"Two local Boy Scout members called out the Campbell County Commissioners earlier this week for their reported fixation on LGBTQ+ material in the public library and reported attempts to meddle in the established challenge process."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As part of Citizenship in the Community MB, Scouts are asked to attend a community meeting and then discuss an issue with the counselor.  Maybe these scouts have taken the lessons of citizenship to he

I respectfully disagree that this is a political activity as the BSA's rules contemplate. I would regard a political activity as one that supports a candidate or a party in an election. Perhaps I woul

BSA was only supposed to be apolitical when its membership leaned rightward. As the organization’s demographics evolve, it will naturally be expected to take a greater role in social activism.  

29 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Hmm, I'm trying to understand why the girls are wearing BSA uniforms. Something isn't right.

Barry 

Depends on whether this is considered a "political event".

https://troopleader.scouting.org/policy-on-scout-participation-in-political-events/

Policy on Scout Participation in Political Events

Uniformed unit members and leaders may participate in flag ceremonies at political events and may lead the Pledge of Allegiance; however, they should retire after the ceremony and not remain on the speakers’ platform or in a conspicuous location where attendees or viewers could construe their presence as an endorsement or symbol of support. In addition, photos of candidates or Scouts in uniform or with BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind.

Volunteers and professionals must be alert to situations that would imply BSA favoritism for one candidate over another. Strict observance of our longstanding policy against the active participation of uniformed Scouts and leaders in political events is mandatory.

And this applies to Scouters https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/bsa-scouter-code-of-conduct/

On my honor I promise to do my best to comply with this Boy Scouts of America Scouter Code of Conduct while serving in my capacity as an adult leader...I will respect and abide by the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America, BSA policies, and BSA-provided training, including but not limited to those relating to...Advocacy on social and political issues, including prohibited use of the BSA uniform and brand;

Edited by CynicalScouter

Per BSA Rules & Regulations

Policy Concerning Political Questions The Boy Scouts of America must not, through its governing body or through any of its officers, chartered councils, Scouters, or members, involve Scouting in political matters. However, this must not be interpreted to prevent the teaching of ideals of patriotism and good citizenship as required to fulfill the Boy Scouts of America’s purpose. Faith-based teachings incorporated into the Scouting program by religious chartered organizations in a manner consistent with the Bylaws are not considered political matters. This policy does not prohibit the Boy Scouts of America from expressing its opinion upon matters of governmental concern when considered in its best interest by the governing body of the Boy Scouts of America. This policy does not limit the freedom of thought or action of any Scouter or member as an individual in a manner not directly or indirectly implying a connection to Scouting.

I think it is great they participated; however, I do not believe they should have associated scouting (by wearing their uniform) on their stance.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Per BSA Rules & Regulations

Policy Concerning Political Questions The Boy Scouts of America must not, through its governing body or through any of its officers, chartered councils, Scouters, or members, involve Scouting in political matters. However, this must not be interpreted to prevent the teaching of ideals of patriotism and good citizenship as required to fulfill the Boy Scouts of America’s purpose. Faith-based teachings incorporated into the Scouting program by religious chartered organizations in a manner consistent with the Bylaws are not considered political matters. This policy does not prohibit the Boy Scouts of America from expressing its opinion upon matters of governmental concern when considered in its best interest by the governing body of the Boy Scouts of America. This policy does not limit the freedom of thought or action of any Scouter or member as an individual in a manner not directly or indirectly implying a connection to Scouting.

I think it is great they participated; however, I do not believe they should have associated scouting (by wearing their uniform) on their stance.

Yep. The news report indicated that commission reached out to National. I would be a stern letter/warning is on its way to Troop leadership now.

Arrow of Light - Building a Better World - Requirement 4

1. Meet with a government or community leader, and learn about his or her role in your community. Discuss with the leader an important issue facing your community.

I have the Mayor coming to my AOL Den Meeting next week.  I know 5th graders arent going to have any pressing questions, BUT should Scouts only be instructed to choose to discuss important issues facing the community as long as the issue doesn't ruffle any feathers?  

I mean... the requirement is telling the Scout to meet and discuss issues in the community.  Kinda goes against "dont get involved in political matters"

• Upvote 1

As part of Citizenship in the Community MB, Scouts are asked to attend a community meeting and then discuss an issue with the counselor.  Maybe these scouts have taken the lessons of citizenship to heart and see an issue that they feel strongly about.  Is the issue here that they are in uniform or the issue they have raised? 

To be honest, I think it is great that they are calling out the county commissioners for not following their own rules and requirements.  This is exactly what the engaged citizen should do. 

Edited by Navybone
  • Upvote 4

That was a poorly written article, difficult to follow. 

Had these been my scouts I would have recommended they not wear their uniform since they were taking a stance on an issue in a public forum. I also, would have had a discussion with them about two points of the Scout Law in particular, a Scout is Courteous and a Scout is Reverent. 

I don't think, they met any requirement for one of the merit badges they were working on, its is questionable on 2 more, and may have gotten the requirement or two on the fourth. Also, having the meeting on video tape is not a requirement as one of the youth stated.

I am shocked they were able to get 42 plus minutes of council time, though it does appear that the council re-arranged their meeting for the benefits of the Scouts, all the more reason to review the points of the Scout Law I mentioned earlier. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
typo
10 minutes ago, FormerCubmaster said:

BSA was only supposed to be apolitical when its membership leaned rightward.

As the organization’s demographics evolve, it will naturally be expected to take a greater role in social activism.  

I have been a Scout and Scouter for a very long time. 

I think the common perception is that the organization is made up mostly or right leaning individuals. But I have known many many very left leaning individuals, and it has been a fairly even split. 

What we held in common, both left and right, was a belief in and adherence to the Scout Oath and Law.

I think we are seeing more and more people, both left and right, who are more ready to cast aside the Oath and Law, if it benefits them or they see fit. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, FormerCubmaster said:

As the organization’s demographics evolve, it will naturally be expected to take a greater role in social activism.  

Depends on what you define "social activism" is.

Was it "social activism" when BSA allowed for race segregated troops, districts, even COUNCIL until 1971?

Or was it "social activism" when BSA STOPPED allowing that to happen?

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

What we held in common, both left and right, was a belief in and adherence to the Scout Oath and Law.

Except that whole part about seperate-but-equal units, districts, and councils. That wasn't held in common, not for a LONG time.

15 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I think we are seeing more and more people, both left and right, who are more ready to cast aside the Oath and Law, if it benefits them or they see fit. 

BSA had no problem with "casting aside the Oath and Law" and allowing for racial discrimination to run rampant in scouting until it was sued into shame by the NAACP in 1974, DECADES after Brown vs. Board of Education.

Edited by CynicalScouter

Whenever I hear people chime in with the BSA has never been political and always supported the Oath and Law, I remind them BSA allowed for segregated units, districts, and even Councils until 1974 when the NAACP sued them into shame and the last Council was finally ordered desegregated.

https://aaregistry.org/story/the-african-american-boy-scout-movement-a-story/

https://finding-aids.lib.unc.edu/04688/

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/07/28/archives/naacp-plans-suit-against-boy-scouts.html

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1