I'm preparing a training session on the CS Outdoor Program. What are some of the things that some ofrather "opinionated" Scouters on this board (I said that lovingly :)) would like to see the Cubs doing in their efforts to prepare themselves to become Boy Scouts (Purpose #10)?

I will be stressing the progressive program of Cub Scouting - what Tigers do in the outdoors should not be anything as strenuous as what the Webelos do - but I don't want to be suggesting mini Boy Scouts to the Webelos either.

And lastly - camping is only a part of the outdoor program, not the entire thing :)

CBW

Day hikes, Family fun days, overnighters, Day camp, Cub Resident camp, Webelos Resident Camp... The list can go on and on. I would like to say all Cubs getting out of the standard den meeting and into something outside of a "room" atmosphere. Even if it's going to a museum, a field trip or a skating rink, it's doing something. Once a month is ideal, but I would be happy with 6 times a year.

Use the age-appropriate guildelines from the G2SS as some supporting documentation to help you line it up by age.

You can also focus on age-appropriate precursors to common Boy Scout skills, such as compass use, first aid, and camp cooking. We've been doing that in our den since Tiger Cubs - increasing complexities as the boys aged/matured.

For compass, we play a pin the tail on the donkey game where we first teach them how to point the compass at the donkey and "box" the needle. Then we put a sheet over them, gently spin them, and help them learn to "rebox" the needle and then follow the compass to the donkey. By their Bear year (last year) I had them following a simple triangle course where I gave them three bearings (with parental help) and we marked where they ended up. When all were done, we told them where they were supposed to have ended up. They had a blast with that.

We've also slowly built a firt aid kit up over the years. We started with soap and bandaids, then added tape, larger bandages, and tweezers. Each year adding complexity and focusing on "self-help" AND informing adults of the injury. Pre-Webelos may be too early to focus on applying first aid to others.

As I've mentioned in previous posts. Last year we created a "survival kit" using a cheap fanny pack, an orange plastic bag (purchased on the web), a whistle on a wrist lanyard, and a cheap LED light that fastens on the wrist lanyard. This year (Webelos I) I might try to show them how signal mirrors work using a blank CD, talk about fire-starting (with LOTS of parental involvement - most of our boys don't even know how to light a match), and talk about the "order of importance" from a survival perspective (Medical care, Shelter, Signal, Fire, Water, Food). Next year we start hunting? (No!!, just kidding).

During our Pack Overnight and at daytime picnic/hiking activities, we've tried to allow the boys to be very involved in meal planning, cooking, AND CLEANUP. Again, we've gotten more complicated as the years went on.

The boys are asked to carry their survival kit (fanny pack) and small first aid kit with them whenever we are on an activity outdoors. Starting the habit early.

The goal is to encourage early learning and skill development while still leaving something to be learned in Boy Scouts.

short hikes, fishing derbys (next spring), rocket launches (estes make nearly idiot proof kits (i even built one), bike rodeos, bike hikes -we have one that is near twenty miles mostly down hill (very slight elevation grade...had kids (sibs)finish on training wheels...)beach combing day adventure, spring birding hike, summer mud bash around some pond looking for tad poles etc. You can also do this in the snow with animal tracks!Out door cooking class with intro to dutch oven cooking (donuts from biscuit tubes is great fun!) How about knot pole races (horizonal pole -chest high with basic knot examples and an extra 'race rope' next to each knot...individual or dens hurry to copy each knot lots of fun)'webs' can do the same with fire building....very carefully watched.

And of course graduate level classes in brewing a great cup of camp coffee to show your leaders they are almost as special as you are!

good funning!