Chapter 11 Announced - Part 6 - Plan 5.0/TCC Plan TBD

8 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Based on Stang's two comments yesterday about how much victims could expect under the existing plan, I am trying to extrapolate.

Stang said in an open state Tier 1 abuse (he used the exact term, I am not) was $57,000 and that in the "next level state" was $34,600. Assume that means a Gray 3 state.

We know from the RSA that the old scaling factors were

• Open    1.0
  • Gray 1    .50-.70
  • Gray 2    .30-.45
  • Gray 3    .10-.25
  • Closed    .01-.10

If $57,000 represents 100% value (open state) what is 34,600? around 60%, the midpoint of Gray 1.

And $57,000 is 9.5% of the minimum base value for Tier 1 abuse.

Therefore, let's extrapolate.

Base Min

Base Max

9.5% of Base Min

Open

Gray 1 Midpoint

Gray 2 Midpoint

Gray 3 Midpoint

Closed Midpoint

100.0%

60.0%

37.5%

17.5%

5.5%

Tier 1

$600,000

$2,700,000

$57,000.00

$57,000.00

$34,200.00

$21,375.00

$9,975.00

$3,135.00

Tier 2

$300,000

$1,350,000

$28,500.00

$28,500.00

$17,100.00

$10,687.50

$4,987.50

$1,567.50

Tier 3

$150,000

$675,000

$14,250.00

$14,250.00

$8,550.00

$5,343.75

$2,493.75

$783.75

Tier 4

$150,000

$675,000

$14,250.00

$14,250.00

$8,550.00

$5,343.75

$2,493.75

$783.75

Tier 5

$75,000

$337,500

$7,125.00

$7,125.00

$4,275.00

$2,671.88

$1,246.88

$391.88

Tier 6

$3,500

$8,500

$332.50

$332.50

$199.50

$124.69

$58.19

$18.29

That could make $3500 look good.  This is a sad situation.  I feel that the hype in signing up claimants was negligent to an extreme.  The talk of equitable compensation and equal treatment regarding SoL only exacerbated it.  IF these numbers turn out to be close to accurate, I'm sure most of us would not have bothered.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is Doug Kennedy, a member of the TCC.  First, I want to thank all of you for your comments over the past 18 months.  Your comments and those in other forums, whether I disagree with them or not,

A few months ago, one of the posters here offered some great advice I thought.  Type what you intend  to say. Set it aside for a few minutes and look at it again before you press "post". Does it

Normally I wouldn't discuss user issues, but given his profile pic and signature I'm going to make an exception: Regardless of the impression given by his profile picture and signature line, Cyni

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

That could make $3500 look good.  This is a sad situation.  I feel that the hype in signing up claimants was negligent to an extreme.  The talk of equitable compensation and equal treatment regarding SoL only exacerbated it.  IF these numbers turn out to be close to accurate, I'm sure most of us would not have bothered.

And remember, all but the 5000 pro se claimants would see at least a 40% reduction to those numbers.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, swilliams said:

It’s very apparent at this point that there isn’t enough money in the pot to compensate for the renewed pain of the bankruptcy case, let alone the original abuse.

Thank you.  You hit the nail on the head.  The renewed pain is worse in some ways.  I had at least buried it in my mind somewhere.  And that is not to mention that IF my abuser is still alive, he will not be very happy with me coming forward (and I recall that he really likes guns).  This was very poorly handled and has left me wondering how supportive I should be to BSA.  Mods can move this too, if need be.  I just don't need 2 threads.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

That could make $3500 look good. 

Even if you somehow doubled it or tripled the numbers I came up with, for victims in statute of limitations states, the numbers are just not going to be THAT much better than $3500. And that's after having to go through the settlement trustee system, being subject to interviews by the trustee or his/her staff, etc.

Edited by CynicalScouter
4 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

And remember, all but the 5000 pro se claimants would see at least a 40% reduction to those numbers.

Is there a "crying" emoji?  Based on the way this is unfolding, Pro se was a wise move on my part.  I cannot imagine a law firm sending 60% of $3500 (or less) to a client with any explanation.  How would that cover letter read?

Just now, Eagle1970 said:

I cannot imagine a law firm sending 60% of $3500 (or less) to a client with any explanation.  How would that cover letter read?

The Coalition lawyers were pushing for "this is just a down payment, there's more to come from the insurance companies".

Of course, as has been pointed out, now that Hartford has set the standard (787 million / 24000 = $32791) no other insurance companies are going to accept anything other than the Hartford deal.

