This didn't make it into the Trail's End advertising campaign

• 7 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, Wlau said:

Candy + Meat Sticks >>>>> (overpriced) popcorn. 

There ya go....  Marketing vs "A Scout is Thrifty"?   

May I observe that the reason for POPCORN is two fold.   An alternative to (shudder) GSUSA Cookies, and a guaranteed share for Council.

I dare say, very few Packs/Troops/Crews/Ships  send any share of their proceeds from car washes, mulch sales, Holiday Decor/Tree sales, meatsticks, breakfasts/dinners,  etc. etc., to Council.  

Does GSUSA  approve/suggest Scout Accounts, those pseudo commission for unit fun(d)raising ? 

Back when I was my Eagle Patrol Treasurer (Scouts paid dues to me, we used it to buy our gear and supplies for campouts),  the Troop sold donuts door to door, Christmas trees and  helped with our CO's dinners for a share.  There was on such thing as a "SCOUT ACCOUNT". It all went to the Troop to pay for awards and camp fees.... Another story.... 

• 2 months later...

Who Will Buy ?

THIN MINTS ! SAMOAS !! LEMONOES !!!

""""Who will buy this wonderful gluten?

Such a cookie you never did see

Who will wrap it up in mylar?

And put it in a box for me

So I could eat it at my leisure

Whenever things go wrong

Or try to keep it in my freezer

To last my whole life long ?

Who will buy this old Girl Scout Cookie??

It's so good, my glucose is high,

Me oh my, I guess I won't eat it,

So what am I to do

to keep this box so blue?

There must some place it can hide ? ? ?

• 2 months later...

This weekend last, a cub from my pack presented the Council's popcorn wares.

I purchased a 6 ounce bag of kettle corn for $25.00 USD.

My first CAR (Granted, a Rambler American) was $400.  (But it did get me through college-the kettle corn barely made a snack).

12 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

This weekend last, a cub from my pack presented the Council's popcorn wares.

I purchased a 6 ounce bag of kettle corn for $25.00 USD.

My first CAR (Granted, a Rambler American) was $400.  (But it did get me through college-the kettle corn barely made a snack).

I'm sure you can buy used popcorn for much less, just like your Rambler!

29 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

So that you could not claim it as a tax deduction...

Whenever you see Scouts selling popcorn, just give a donation.  100% of it goes to their unit.

Many non profits run funding with token gifts for contributing, such as tickets to something or books and so on.  My understanding is that the donation is still tax deductible.  But, not a cpa.  Grey area perhaps?  

21 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Many non profits run funding with token gifts for contributing, such as tickets to something or books and so on.  My understanding is that the donation is still tax deductible.  But, not a cpa.  Grey area perhaps?  

Only the portion of monies after you subtract the reasonable market value of the product you received.

See page 4.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

So what is the reasonable market value?  You'd have to make a comparison to a similar product.  $3.00 for a 7 ounce bag in my local grocer. (That's retail.)

So, if @SiouxRanger could itemize, you'd be looking at a $22 donation.

Unless the council deems it a "Token Item" (also page 4)  (what does a 6 oz bag of kettle corn cost the council?)

"Token items. You don't have to reduce your contribution by the value of any benefit you receive if both of the following are true.

1. You receive only a small item or other benefit of token value.

2. The qualified organization correctly determines that the value of the item or benefit you received isn't substantial and informs you that you can deduct your payment in full.

The organization determines whether the value of an item or benefit is substantial by using Revenue Procedures 90-12 and 92–49 and the inflation adjustment in Revenue Procedure 2020-45."

LOL... would love to get rid of the tax code and go Flat Tax!!

Edited by InquisitiveScouter