Chapter 11 Announced - Part 6 - Plan 5.0/TCC Plan TBD

17 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

but telling folks it'll be like the MSU settlement when it mathematically cannot makes the victims more likely to reject a deal when "the best deal possible" is on the table. 

That is not what I say.  And if someone does not want to use the wording that I have they can use their own.  The point is to get the TCC view out to those who may not have another oppurtunity to see it

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not,

A few months ago, one of the posters here offered some great advice I thought.  Type what you intend  to say. Set it aside for a few minutes and look at it again before you press "post". Does it

Normally I wouldn't discuss user issues, but given his profile pic and signature I'm going to make an exception: Regardless of the impression given by his profile picture and signature line, Cyni

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

but telling folks it'll be like the MSU settlement when it mathematically cannot makes the victims more likely to reject a deal when "the best deal possible" is on the table. 

I don’t read a settlement number from another sexual abuse case as telling anyone “it’ll be like” that amount. I understand you’re (likely) saying it will be misinterpreted. Perhaps. Perhaps people are not as dense as assumed. (Not saying that you are.) If my son was selling his baseball cards and I know one is worth $20, and we could trade it for $18, if another boy offered him $4, I’d say “You know, Jimmy got $24 for his in worse shape, with the right buyer on a good day. I recommend you reject and counter offer.” I think that is all brother John is saying. “Look at that value (as perceived and as established by the comp’s) and ponder what’s being offered. It ain’t enough. Let’s make them come back to the table and we’re going to set the menu this time.”

Edited by ThenNow
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

We have decades of experience managing disappointment.

One of the saddest things I have ever read, particularly considering it is written in the context of a "principled" youth organization's failure to protect children.  Particularly with respect to an organization that has a mandatory religious declaration component.

"That which you do the least of mine, you do to me."   --Jesus.

For me, BSA has no answer to that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

One of the saddest things I have ever read, particularly considering it is written in the context of a "principled" youth organization's failure to protect children.  Particularly with respect to an organization that has a mandatory religious declaration component.

I think I’m know to be a person faithful to acknowledge and recognize statements, like yours, that are (to use a terribly diluted word that needs to be reclaimed) precious. This is one of the huge missing components of BSA’s approach to this matter and us. I know. I know. I’ve yammered as much as anyone about imaging and wordsmithing before making statements, but a tear or three wouldn’t have done anyone additional “damage” to reputation or exacerbated already obvious culpability and liability. That is one reason we wept during Mr. Johnson’s statement. A tough, battle-tested former police officer was not only willing but did publicly exhibit sorrow, remorse, regret, empathy and vulnerability. That is the very first time I’ve seen, heard or read anything remotely resembling that posture, delivery and affect from anyone affiliated with Scouts, save some present company. So, thanks, even though you were affirming an unpleasant and, to some, deniable reality. 

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

@ThenNow perhaps I'm dense, I'd read it like a potential comp if I was on the plaintiff side. Maybe it's because my job involves writing policies and making sure there isn't a way to misinterpret them, that I instinctively look for "How can this be misunderstood?" 

I don’t think you’re dense and I get it. My example was the best I could do for oversimplification. The message he’s trying to communicate is: “This isn’t good enough and we can do better. See what they’ve gotten?” Also, when we’re told upfront that we all will be “equitably compensated” - though that was made in complete darkness, ignorance, as well as ill-advised from a PR and legal standpoint - they said it. Loud and clear. It was the clarion call for us to file claims. If we point to larger settlements to get the “RETURN TO SENDER” message out, I don’t think anyone is thinking that’s what I’ll get. Honestly, will most people (reasonable or not) think BSA is gonna come up with $1M per after offering $57,000? If so, they’ve been listening to Coalition Radio, PL5.0 on their AM dial too much. “Spinning lollipop dreams and speculation 24/7. And, remember kids in Radioland: When you say, ‘Yes!’ we say ‘Cha-Ching!’.”

