Former Youth Protection Director on the dangers in Scouts BSA

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think anyone said that.  What they said is that we shouldn't just do weekly meetings and eliminate the outdoor program.  Honestly, scouting without an outdoor program is not scouting ... its s

I second all of that. Factor in this little story, as well. Add it to the consideration of “who [you] are dealing with” and “Don’t send your Eagle badge back to National. It does not seem to care.” Yo

Not replacing MJ with another external CSA expert is a disaster of a decision.  It is fueling the anger in each of these speeches.  If MJ wasn't working out, they should have hired a new CSA external

Posted Images

Interesting ... he defends the IVF.  He said there is a really good argument about having these files and using them to protect kids.  However, there are some issues and there should be disclosure & more done.

He said that many volunteers & professionals pushed him for changes.

He came out due to the upcoming disclosure & the fact he didn't sign a NDA.  Said he is fed-up with the organization on what he is allowed to say.  He said he didn't spend 40 years of his life to protect kids to have anyone tell him what he can and cannot say.  

He called Jeff Anderson as he is not afraid of the BSA.

Is this being recorded for those of us at work and cannot watch? And if you can provide a link, I'd appreciate it.

Not that I do not trust the commentary you folks provide, but I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth. Plus add my own.  One thing I am getting from the commentary is utter disbelief.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I am by NO MEANS singling myself out here, but I have to say his mention of Eagle Scout BSA child sexual abuse survivors made me cry. I haven’t felt this validated in a long time. Maybe only when I allow myself to acknowledge that my wife and kids continue to love, trust, respect and welcome me. Yikes. Didn’t anticipate his combined passion, tears/vulnerability and tenacity. 

I cried a couple of times.  Quite sure there was more than just you and me.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Is this being recorded for those of us at work and cannot watch? Not that I do not trust the commentary you folks provide, but I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth. Plus add my own. One thing I am getting is: WOW!?!?!?!

Yes, recorded...you can watch later...it's just over an hour long.

https://www.andersonadvocates.com/boy-scouts-of-america-is-not-a-safe-place-for-children-today-congress-must-take-immediate-action/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
Removed the link...it does not go directly to the video...
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Yep. @skepticsimply wants to divert and deflect from BSA's responsibilities here and blame society.

Some of you must be really good with knot tying, and even better with splicing with the way you twist things to make yourselves seem the only ones with valid views.  And yes, while this is regarding BSA, the issues extend beyond them, and if that is not important to you as well, then you need to step back and reexamine.  Your inuendo and often insulting responses is juvenile and very narrow, as well as hints at actual vengence.  Please do not embarrass yourselves further.

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2
27 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

We are talking about BSA. Why must this deviate to the broader population to dilute and distract from the focus? That’s why we’re here, right?

That specific poster has a history of doing exactly that. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Some of you must be really good with knot tying, and even better with splicing with the way you twist things to make yourselves seem the only ones with valid views.  And yes, while this is regarding BSA, the issues extend beyond them, and if that is not important to you as well, then you need to step back and reexamine.  Your inuendo and often insulting responses is juvenile and very narrow, as well as hints at actual vengence.  Please do not embarrass yourselves further.

If you are just looking at the forest you will never see the trees.

9 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

I cried a couple of times.  Quite sure there was more than just you and me.

Honestly? That was brutal. I feel like I just had 4 hours of intense trauma therapy. I’ve felt this way before in other contexts. One that comes to mind is reading my trauma-focused life “story” to a group of patients and staff in residential child trauma treatment. The treatment center had a focus on Eating Disorders. That was in 2012. I cried so much my notes became barely decipherable. I’m exhausted. 

Edited by ThenNow
5 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Honestly? That was brutal. I feel like I just had 4 hours of intense trauma therapy. I’ve felt this way before in other contexts. One that comes to mind is reading my trauma-focused life “story” to a group of patients and staff in residential child trauma treatment. The treatment center had a focus on Eating Disorders. That was in 2012. I cried so much my notes became barely decipherable. I’m exhausted. 

I am supposed to be at work at 12PST already told them I will be 1 hour late.  Not sure if I can actually make it today.

5 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

I am supposed to be at work at 12PST already told them I will be 1 hour late.  Not sure if I can actually make it today.

I cancelled my 1:30 CT call and planned to run an errand. Not sure that’s happening either. 

AP starting to run the story, expect it in the next hour on the wires

https://newsadvance.com/news/state/wire/greater-mid-atlantic-news-digest-1-30-p-m/article_38b3353b-4dcd-5c7f-8290-4f0aa8e3c502.html

BOY SCOUTS-YOUTH PROTECTION

DOVER, Del. — The former youth protection director for the Boy Scouts of America says the organization has not done enough to protect children from pedophiles and from being sexually abused by fellow Boy Scouts. Mike Johnson is urging Congress to investigate the cover-up of decades of past abuse and the dangers that he says the BSA still poses to children. Johnson's appearance at the National Press Club on Tuesday comes as ballots are being sent to tens of thousands of sexual abuse claimants to vote on whether to approve the BSA's bankruptcy reorganization plan. By Randall Chase.

Edited by CynicalScouter
16 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

He said he didn't spend 40 years of his life to protect kids to have anyone tell him what he can and cannot say.  

Which indicates BSA tried to hit him with a directive NOT to cooperate with discovery requests.

Ha-ha. That backfired.

• Like 1