Chapter 11 Announced - Part 6 - Plan 5.0/TCC Plan TBD

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not,

A few months ago, one of the posters here offered some great advice I thought.  Type what you intend  to say. Set it aside for a few minutes and look at it again before you press "post". Does it

Normally I wouldn't discuss user issues, but given his profile pic and signature I'm going to make an exception: Regardless of the impression given by his profile picture and signature line, Cyni

Posted Images

I'm sure there are many victims, besides me, who have researched SoL and reached out to legislators about a change or window.  I'm equally confident more States will enact changes to their SoL.  And as the case develops, more avenues are opening up to toll the SoL's.  So how can the Grey matrix be set in stone when laws are fluid?

This has always been my line in the sand.  I will never feel justice when the poor fellow across the river from me receives 5x my settlement for what may be a lower level of abuse, simply because he is in another jurisdiction.  I'm aware that we are time barred.  But I'm also aware how I was lured into this scam, with terms of "equitable compensation" and confidentiality.

To me, it all comes down to justice, closure, peace or some combination thereof.  And with my 1/82500 vote, I will never approve such a plan.  I was told point-blank that because the was a bankruptcy, SoL would not apply or I would not have gone through this, just as I haven't done my entire adult life since being informed of the SoL on civil action 40 years ago.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

I'm sure there are many victims, besides me, who have researched SoL and reached out to legislators about a change or window.  I'm equally confident more States will enact changes to their SoL.  And as the case develops, more avenues are opening up to toll the SoL's.  So how can the Grey matrix be set in stone when laws are fluid?

This has always been my line in the sand.  I will never feel justice when the poor fellow across the river from me receives 5x my settlement for what may be a lower level of abuse, simply because he is in another jurisdiction.  I'm aware that we are time barred.  But I'm also aware how I was lured into this scam, with terms of "equitable compensation" and confidentiality.

To me, it all comes down to justice, closure, peace or some combination thereof.  And with my 1/82500 vote, I will never approve such a plan.  I was told point-blank that because the was a bankruptcy, SoL would not apply or I would not have gone through this, just as I haven't done my entire adult life since being informed of the SoL on civil action 40 years ago.

I wish I could up vote this 100000000 times

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone received the packet yet?

i have no desire for my spouse to question the package. I have delayed an out of town trip for two weeks now. It looks like I’ll need to wait again.

Also, the  transcripts from town halls have been updated. I missed a lot on the 7th after zoom 1 hour shutdown.

Patiently waking for CS to return with his comments, even those I may not like or agree.

Lawyers and moderators are not on my gift list.

1 minute ago, RobertCalifornia said:

Anyone received the packet yet?

i have no desire for my spouse to question the package. I have delayed an out of town trip for two weeks now. It looks like I’ll need to wait again.

Also, the  transcripts from town halls have been updated. I missed a lot on the 7th after zoom 1 hour shutdown.

Patiently waking for CS to return with his comments, even those I may not like or agree.

Lawyers and moderators are not on my gift list.

Assuming this is coming via USPS, if you don't already have it, sign up for Informed Delivery at usps.com.  Then you will see in the early morning what is arriving that day (and sometimes what is arriving in the next few days).  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Eagle1970 said:

I was told point-blank that because the was a bankruptcy, SoL would not apply or I would not have gone through this, just as I haven't done my entire adult life since being informed of the SoL on civil action 40 years ago.

That was a tangential comment I heard, as well. I was a little dubious/concerned, but was hopeful it was correct. For me, it was conversation I read surrounding the potential entry into Chapter 11. Would you be willing to identify your direct source? You may have mentioned this before, but I’d like to confirm. As you know, this whole thing makes me very sad, for all the reasons you expressed very well.

I was told point-blank that because the was a bankruptcy, SoL would not apply or I would not have gone through this, just as I haven't done my entire adult life since being informed of the SoL on civil action 40 years ago.

Do you mind sharing who told you this?  I ask only because it of course isn't true as bankruptcy is practiced and it's important for all of us to know when we can where bad information may be coming from.  I absolutely understand if you don't want to share it!  

2 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

Do you mind sharing who told you this?  I ask only because it of course isn't true as bankruptcy is practiced and it's important for all of us to know when we can where bad information may be coming from.  I absolutely understand if you don't want to share it!  

Oo. Oo. Let him quote me. I asked first. Fair is fair. 😬

It is a gambling game.  I've read on SOLs to try to understand reasoning and laws.  Some will open.  Others, maybe in the longer term.  Some will never open.  

Pennsylvania?  ... Penn State abuse cases.  I'm not sure they could honestly re-open SOLs without opening up for Penn State / government liability for most government institutions.  I'm not sure the state would want to do that. 

Utah with LDS? 

Texas being very conservative?

Other states that had open SOLs that expired years ago.  Will they want to re-open yet again?  

I think it's a longer path to re-open SOLs.

2 hours ago, ThenNow said:

That was a tangential comment I heard, as well. I was a little dubious/concerned, but was hopeful it was correct. For me, it was conversation I read surrounding the potential entry into Chapter 11. Would you be willing to identify your direct source? You may have mentioned this before, but I’d like to confirm. As you know, this whole thing makes me very sad, for all the reasons you expressed very well.

To the best of my knowledge, it was Omni.

31 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

To the best of my knowledge, it was Omni.

Was the statement something to the effect of, “Everyone will receive an award regardless of the state where their abuse occurred”?

Edited by ThenNow

Ok. Color me cynical (nod to our pal in the penalty box), but I find it painful, ironic and curious that the following is the very first “survivor endorsement” on the Coalition of Abused Attorneys for Payoff’s website. Honestly, I was shocked, but not surprised. (Forgive me if this Eagle Scout from Texas is you, but I felt it relevant to share here.) I, for one, would not have lead with this testimony, for a variety of reasons, optics being among them, Here it is:

“I am an Eagle Scout, I have sons who are Eagle Scouts, and I remain an active and dedicated volunteer in the Boy Scouts of America. My life, however, has been deeply and irrevocably impacted by the abuse perpetrated upon me beginning when I was 13 years old, and which continued until I was 18. I was a child, and while I primarily blame the predators involved, the BSA bears a significant measure of responsibility for my abuse, and should be held accountable.

Nevertheless, despite the long-term, repeated abuse I suffered at the hands of a PROFESSIONAL Scouter and an older youth member, I still believe the BSA remains the greatest organization in America for raising youth into responsible adults. Where there are lambs, there will always be wolves, and no level of vigilance on the part of the shepherd will thwart every wolf. Reflecting back, one reason I have maintained such an active presence in the BSA is to guard that no Scout under my watch ever has to experience abuse.

When I have the option, I will vote yes, in favor of resolution, certainly to gain an element of closure, but more so because I see a clear future for the BSA, in which it comes back better and safer than before, to benefit young people across the country and through the years.”

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

and should be held accountable.

Accountable in the least possible way?

4 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Where there are lambs, there will always be wolves, and no level of vigilance on the part of the shepherd will thwart every wolf.

Once again some level of CSA is expected.

4 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

When I have the option, I will vote yes, in favor of resolution, certainly to gain an element of closure, but more so because I see a clear future for the BSA, in which it comes back better and safer than before, to benefit young people across the country and through the years.”

A No vote does make the BSA go away but most likely make them more accountable, and will put more vigilance in the way of YPT.  At least more than 1 token member survivor on the Board.

• Upvote 1