Edited by ThenNow

Couple of youz here already know my home LC. Just received a donation solicitation with a very large “up to” match cap. It begins. “Our contribution commitments have been made and locked in (or so we think), now let the donations resume!” None too subtle, says I.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, MYCVAStory said:

Sorry if someone has mentioned it but TCC Town Hall tonight.

I’ll join in if someone will guarantee me that Dr. Kennedy will reiterate that succinct, three-word summary of his thoughts and feelings on the Plan. I found it concurrently refreshing, illuminating, motivating, captivating and sleek. Efficiency of language. Perfect phrasing. Emphatic vocalization and enunciation. No words minced. No breath wasted. I mused on my first exposure to Hemingway. I’ll tune it just to see if we hear it again. 

New Jersey's five councils, serving 54,500 youths with assets totaling $56 million are being asked to contribute $14.2 million toward a $600 million council share of the proposed $1.9 billion national settlement. 

Two Pennsylvania councils that serve parts of New Jersey with total assets of $23 million are being asked to contribute another $4 million.

John Lucas, the (TCC) panel's bankruptcy attorney, says New Jersey's share of the settlement alone should be closer to $44 million and with the two Pennsylvania councils should total $58 million.

The seven councils serving New Jersey residents have remained uniformly silent on the settlement. Their CEOs have followed national instructions to focus on each council's "business as usual," sympathizing with abuse victims but offering little if any information on the settlement's local impact.

However, councils in New York, Iowa and Arizona have begun telling their memberships what their share of the settlement will be, and how it will be financed.

The assessments are not divided proportionally according to a state's share of the suits. Northern New Jersey Council has 525 abuse suits, or 42.5% of the state's 1,235 total claims, but is contributing only $3.06 million, or 21.6% of the total assessment for the five councils. 

Source links with more details

https://www.app.com/story/news/2021/10/15/boy-scouts-of-america-sex-abuse-settlement-offer/6076281001/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2021/10/15/boy-scouts-of-america-sex-abuse-settlement-offer/6076281001/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, RobertCalifornia said:

When should a claimant receive the court mailing?  I’m on my own without an attorney and I have not received anything yet. I thought October 15 was mentioned somewhere. 

I missed the TCC meeting. I hope they post the video today. 

I only caught a small portion but I believe that they said they are going into the mail this week.  So I would expect you see this next week. 

My observation is the moderators on this site are half crazy.

I've never seen so much editing and censorship. Some attorneys are lions and some are vultures. Let people speak their mind.

Placing CS in some kind of delayed post prison is silly. Nobody would understand 1/2 of this case without his posts. We sure don’t need his posts censored and whitewashed. Are the moderators simply jealous of his posts?

If BSA fails, what will the moderators do? Sit around in green shorts and red jackets trading old antique patches?  

• Downvote 2
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

New Jersey's five councils, serving 54,500 youths with assets totaling $56 million are being asked to contribute $14.2 million toward a $600 million council share of the proposed $1.9 billion national settlement. 

Two Pennsylvania councils that serve parts of New Jersey with total assets of $23 million are being asked to contribute another $4 million.

John Lucas, the (TCC) panel's bankruptcy attorney, says New Jersey's share of the settlement alone should be closer to $44 million and with the two Pennsylvania councils should total $58 million.

The assessments are not divided proportionally according to a state's share of the suits. Northern New Jersey Council has 525 abuse suits, or 42.5% of the state's 1,235 total claims, but is contributing only $3.06 million, or 21.6% of the total assessment for the five councils. 

So, if I read this right, John Lucas says the NJ & PA councils should be giving over 70% of their total assets?  Will that leave them with 2 years' worth of operating funds?  (I thought that was part of it.)  I would be surprised if most non-profits could survive after giving that much.

There are many opinions about what percentage of assets should be contributed.  Northern New Jersey Council's proposed contribution is over 30% of their total net assets.  For those who say LCs should give 'til it hurts, I'm willing to bet it's gonna hurt.

• Upvote 1