NOAC 2022 - Who is going?

My son is an active member of his OA lodge and is currently an Area Vice Chief.  He came home from Fall Fellowship this weekend super excited about NOAC this year.  He hasn't been interested in any of the advanced leadership classes until recently, so he'll really only have one opportunity to attend a single one. He only has one summer before he ages out, and we can't find an advanced leadership opportunity offered any time other than the summer.

We are 99.9% sure we'll send him to NOAC next summer, over NYLT.  I'm an Arrowman also, and I'm thinking of attending as well - not to 'helicopter parent' him, but to experience NOAC as well, as I never could attend as a youth.

So who else is thinking of heading to Tennessee next summer?

On 9/28/2021 at 3:13 AM, livitup said:

So who else is thinking of heading to Tennessee next summer?

Will definitely be there, as will my son. Depending on his college schedule next fall it may be his last event as a youth, as he ages out a couple months later. So I am looking forward to being there with him. 

• It is an outstanding event for fellowship. You will meet Arrowmen from all across the country (including from overseas). 
  • You will get exceptional insight into how the best ceremony teams perform. 
  • A very broad selection of training (NLS and DYLC are great, but more narrowly defined that what's at NOAC)
  • Great Shows
  • Plenty of activities for youth and adult - check out the museum if they bring it back
  • Oh yeah, and patch trading

It's a great event and I try not to miss it. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks

I am going with my daughter. I am debating on being on staff vs the contingent. I’m not currently an advisor, I only provide the lodge executive committee with their safety moment. I attended 2 as a youth. 

So - attend as a staff or with the contingent? Thoughts?

No clue, @mrjohns2, sorry!

Since I posted this I found the 2018 "course catalog" online. Tons of great opportunities for my son, but based on what I could see, I though the days might be kind of empty for adults.

Now you have me thinking about staff... though with a week with my troop at summer camp (or 2, if the boy's troop needs me as well) and another likely week volunteering at a different camp, I'm thinking I might skip NOAC.  There's only but so much of my summer I'm willing to dedicate to scouting, not to mention my PTO bank at work!

Decisions!

15 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Ultimately that may come down to any limitations set by NOAC and what you Lodge needs in terms of its contingent. 

Initially, in 2018 there was limitation on number and ratio of adults to youth. Eventually, that was relaxed and maybe even removed.

If that turns out not to be a consideration, and you have never been as an adult, it might be worth attending with the contingent to get a feel for the event from the "other side".

There is also discussion on participants having an opportunity, or even a request, to volunteer a certain amount of time to ear the participation award. As of my last discussion that had not been determined. 

I will be attending as staff (my first time staffing). My son has a decision to make, he has been tapped as NOAC Chair & contingent leader, but he has also been approached about staffing. 

In 2018 I did not have an issue finding trainings, there was the Pilot program, many classes as well as forums, roundtables and discussions to choose from. In many cases I was torn between which programs to attend because times conflicted. I would expect much of the schedule to come out in January or shortly thereafter once the National Meeting has completed. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, HelpfulTracks said:

Ultimately that may come down to any limitations set by NOAC and what you Lodge needs in terms of its contingent. 

Initially, in 2018 there was limitation on number and ratio of adults to youth. Eventually, that was relaxed and maybe even removed.

If that turns out not to be a consideration, and you have never been as an adult, it might be worth attending with the contingent to get a feel for the event from the "other side".

There is also discussion on participants having an opportunity, or even a requested, to volunteer a certain amount of time to earn the participation award. As of my last discussion that had not been determined. 

I will be attending as staff (my first time staffing). My son has a decision to make, he has been tapped as NOAC Chair & contingent leader, but he has also been approached about staffing. 

In 2018 I did not have an issue finding trainings, there was the Pilot program, many classes as well as forums, roundtables and discussions to choose from. In many cases I was torn between which programs to attend because times conflicted. I would expect much of the schedule to come out in January or shortly thereafter once the National Meeting has completed. 

I will be there. I will be our Lodge's adult contingent leader and as luck would have it my son will be the youth leader.  Tons of classes, trainings, fun events, and fellowship. I had a blast in '18 and look forward to going again!

• Upvote 1
On 9/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, mrjohns2 said:

I am going with my daughter. I am debating on being on staff vs the contingent. I’m not currently an advisor, I only provide the lodge executive committee with their safety moment. I attended 2 as a youth. 

I went as an advisor with a contingent and ended up doing some staff work as well.  They both are enjoyable.  To be honest my favorite memory of NOAC is getting my trail crew certification and working on rehabbing trail.  Was trained by and worked with some top notch folks who are/ were OAHA foreman and staff.  It was great to leave a lasting legacy and perform service on the scale that we did.  

• 5 months later...

Just registered the kiddo last night - so he'll be attending.  I'm going to have to skip this year, as I have two week's worth of summer camp back-to-back this year.  I can't wait to hear the trip report when he gets home!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay. I happened to be looking at the NESA site because I'm trying to get replacement pins, medal and credentials for a new friend whose ex burned all his memorabilia. Anywho, I noticed an article from those attending NOAC. I  clicked, scanned and my eye was drawn to this line. I'm sorry, but it made me laugh.

"NESA’s newest class for those continuing their educational adventure entitled, “Free Money: A Boy Scouts of America Guide..."

Edited by ThenNow
  • Haha 1

Taken out of context, the full sentence

1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Okay. I happened to be looking at the NESA site because I'm trying to get replacement pins, medal and credentials for a new friend whose ex burned all his memorabilia. Anywho, I noticed an article from those attending NOAC. I  clicked, scanned and my eye was drawn to this line. I'm sorry, but it made me laugh.

"NESA’s newest class for those continuing their educational adventure entitled, “Free Money: A Boy Scouts of America Guide..."

We will carry with us the knowledge gained from insightful seminars including:

NESA’s newest class for those continuing their educational adventure entitled, “Free Money: A Boy Scouts of America Guide to Effectively Complete Scholarship Applications.”

https://nesa.org/news/final-notes-from-knoxville-headed-to-jamboree-23/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1