Statement by the United Methodist Church

1 minute ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Is BSA trying to get the CO's covered in the channeling injunction??

Yes; however, they are only covered Jan 1, 1976 and later (per current plan).  Pre 1976 they are not covered.  Depending on state, they could be sued directly unless they offer payment that all parties accept.  LDS offered $250M for coverage of about 3,000 or so claims (not sure fully which of those are pre 1976).

The Coalition and BSA said this is now  a framework for other COs; however, I have a hard time seeing the Methodist Church coming up with >$200M.  Perhaps they will.  

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the current Board of Trustees Chair for a UMC congregation that chartered a Troop for 101 years.  We also chartered a Cub Scout Pack and a Girl's Troop.  In the past, I served as Scoutmaster for t

The desire to be a CO is still there, but there are some issues that need to be addressed.  As a CO, you have been told for years that you are covered under an insurance policy only to find out you we

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement! I was SM and Committee Chair for the church-Chartered Scout Troop and CM and Committee Chair for the Pack. Currently, I'm Chair of the church Trustees an

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MacBrave said:

The Boy Scouts of America and United Methodist leadership continue to work together to resolve matters related to BSA’s financial restructuring and have agreed, in the best interest of the young people who participate in Scouting, to strongly recommend to United Methodist Church chartering organizations and Boy Scout Councils to extend existing Charter Agreements and Facility Use Agreements in force at this time through March 31, 2022. There will be no additional fee required from those chartering organizations through March 31, 2022. This will pause new chartering, re-chartering and the use of facility use agreements with United Methodist churches. This automatic extension will allow Boy Scouts of America, United Methodist leadership, and other parties in the bankruptcy case time to resolve important issues affecting Chartered Organizations, including a favorable release for Chartered Organizations for any Scout abuse claims.

We are extremely pleased with this announcement as it allows Scouting to continue uninterrupted for the Scouts, leaders, and Scouting families in units chartered by Methodist churches.

This part seems to have gone out verbatim to every Methodist Conference.  We got the same information in a letter last week, however, there are churches in our district and council who have looked at the wording "strongly recommend" and have said 'nope, this does not change anything for us'.

Hoping that something gets worked out to allow the relationship between the church and BSA to continue.

• 4 weeks later...

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC AND UNITED METHODIST AD HOC COMMITTEES’ NOTICE OF IDENTIFICATION OF TOPICS FOR WHICH THEY INTEND TO OFFER EXPERT TESTIMONY

...the Roman Catholic and United Methodist Ad Hoc Committees intend to offer expert testimony on the following topics:
1. The feasibility of the Debtors’ Plan of Reorganization, including but not limited to the achievability of the Debtors’ financial projections set forth in Exhibit E to the Disclosure Statement; and
2. The historical quantum of insurance coverage purchased by the Debtors and the Local Councils and the extent to which such insurance coverage extends to Chartered Organization

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/2b0cded0-bbe1-4aed-a919-41851a746a68_7228.pdf

I'm sure there's more information being shared in mediation than is being made public, but I am amazed at the paucity of knowledge about the insurance.  Despite all the questions and back and forth about BSA's restructuring, and the LCs and COs contribution , THE seminal issue in this case seems to me to be the insurance.  I don't see how anything gets finalized until that's hashed out. 

2 hours ago, yknot said:

What a shame both Cynical Scouter and ThenNow are gone. Their commentary on something like this would have been insightful and likely provided more context. 

I agree.  I miss both of them for their insightfulness and ability to bring clarity to issues.  I also miss @ThenNowfor his humor and self deprecating attitude that not everyone appreciated.  I miss @CynicalScouter also for his passion and his honesty.  Many a time I posted something wondering if it would pass muster with him and if he made a comment back to me I knew it would be his truth.  Once again something not always appreciated.  I believe the loss of both of these men on this forum is a loss for the forum community no matter which side of the issues you believe in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11/12/21 Update from the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church:

"The BSA is mailing the packets to all known chartered organizations. The packet is expected to include an “opt out” form related to chartered organizations’ options. In addition, churches that filed a “proof of claim” with the bankruptcy court during the designated timeframe will also receive a ballot. 

The United Methodist Ad Hoc Committee, which advocates for United Methodist interests within the bankruptcy process, has advised that churches that receive the packet should not take any action at this time and should not fill out the opt-out form under any circumstances..."

More information in source link below:

https://www.ngumc.org/newsdetail/bsa-bankruptcy-update-november-12-2011-15762878

Similar information from North Carolina Conference

https://nccumc.org/news/2021/11/next-steps-in-the-boy-scouts-of-america-bankruptcy-case/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 3 weeks later...

United Methodist congregations will be encouraged to vote "no" to the proposed BSA restructuring plan. 

Reasons stated include inadequate compensation for the survivors of abuse and concerns that issues surrounding church liability have not been adequately addressed.

