Chapter 11 Announced - Part 6 - Plan 5.0/TCC Plan TBD

"A lawyer for sex abuse survivors in the Boy Scouts of America's bankruptcy said on Wednesday that two attorneys for the official committee representing survivors' interests in the case should be disqualified after the committee sent an "inflammatory" email about the BSA's proposed reorganization plan and sex abuse litigation settlement."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/boy-scouts-survivor-committee-lawyers-face-call-dismissal-bankruptcy-2021-11-17/

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not,

A few months ago, one of the posters here offered some great advice I thought.  Type what you intend  to say. Set it aside for a few minutes and look at it again before you press "post". Does it

Normally I wouldn't discuss user issues, but given his profile pic and signature I'm going to make an exception: Regardless of the impression given by his profile picture and signature line, Cyni

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

All I asked was what the news might be.  Is that somehow offensive?

No.  The Tweets and all reference to those tweets were removed.  Your comment was fine; however, since it included the tweet it was removed.  

As you asked.  It sounds like something was mentioned about an announcement tomorrow.  I'm not sure where this came from (perhaps the Coalition townhall).  Perhaps someone knows.

43 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

All I asked was what the news might be.  Is that somehow offensive?

Not at all. If there actually is some news tomorrow then that's great. Right now the only news is the mediator left, and nobody knows anything beyond that.

Another hearing tomorrow.  

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/58ffd639-8ef1-47e7-841e-36ea38c1e32c_7327.pdf

• Insurance companies are demanding BSA provide details on the claims tables.  The judge agreed back in October and the BSA produced about a million pages of documents.  However, many of the details are listed as withheld due to privilege.  
  • Various insurance companies are pushing back on discovery.  
  • Insurance companies pushing to get groups to comply with discovery about proof of claims (several different insurance companies and a variety (primarily coalition) law firms

I don't see much or anything about the email ... so perhaps that has settled for now.

The TCC appears to be negotiating with various insurance groups regarding their requested discovery.  They appear to have agreed to allow that negotiation to proceed without asking the judge to jump in yet.

To me, the biggest question, is the POCs.  If the insurance company finds questionable POCs and they really impact the law firms with large numbers, you may see some big impacts.  What happens if they find 15 - 20K claims were falsely filed and never vetted?  If history is repeated, the judge will exclude their votes.  

It will be interesting if she forces the hands of Slater Slater Schulman and Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C.  Both are coalition members with thousands of claims that are a bit suspect.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

It will be interesting if she forces the hands of Slater Slater Schulman and Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C.  Both are coalition members with thousands of claims that are a bit suspect.

This might be why the coalition is pushing for the low ball offer.  If a majority of their claims are bogus they know those claimants will want the $3500.  Their piece of that might be worth more than their legitimate claims.

Richard M. Pachulski, co-founder of PSZJ, is now lead counsel for Torts Claimants' Committee.

from lead of an article, the remainder of which requires subscription.

https://www.law360.com/pulse/articles/1442306/pachulski-founder-takes-reins-after-scouts-ch-11-email-row

second source:

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/7e4cb9fb-2b3b-4e18-bc02-41b997dcfa92_7372.pdf

As I understand Jim Stang had been lead counsel for TCC.

Edited by RememberSchiff
5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Richard M. Pachulski, co-founder of PSZJ, is now lead counsel for Torts Claimants' Committee.

The comparison between the two groups is increasingly striking.  The TCC in order to avoid ANY connection to a mistake by one of its staff replaces its lead with another attorney from the firm.  The Coalition Tells everyone in its Tuesday night Town Hall to tune back in Friday for BIG news and has....NONE.  High road....low road.

6 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

The comparison between the two groups is increasingly striking.  The TCC in order to avoid ANY connection to a mistake by one of its staff replaces its lead with another attorney from the firm.  The Coalition Tells everyone in its Tuesday night Town Hall to tune back in Friday for BIG news and has....NONE.  High road....low road.

Surely you cannot be surprised.  I have found the integrity of the TCC and its legal team to be top notch.  

24 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

I think this is the “big” news.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/coalition-of-abused-scouts-for-justice-secures-support-from-ad-hoc-committee-to-appoint-survivors-to-local-council-boards-301429165.html

Just now, Eagle1993 said:

I disagree.  Look, I applaud ANY survivor involvement but this is putting a band-aid on a spurting artery.  Will survivors help at any level?  Sure.  But think as well how that is going to shake out over the coming years and the challenges inherent with volunteers let alone with the sensitivity of the "qualification" needed.  What's needed is an independent body made up of  survivors, bsa-types and MOST importantly outside experts to inform the BSA and make recommendations, assess accountability and data to be published, and serve at the highest levels.  First the BSA said it would add a Survivor to its Board.  ONE Survivor.  Now LCs are saying the same.  The TCC has repeatedly said that an organization responsible for 82,500 victims needs a lot more than that.  All this seems to me to be is again the absolute minimum and may even do more harm than good.  Abuse has gone on with well-meaning volunteers serving on Boards.  Adding ONE Survivor, as the press release says will help but Survivors, and I'm one, do NOT have the expertise to make recommendations and enact cutting edge abuse elimination protocols.  So disappointing.

I hid the argument about our VP as it really, honestly, completely has absolutely nothing to do with this case. Everyone, the announcement was just an attempt at light humor.

Let's get back to why Stang stepped down.

As for all the announcements about upcoming announcements, they're nothing but bait to keep everyone glued to each side's message stream.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1