3 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

The Coalition lawyers were pushing for "this is just a down payment, there's more to come from the insurance companies".

Of course, as has been pointed out, now that Hartford has set the standard (787 million / 24000 = $32791) no other insurance companies are going to accept anything other than the Hartford deal.

I think the BSA and Coalition are offering false promises if they indicate any other CO will offer the same settlement as the LDS.  They keep mentioning the LDS is a framework for other COs.  I highly doubt that and believe they are not being truthful as I expect they also know other COs will not pay the same settlement rate.

5 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

They keep mentioning the LDS is a framework for other COs. 

Other COs do NOT have the situation LDS has.

1) LDS was, in effect, the SINGLE Chartering Organization for all their units. No other group is like that. As was pointed out by the attorney for the Methodists and Catholics (ad hoc committees): the CO wasn't The United Methodist Church of America. It was UMC Church of Smalltown, USA. It wasn't the Diocese of Dallas or even the Roman Catholic Church, it was St. Paul's of Smalltown, USA.

2) LDS' price point was around $100,000 (250 million / 2500) with $100 BILLION in assets. As I said before: for them $250 million is a rounding error. Asking St. Paul's of Smalltown, USA to come up with $100,000 is a LOT different.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Just now, CynicalScouter said:

Other COs do NOT have the situation LDS has.

1) LDS was, in effect, the SINGLE Chartering Organization for all their units. No other group is like that. As was pointed out by the attorney for the Methodists and Catholics (ad hoc committees): the CO wasn't The United Methodist Church of America. It was UMC Church of Smalltown, USA. It wasn't the Diocese of Dallas or even the Roman Catholic Church, it was St. Paul's of Smalltown, USA.

2) LDS' price point was around $100,000 (250 million / 2500) with $100 BILLION in assets. As I said before: for them $250 million is a rounding error. Asking St. Paul's of Smalltown, USA to come up with $100,000 is a LOT different.

100% agree ... I wouldn't be surprised if all of the other COs combined do not hit the $250M LDS offered.  BSA & Coalition are offering false promises of increases they have not delivered on.  They got the easy one (the one with the most money and biggest risk with centralized funding.   If BSA wants good relationships with COs, perhaps their counsel stops saying expect more settlements using the LDS as a framework. 

26 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

Is there a "crying" emoji?  Based on the way this is unfolding, Pro se was a wise move on my part.  I cannot imagine a law firm sending 60% of $3500 (or less) to a client with any explanation.  How would that cover letter read?

Let’s not forget tax. 

Kosnoff is claiming that with no way to get 2/3rds (now that the $3500 box remains) that the confirmation hearing will never happen.

Here is where I have a two questions:

1) EVEN IF the vote comes back 99% against, it was my understanding that confirmation hearing will still take place because that is where the BSA will attempt to get the toggle cramdown to save itself.

2) I was not listening in at the time, but was the question resolved at the front end to treat those accepting the $3500 as a separate class altogether?

Century is now submitting its own proposed solicitation package in the form of edits to the BSA's plan. Very few changes.

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/94567283-c3b5-4a90-b3fa-f3f76f68e498_6415.pdf

1) Law firms must provide a specific document showing they have to power to vote on behalf of every client. This would mean thousands of powers of attorney or similar that specifically state the claimant allows the lawyer to vote the ballot.

2) The (Century) want the power as a "party in interest" to demand those documents.

3) All attorneys will certify their actions and there are mentions of professional codes of conduct. In other words, this sets up potential attorney disciplinary proceedings if it turns out lawyers are voting ballots without the specific authorization.

Edited by CynicalScouter
7 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Kosnoff is claiming that with no way to get 2/3rds (now that the $3500 box remains) that the confirmation hearing will never happen.

Here is where I have a two questions:

1) EVEN IF the vote comes back 99% against, it was my understanding that confirmation hearing will still take place because that is where the BSA will attempt to get the toggle cramdown to save itself.

2) I was not listening in at the time, but was the question resolved at the front end to treat those accepting the $3500 as a separate class altogether?

My hope is for the cram down. 

1 minute ago, johnsch322 said:

My hope is for the cram down. 

I have to think in the end the judge is never, ever going to simply let BSA bleed out of cash and die. So yes, and I'll acknowledge it has never happened in the context of sexual abuse based bankruptcies, that in the end the judge will order BSA to pay in the $220 million (or however much it has left at that point) to a settlement trustee and be done with it.

That of course leaves the LCs completely up creeks without paddles and will immediately/within a month lead to a dozen LCs filing their own bankruptcies.

• Upvote 2