Chapter 11 Announced - Part 6 - Plan 5.0/TCC Plan TBD

8 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

was doing the print job math when it was mentioned that the Plan was over a thousand pages.  Whew! 

Now you tell me the calculations had already been done. Coulda saved me these hand cramps and raw fingers from ciphering it out! ;) 

Edited by ThenNow
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not,

A few months ago, one of the posters here offered some great advice I thought.  Type what you intend  to say. Set it aside for a few minutes and look at it again before you press "post". Does it

Normally I wouldn't discuss user issues, but given his profile pic and signature I'm going to make an exception: Regardless of the impression given by his profile picture and signature line, Cyni

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Now you tell me the calculations had already been done. Coulda saved me these hand cramps and raw fingers from ciphering it out! ;) 

Sorry.

From now to October 15, printing 24/7, I figure 63.6 pages per SECOND to get the job done.  So, 64 presses running at 1 page per second is more likely.  And to have time to assemble, package, address, and add postage, probably 130 presses.

This is a VERY BIG JOB.

So, the solo practitioners who see 5,000, or 10,000 Plan packages show up at their door, to have to add a cover letter, repackage them, add postage and get them back in the mail...well, that is where some of the 40% fees are going.

Gotta go, the mouse committee wants me to put a bell on the cat.

43 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

I was doing the print job math when it was mentioned that the Plan was over a thousand pages.  Whew! 

165,000 reams of paper.  (I worked in a print shop decades ago.)

So 1000 pages would be 10 pounds more or less ? Cost to send a 10lb package Parcel post, zones 1 thru 9,  varies from $9.65 - $37.27, say $20 average. So just mailing (not paper, printing, packing) is $1.7M?  Wait need a signature...your guess for mailing cost?

Oh and lets do it during Christmas mailing.

Maybe the BSA could insert ad flyers in the mailing like the RMV does?

:unsure:

P.S. Back in the day, the largest printing we received in the mail was the Sears Wish Book (the Christmas catalog). I think the thickest it got was about 600 pages.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 3
7 hours ago, TheRealDK said:

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not, have helped inform me as I work to represent all Survivors.  As many of you know, the Coalition has made some statements both in the hearing yesterday and in a press release this morning.  I find them horrible and the rest of the TCC does as well.  Tonight is a TCC Town Hall and I invite you to attend so that you can hear directly how we feel about several issues.  As well, we are going to hold more frequent Town Halls so that Survivors are informed of the process as a plan goes to a vote.  The meeting is at 8PM via  https://pszjlaw.zoom.us/j/82272826295 (no registration required) and 888-788-0099 (toll free), webinar ID: 822 7282 6295.  It will be recorded and made available afterward on the TCCBSA.COM site.

Let me also say that I wish I could participate in many of these discussions.  Unfortunately my hands are often tied because of mediation confidentiality.  Trust me, when this is over and I can speak freely I will.  As well, I was asked to jump onto this forum and do a bit of an "Ask Me Anything" at some point and I will, promise.  It's an issue of timing and right now I fear that a lot of my responses would be "I can't talk about that yet" so I don't want to frustrate more people.  Please be patient while I go back into stealth mode until a later date!

Lastly, let me repeat something the TCC has said from the beginning.  The future of the BSA is NOT of any concern to the TCC.  That's the BSA's issue.  The only focus we have is in securing the LARGEST possible settlement for Survivors in a reasonable amount of time, and seeing significant changes and transparency in the BSA's youth protection practices and reporting so that the abuse of the past stops and the public knows how safe their children are now and in the future without the secrets of the past continuing.  The nine members of the TCC are all Survivors and have spent hundreds of hours and meetings solely focused on the well-being of all survivors, not on law practices, and we are fighting for all those we call our brothers and sisters first and foremost.

Thanks for the passion all of you show.  The personal toll this has taken on so many is something I think about every day, has impacted my own personal life and career, and I just hope if you read this and are a Survivor you can do one thing today and every day...Stay Strong.

Doug

Godspeed, TCC Committee.

(Not a survivor, just a life-long youth and adult adherent to the principles of Scouting, appalled at National's betrayal of those principals. National needs to make this right or close up shop.)

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SiouxRanger said:

Godspeed, TCC Committee.

(Not a survivor, just a life-long youth and adult adherent to the principles of Scouting, appalled at National's betrayal of those principals. National needs to make this right or close up shop.)

And my best friend, from high school onward, only 4 or 5 years ago told me that he had been abused by a priest, by a scoutmaster, and by Christian Brother(s), and even at that, by staff at the facility to which his parents sent him for help.