UMC congregations who have previously submitted claims will be able to cast a single individual vote per congregation. Many conferences are conducting zoom meetings involving these congregations this weekend to review the proposal as well as the national ad hoc committee recommendations in order to submit the votes before the upcoming deadline.

UMC churches who sponsor or have sponsored Scouting units were previously strongly encouraged to submit "protective" claims to the bankruptcy court to ensure that their interests would be protected.. These claims were summitted before the claim submission deadline ended last year.

Mediations between the UMC and other chartered organizations with the BSA have been described as difficult and challenging by insiders. The UMC previously filed paperwork with the court requesting to provide expert testimony challenging the BSA restructuring plan and its assumptions.

The UMC is the largest remaining national charter organization but many local congregations have moved recently to either totally drop the BSA program or to move to a facility use agreement. The local council would hold the charter in that instance. However, some local councils have balked at the facility use agreements stating that they do not have the staff resources to adequately oversee units.

To read more:

https://um-insight.net/in-the-church/local-church/united-methodists-poised-to-reject-boy-scouts-bankruptcy-pl/?fbclid=IwAR3u4MdgyA75jJxrS8Ckwb0UDhKyz00v7gjTBXPJvRAlB71oQdTpBUnvGds

Edited by gpurlee
  • Thanks 1

It might be good to have a complete look at what is shared by the Church on the Methodist Mens' Site, who are responsible for the Scouts.  The above is an incomplete and misleading piece, and it does not lend itself to the larger picture.  Here is the link to the actual Methodist site, including the announcement.  Note the additional comments regarding "ongoing negotiations", as that changes the the picture dramatically.  Still a mess, but posting incomplete info is not helpful.  https://www.umc.org/en/content/congregations-encouraged-to-vote-no-on-bsa-bankruptcy-plan

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

It might be good to have a complete look at what is shared by the Church on the Methodist Mens' Site, who are responsible for the Scouts.  The above is an incomplete and misleading piece, and it does not lend itself to the larger picture.  Here is the link to the actual Methodist site, including the announcement.  Note the additional comments regarding "ongoing negotiations", as that changes the the picture dramatically.  Still a mess, but posting incomplete info is not helpful.  https://www.umc.org/en/content/congregations-encouraged-to-vote-no-on-bsa-bankruptcy-plan

It's always good to have more information but it seems like the article that was posted is actualy far more indepth and complete than the press release on the MM site. What was your point of contention? 

10 minutes ago, yknot said:

It's always good to have more information but it seems like the article that was posted is actualy far more indepth and complete than the press release on the MM site. What was your point of contention? 

That she did not include the part where they note that it is still in negotiation and that the No vote recommendation would, and could change if the ongoing discussions  reach an agreement.  That is sort of important.  I have seen other articles from her that also leave bits and pieces out in realtion to the Church ongoing issues, such as the LBQT disruptions.  

42 minutes ago, skeptic said:

That she did not include the part where they note that it is still in negotiation and that the No vote recommendation would, and could change if the ongoing discussions  reach an agreement.  That is sort of important.  I have seen other articles from her that also leave bits and pieces out in realtion to the Church ongoing issues, such as the LBQT disruptions.  

Gotcha. It makes sense that the Methodist Men would remain hopeful that something might still be worked out. 

I had forwarded this recent item to our local church, who just a few weeks ago told us we are theirs as far as they are concerned, but maybe under the lease option.  Now she tells us that should they not arrive at a satifactory agreement, they are being told that too is out the door.  A century of service with our church; it is simply maddening.  The church loves us, but they cannot put themselves in a position of legal danger, especially as they too, as the oldest protestant church in our city, are struggling.  The really sad thing of course is that the mainline churches are at the forefront of working with transients and the less fortunate.  Our facility leases to a half dozen or more groups that serve the community social issues.  In the next few days, or youth from all three very tiny groups will be helping make cards for seniors, and collecting food for local pantries.

38 minutes ago, skeptic said:

A century of service with our church; it is simply maddening.  The church loves us, but they cannot put themselves in a position of legal danger, especially as they too, as the oldest protestant church in our city, are struggling. 

A lot of the mainline Churches have sponsored Scouting for decades. As you note, many of them including our sponsor are contending with years of declining membership and face their own set of threats and challenges. We are hopeful that our 111 year relationship will survive this period. Our pastors over many years have noted that for many residents in our community, their association with and knowledge of our church came from their involvement in our Scouting programs.  Nevertheless, there is a high level of fear and trepidation among the area churches that Scouting today carries too high of a risk and the BSA is no longer a trustworthy partner.  I have been saddened by the significant loss of chartered organizations in our region in the past six months. Hopefully, your program will survive and continue to serve the youth of your community assuming that the BSA survives.

• Sad 1