Statement by the United Methodist Church

@gpurlee  Thanks for the education.  I would have thought that the FAQ would have been released with the agreement notification (oh well)

I'm unclear how the UMC would avoid any lawsuits if they had any involvement associated with scouting (even providing space).   The lawyers might say you are still involved in scouting and not being a sponsor now doesn't alleviate prosecution for a lawsuit when you were a sponsor.   Will they take the same approach for all their youth groups?

Also the UMC must know where the abuse was/is and take action on those churches not indict the entire UMC.

Maybe #5 option is to merge with another unit if #1-4 don't work.

JMHO...we will see how it works out. Hopefully the best for the scouts as they should be priority #1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the current Board of Trustees Chair for a UMC congregation that chartered a Troop for 101 years.  We also chartered a Cub Scout Pack and a Girl's Troop.  In the past, I served as Scoutmaster for t

The desire to be a CO is still there, but there are some issues that need to be addressed.  As a CO, you have been told for years that you are covered under an insurance policy only to find out you we

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement! I was SM and Committee Chair for the church-Chartered Scout Troop and CM and Committee Chair for the Pack. Currently, I'm Chair of the church Trustees an

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, PACAN said:

That's interesting since #1 is not in the UMC/BSA signed agreement.

#3 is also interesting. Don't give up any assets until you transfer them to your new Charter Partner

I figure its a result of Council not wanting to be in the business of chartering Units.  Also, possible something was worked out at the Council level so they assume liability so that option 1 is an option?

19 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I figure its a result of Council not wanting to be in the business of chartering Units.  Also, possible something was worked out at the Council level so they assume liability so that option 1 is an option?

Unless something has changed in the last few weeks the UMC was very upfront during the webinar with them and national council that there would be no exceptions to what was in the negotiated affiliation agreement.

As many councils do not want to go the council holds the charter route I am pessimistic about the future of scouting and the UMC.

Wonder what your IH will say monday.

I have heard of no UMC units that want #2.   

Units are probably better off doing #3 on their own vice having the council do it.  New Charter might be in East oshkosh wisconsin 😜

59 minutes ago, PACAN said:

The top part talks about 120 day transition period starting July 1st.

Yeah, 120 days from July 1 to Oct 31 I think to get everything signed and ready.  But getting the info to us at the end of July I guess isnt a big deal. to them. ;) 

I sent an email to our Council yesterday afternoon to clarify option 1.  He said the option for us is a result of decision by the UMC Oklahoma Conference.  He said the majority of UMC churches in Oklahoma have decided to keep things the same as they were.  Our Council has Units in southern OK, so they decided to also go this route.  

Thats my clarification from Council on the matter of Option 1.  :)

Interesting..so it appears that the UMC the individual conferences can do what they want.   Confusing to the other C10 Texas units that probably go the same SE communication.