I am 70, so it was a long time ago. and yet he only told me, which he admitted was the person who best understood him, about 50 YEARS after the abuse.

He was in weekly therapy for all those years. About 50 years. His marriage failed about 8 years ago.

And he was not a weak-willed person: he earned a Phd.

How does this happen?

What is that damage worth?

7 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

The official committee appointed by the U.S. bankruptcy trustee to represent and act in the best interest of all sexual abuse survivors is recommending that abuse claimants reject the Boy Scouts’ plan.

In a draft letter filed with the court, the nine abuse survivors on the committee said the plan is “grossly unfair,” and represents only a fraction of the settling parties’ potential liabilities and what they should and can pay.

Most claimants don’t follow scouter.com or other sites following this case.  They may not read the 1000 pages.  They will look at the letters but I expect they will definitely hear these news stories.  The lack of TCC support is a huge risk and I think the BSA may underestimate the impact.  Hearing the official group that represents you to reject it he ballot is a major deal.  

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

The lack of TCC support is a huge risk and I think the BSA may underestimate the impact.  Hearing the official group that represents you to reject it he ballot is a major deal.  

It depends on what the victims are hearing in their other ear, so to speak.

Those represented by counsel, especially counsel that are part of the Coalition, are going to hear "I, as your lawyer, am recommending you approve the deal." The question is whether or not victims are going to go against the direct advice of their own personal attorneys.

That's a major TBD.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Ok, moving on from paper...

Century has been very busy tonight.  They are busy issuing subpoenas ... including to Arrow WV and Ankura Consulting Group.  Ankura served as a consultant to the FCR.

5dfb4003-657b-44ad-a477-f24fee838f65_6451.pdf (omniagentsolutions.com)

So Ankura was pretty obvious why without even having to look: how did they come up with 11,000 future abuse claimants/$5 billion?

But the Arrow WV subpoena was interesting. Some of it is the same demands they are sending to everyone (any/all documents about abuse, how BSA made the deals, etc.) but they are also trying to figure out how precisely the JP Morgan agreement was reached. Remember that at one point the TCC and others were demanding the exact documents about the loan to shelter Summit Bechtel and how it appeared to be a shell game.

I along with others pointed this out and the TCC had started a separate legal proceeding before dropping in in favor of the RSA.

It looks like Century is prepared to pick up that ball and run with it, or at least consider looking at it.

23 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

I was looking at that legal proceeding yesterday and it was stayed due to the RSA.  Now that the RSA is dead, I was just wondering if this would start up again.  At this point, I tend to doubt it unless BSA files for Chapter 7.  It seems like the TCC's primary focus now is LC, CO and insurance contributions.  Those are in the hundreds of millions to billions of dollars.  The value of HA bases are pretty limited and even if some of the loans from JP Morgan are questionable, there are still legitimate secured debt.  Net it probably won't provide much.

The Century lawyer is a bull in a china shop right now.  He will do everything he can to slow the process down.  If the Arrow discovery can open up some questions ... great news for Century.  I think he believes (and is starting to be proved correct) that the longer this takes the lower the amount the Coalition will settle for.  

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

And not letting me see. :(

image.thumb.png.7b0d7738210067fd4ec41c3f706646d3.png

Huh? I have not seen that message before. I must have been working too fast. :D  Sorry about that, it should be visible now.

Edited by RememberSchiff

This is from a press release when WI legislators last introduced the Child Victims Act (SoL reform). The same Representative (with a new last name, post-marriage) is introducing it again, with the aid of outside advocates, survivors and legal advisers. I imagine it will be similar. Thought it worthwhile to share. Sorry if this belongs elsewhere. I’ll prepare my backside to be ponged.

“Under current Wisconsin law, the right of childhood victims to bring legal action expires at the age of 35.  This extends to victims of sexual assault, incest, and other forms of child sex abuse.  The Child Victims Act would remove this time limit altogether.  Additionally, it would allow for those who were unable to bring charges under the previous statute of limitations to seek legal action up to three years after the passage of the bill.  Regarding the legislation, Senator Taylor issued the following statement:

“There should never be an expiration date on justice.  There are numerous reasons why victims find it difficult to come forward, especially in instances of childhood sex abuse, but our laws should never be one of them.  This bill will make it possible for victims of sexual abuse to seek justice, no matter how long they wait to speak out.”

“I’m proud to add my voice to the growing number of legislators across the country demanding justice for survivors.  There’s nothing partisan about this legislation, it’s simply the right thing to do.”  

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/democrats/news/2019-press-releases/senator-lena-taylor-rep-chris-taylor-and-rep-melissa-sargent-reintroduce-child-victims-act/