also include those that lost civil complaints against them. 

But if you mean anyone put on the list I disagree. There are certainly people their that are falsely accused but even worse, it would weaponize the process and make the list less valuable as a tool to prevent abuse.  

13 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

I guarantee that’s coming up in a deposition: which BSA executives and officials blocked Johnson‘s inquiries. Names. Dates. Meetings.

So, until it’s fully known, I recommend no one infer or imply he’s a coward or ineffectual as a leader. 

3 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

So, until it’s fully known, I recommend no one infer or imply he’s a coward or ineffectual as a leader. 

I don't think that is what he meant. 

I think he is saying if MJ gives a deposition he will be able to name names, dates and meeting at which his efforts were blocked by BSA.

Edited by HelpfulTracks