Hello from California!

Hi!  I am a volunteer mom of a Star scout.  I am here to learn, to be more informed, and to seek answers for questions I have about scouting.  I must admit, I've already learned so much more here than elsewhere, thank you very much!  I am going to read through as much of the topics and threads here as I can and I am truly grateful to everyone who contribute and share their perspectives and knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I am currently a unit level volunteer and handles troop registrations and memberships.  I am also a merit badge counselor.  I am happy with these "jobs" but I find myself getting frustrated at times when I see that a lot of people around me don't do the "job" they are supposed to do.

My Scout is enjoying scouting and always has.  I will never forget the day he came home from kindergarten and told me excitedly that he wanted to be a Scout.  I've talked to him about the BSA lawsuit and possible outcomes, and we've resolved to just keep right on Scouting.  He aims to earn the Life rank in six months and hopes to earn the Eagle rank next year.

I am happy to be here at this forum where I can feel the spirit of Scouting and I will be sure to post my questions as they come up.  Thank you for having me at this campfire!

12 hours ago, Wondering said:

I am currently a unit level volunteer and handles troop registrations and memberships.  I am also a merit badge counselor.  I am happy with these "jobs" but I find myself getting frustrated at times when I see that a lot of people around me don't do the "job" they are supposed to do.

Welcome!!

Get to know your local registrar by name...talk with them often ;)  You both can save each other a lot of frustration!

As far as other people not doing the job they are supposed to do (or have agreed to do), this usually stems from ignorance about what their actual tasks are, then a lack of knowledge on how to do them, then from fear of being found out that they don't actually know what they are supposed to do or how to do it.  It usually is not a result of laziness or lack of diligence.  This is where a good Committee Chair comes in, with a detailed list of expectations and tasks for a position.

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip, InquisitiveScouter!

You're right, a lot of the people who want to help simply don't have all the information they need to do their jobs right or well.  Next time I feel frustration sneaking in I shall remind myself to be more understanding and help them if I can, or gently steer them back to the Committee Chair. 🙂

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Wondering said:

Thank you for the tip, InquisitiveScouter!

You're right, a lot of the people who want to help simply don't have all the information they need to do their jobs right or well.  Next time I feel frustration sneaking in I shall remind myself to be more understanding and help them if I can, or gently steer them back to the Committee Chair. 🙂

First off, apologies for misinterpreting your original introduction - I read it as "Scouting curious" not "Already rafting and looking for oars". :)

I was going to pile on to InquisitiveScouter's suggestion and also suggest a conversation with the CC, prior to steering folks towards them.  "I've noticed this, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in helping to solve this by counseling some of the other adult leaders on how to be most effective in their roles..." or something like that.  It gives the CC a heads up, and also an opportunity for the CC to reflect on what those responsibilities actually are for your troop's leadership corps.

Besides, if you have the CC on the same mission you are on, then your mission just got half as hard! :D