Former Youth Protection Director on the dangers in Scouts BSA

Interesting ... he has others that worked for BSA with him.... so he is not alone.  That would be tough when there are multiple people who worked for BSA reforms.

ALSO WOW, BSA withheld findings from him while he was in his role.  If that is true ... that could be criminal.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think anyone said that.  What they said is that we shouldn't just do weekly meetings and eliminate the outdoor program.  Honestly, scouting without an outdoor program is not scouting ... its s

I second all of that. Factor in this little story, as well. Add it to the consideration of “who [you] are dealing with” and “Don’t send your Eagle badge back to National. It does not seem to care.” Yo

Not replacing MJ with another external CSA expert is a disaster of a decision.  It is fueling the anger in each of these speeches.  If MJ wasn't working out, they should have hired a new CSA external

Posted Images

America needs the ideal of scouts BSA & every kid should participate in scouting.  If you know me, it is not about ending scouting.  We need oversight that is independent to make scouting safer.

He mentioned scouters ... you know me, I want scouting to continue, it just is not safe right now.

Edited by Eagle1993
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

ALSO WOW, BSA withheld findings from him while he was in his role.  If that is true ... that could be criminal.

Yep. Time to see some criminal investigations of BSA as an organization, not just individual abusers.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

The question is: will media pick this up or not and how much? This could be the lead story on CNN, and BSA's toast.

I sent the link to one of the top bankruptcy division chiefs in the country. I can almost 100% guarantee it.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

We need oversight that is independent to make scouting safer.

That's what I've asked for over and over and over and been on this forum told by many no, can't be done, shouldn't be done, no one from outside BSA should get involved, etc.

Welp. how much more do folks here need before they realize BSA is NOT going to reform from within?

"Scouting is not safe" was repeated at least 3 times (4?)

Edited by CynicalScouter

This is devastating ... Mosby should be walked out today.  It is not just MJ ... there are others coming out right now. 

Edit:

To be fair, I was never a Mosby fan and thought he was a poor Chief Scout, so I would have walked him out a year ago ... so that may influence my opinion.

Edited by Eagle1993
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Mosby should be walked out today.

Not Mosby or at least not Mosby alone.

Mosby inherited this in January 2019. This was decades in the making. If you want to make the case for "keep Mosby because he had no idea", I can understand that.  May not agree, but I can understand it.

But there are board members who have been there the entire time. Executives the entire time. They need to go. THEN if you want Mosby out the door, too. Fine.

Also, they are alluding to a YP director "is there" but that he has "no experience". So SOMEONE is there, but do we have a name? Anything? Nope.

• Upvote 1

So, we now have reached the point of thinking somehow we can change the nature of the process of adolescence?  Where does the line of demarcation get drawn between centuries old "normal" experimentation in adolescence and abuse?  Was my early adolescent discomfort with slow development, due to a glandular disorcer treated as I entered it, abuse when forced to shower with others in HS?  Were the older youth who tended to tease and taunt abusive, or just dealing with their own confusion?  Will we ever discover a way to walk that irregular line to the satisfaction of all?  

Meanwhile, we have abundant evidence that many interactions of slightly older mentor youth having huge positive effects on those just entering that scary part of growing.  Idolizaion of the big brothers and sisters, or cousins, and even young youth mentors, which is where the youth leadership element plays.  How many of us here have seen concrete examples of Joe SPL, or PL mentoring a confused and frightened young scout and then seen that timid boy start to respond and have confidence?  That is where the best of Scouting happens, the youth and adult mentoring, and the older youth and younger youth mentoring.

I would suggest that the blinders that some are referring to, or the obfuscation of many indications of problems is common to not just BSA, but to our society as a whole.  Mission control; "We have a problem".  IF whatever shakes out can be inclusive of as much of the youth service/aid groups as possible, then we have accomplished something.  But if it does nothing put put money in lawyer's pockets and destroys most critical youth serving groups, does it "fix" anything?  

We come back to the need for BSA, and ALL youth serving groups, to be constantly vigilant and to put fair, but real teeth into safety of their charges.  At the same time, we do not want to think we can solve it completely.  That is just a PollyAnna idea, as few psychologists or sociologists will ever completely agree on these issues.  As someone already noted, should we expect to also fix the nuclear family and its arms?  As most of what I have seen indicates that is where the greatest damage occurs.  And similarly, it appears also that there is far more damage in the government systems that supposedly "protect" children.  

Utopia is shown to be basically impossible.  And so is absolute safety of not just children, but people in general, and even property and so on.  Meanwhile, as I keep sawing; don't throw out the babies.

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, skeptic said:

I would suggest that the blinders that some are referring to, or the obfuscation of many indications of problems is common to not just BSA, but to our society as a whole.

Great, so it isn't BSA's fault it refuses to exercise sufficient oversight. They are a victim of society!

Please.

1 minute ago, CynicalScouter said:
4 minutes ago, skeptic said:

I would suggest that the blinders that some are referring to, or the obfuscation of many indications of problems is common to not just BSA, but to our society as a whole.

Great, so it isn't BSA's fault it refuses to exercise sufficient oversight. They are a victim of society!

We are talking about BSA. Why must this deviate to the broader population to dilute and distract from the focus? That’s why we’re here, right?

• Upvote 1