2023 National Scout Jamboree Announced (sort of)

I have not seen an official announcement yet, but I have been hearing through the grapevine that there will be a National Scout Jamboree in 2023, held July 19-28.

There is a site up, but it has little information. just the promise of more information to come. 

https://jamboree.scouting.org/

I am not surprised, I felt like there would be an effort to have it in 2023 and some agreed. 

Not having it in 2023 would mean 8 years between 2017 and 2025, so some scouts would enter the program and age out without ever having had the change to attend. 

The next question I have is does the 2025 NSJ happen.

Having it in 2025 would get us back on track for having it every 4 years (opposite WSJ). Not having it in 2025 would mean another 6 year hiatus. But planning for 25 would require starting before 23 even happened. 

Of course, the bankruptcy could throw all of this into a tail spin. I think the idea is plan as if we will come out of bankruptcy as Ch7 rather and Ch11. 

There was an official announcement. Your sources are correct. And that is the website to get on the mailing list. World Scout Jamboree opens shortly after National Jamboree closes.

There’s no hard-and-fast rule that Jambos have to be on opposite did-numbered years. Each scheduling strategy has advantages and disadvantages.

• Upvote 1

American parents often want lots of details, and the announcements for both Jamborees are pretty sparse. Here’s how I informed my troop. (Iin case you are looking to do something similar for your scouts, feel free to use. No point in reinventing the wheel.)

Dear Scouts and Parents,

Two years seems a long way off, but big-ticket scouting requires preparation, so I wanted to get these announcements to you.
If you like ... really ... big ... gatherings ...
  • BSA just announced that National Jamboree will be held July 19-28, 2023 at Summit Bechtel Reserve, in Glen Jean, WV. First Class scouts age 12-17 at the time of the Jamboree may apply. Some of you were too young or hadn't made rank when it was scheduled for 2019, but the pandemic did you a favor and bought you time to age and advance. Some of you may be too old to attend as scouts, but there will be plenty of opportunities to apply as staff or an assistant scoutmaster. Interested scouts/alumni may get on a mailing list for more info here:  https://jamboree.scouting.org/.

BUT THAT’s NOT ALL! For those of you who think global ...
  • The World Scout Jamboree will be held August 1-12, 2023 at Saemangeum, South Korea. (Think seaside resort, minus condominiums or cabanas, and you’ll get the idea.) Scouts age 14-17 at that time of the Jamboree may apply. There are also opportunities to serve on the Contingent Management Team (as, for example, a scoutmaster) or International Service Team (as staff). Interested scouts/alumni may get on a mailing list for more info here: https://wsj2023.us/.
Over the next 22 months I’ll share what I learn about both events. However, I want to make clear that this is not to pressure anyone into attending. These huge events are designed to help some young people exchange great ideas and bring them home to share with their friends. But, because it's big-ticket stuff, my bottom line is always the bottom line: 
  • Scouts, make yourself useful to your folks to the tune of at least $100 a month. (Me, I did home repairs. Got a merit badge in the process.) Build up savings. (There's a merit badge for that, too.) Then, you'll be prepared for any adventure that comes your way.
I'll be making announcements regularly in case you happen to be that scout for whom any of this applies.

Yours in a Spirit of Fun and Adventure,

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

There was an official announcement. Your sources are correct. And that is the website to get on the mailing list. World Scout Jamboree opens shortly after National Jamboree closes.

There’s no hard-and-fast rule that Jambos have to be on opposite did-numbered years. Each scheduling strategy has advantages and disadvantages.

Ahh, the efficiency of the BSA. I still have not received anything and I am listed as the contingent lead for our council, signed up for the email list via the site above and I attended the last NSJ as a SM.

You would think I would make a list for one of those.