I rescently steped up to the position of SM of a troop (March 04) when the SM said that he had, enough. It seems there is always some one who thinks we shoulden't be doing what we are doing, and that their way would be better, or that someone else whould do a better job.

Last week I had one of my ASM's tell me he thought my plate was too full and that ASM xyz whould make a good SM. (I'm also District Camping Chariman)

---Same person former SM had issues with--- This guy even went to our DE...DE called me to give me heads up that this was happening. He doesn't like the guy, said to watch your back....

This guy and a couple of others think I should or somebody else should be SM because my son is no longer involve actively with the troop. (Girls & Fumes) I feel just because my son is not coming too meetings or camping right now does not mean I have to leave. (I'm just a good Ole Eagle) This troop is on the map now.

Our COR and CC are behind me...just a few who think things should go more their way. I don't want to step down yet, nor to I want these guys to have their way (they are not fully trained)

I know presenting these problems on the forum may seem slight but it seems to be a good way to get advise. This seems to be a common problem now, never had this years ago.

What does one do?

(Edited by Eagle Foot)

Eagle Foot:

I can't give you much advice here. I'm simply not knowledegeable enough about what's going on in your unit.

However, when I take criticism -- frequently, I'm afraid -- I:

1) Take a good hard look at what I've been doing. If I find even a grain of truth in the criticsm, I strive to make a change.

2) If I do NOT find merit in the criticism, I proceed in my own way.

Clear as mud, right?

Unc.

Eagle Foot,

I just recently told the troop committee I'm stepping down as Scoutmaster in February 05. One of my ASM's feels that we should be planning for the Scouts and not letting them plan with our guideance and advice. We have had a couple of poor SPL's and things were a little ragged. I had talked with the youth, both the SPL's and the whole troop about them planning their program and making it work, but it just stayed ragged. The ASM thought I should replace the SPL and he and I should start planning meetings and outings for the troop. We now have a strong SPL and have planned until March. I have so much on my plate (SM for Jamboree Troop, Wood Badge, etc.) I made the decision after 8 years to resign. What he does when he takes over won't be any of my business. I don't want him to think I'm looking over his shoulder. I'm not registering with the troop.

Dancin

This job would be easy if it wasn't for the people. :) But seriously, it's difficult to lead when you have someone trying to chop you off at the knees. I've seen this done, and it's very frustrating. There was recently a post about jealousy in leadership, and I believe that is often what causes these situations.

Some points to remember:

1) It's not his call. The decision of who is the Scoutmaster lies with the CC and the CO. Having them behind you is priority #1.

2) Just because your son is no longer involved does not mean you have to step down. There are some great scoutmasters out there who have no boys in the unit. In fact, I think the job is sometimes easier for scoutmasters in this situation.

I would shore up my support with the CC and COR and make sure everything is solid there. Then, I would have a sit-down with the ASM. Explain to him that you are not planning to step aside, that you love scouting and you want to continue to provide the best program you can for the boys. Explain to him that the call is not his - or yours - to make. It's up to the CO, and they want you to continue leading.

If he continues down the path of "your plate is too full", then ask him how he can help to free up something off of your plate (besides the SM role). Perhaps he'd like to help plan the next district campout. Maybe he'll take over the venturing patrol. Whatever it may be, he may find a niche where he can have more responsibility and take some load off of you at the same time. This could be a win-win, if you could work it out.

I wish you the best. Ain't this Scouting stuff fun???

Eagle Foot:

I will take a look at this one from another perspective. I was an ASM in a Troop and had a problem with the SM. In my situation many of the youth other ASMs were also unhappy with SM. The basic problem was that SM would not allow scouts to lead the troop. SM would dictate most of the program. They are too young to lead syndrome. The COR and CO were asked to make a change in SM and they decided to retain SM. I decided in this situation that I could no longer support this Troop and would be source of conflict, so I left the troop. Other youth and adults made the same decision and we started a new troop. Best move I ever made. Our new troop is doing great and I think the old troop is also doing good. Win Win.

In your situation, I would do a self assessment. Ask yourself, what are your goals? Is the program good? Is it a boy run program? Are the scouts happy and advancing? Are you the solution or the problem?

Good Luck.

EF - Talk to your Charter Organization and your COR again to let them know this individual has gone to your DE. Make sure that they are behind you 100% because they are the only ones that can request you step down as SM.

At your next committee and/or leaders meeting let everyone know that there has been "some concern" that your plate is too full right now. Let them know you are doing fine and plan to continue as SM. Make sure your CC & COR backs you up with assurances that the CO has no problem with you as SM. That should shut down the mini revolt.

You mention that none of the ASMs are fully trained. Next time the guy says that somebody else should be SM, you might consider putting the ball back into his court and say something along the lines of, "when somebody else takes the time and committment to get fully trained, we can discuss this further." My feeling is that after they are trained, they might realize that their way is NOT better, or at least they will better understand the leadership methods that you use.

The fact that your son is no longer actively involved in the troop is of no consequence. I haven't seen any rules on the leadership application or elsewhere that state that you have to have a son in the troop.

Just wanna add my Amen to the above and others, if they arent trained, how would they know? And besides, the greatest scoutmaster of all time Lemuel Siddons never even had a son in the program, he adopted a wayward youth and continued on to Scoutmaster Emeritus long after Whitey aged out.

What was it that Davy Crockett said. "First make sure you're right, then go ahead."

Yes I know that I should and could give you the line about the selection of leaders. Who selects who and the stuff that you more then lightly already know.

Sure I agree with all of it.

Still when push comes to shove, if I'm the Scoutmaster I want and need people that I can trust. People who will assist me.

If they can't, they need to go find a Scoutmaster that they can assist.

You can bet your last dollar that when rechartering comes around I will enjoy talking to the Committee chair. and the COR, and letting them know that I no longer require the services of that ASM.

"Dear John,

Many thanks for your past services....."

Eamonn.

Having no son in the group can be a big advantage. I think the only reason most leaders have sons is that they are more likely to take the time to lead.

I have seen similar situations with coaching. The best coaches were those who did not have sons in the league. They did not have issues with bias, perceived or real.

Good luck.

I would like to commend you for staying with the program after your son was done with Scouting. I wish there were more people like you out there. What the program needs is for good experienced (and Trained) Scouters to teach by example how the programs should be run and works. I my self am only 28 and have no children. I am a Eagle Scout and Past Lodge Chief and a whole lot more. Im it because I love Scouting and what it stands for. I dont know where my life would have ended up if it wasnt for the Scouts.

As for your plate too full that is only your place to say. We have a very small Council

and a lot of us wear a lot of different hats. And we seem to be doing fine.

You can bet your last dollar that when rechartering comes around I will enjoy talking to the Committee chair. and the COR, and letting them know that I no longer require the services of that ASM.

"Dear John,

Many thanks for your past services....."

Eamonn hit it right on the head.

Just my 2 cents

Aloha

Ken

I enjoy serving as SM (most of the time), but I don't have a white-knuckled death grip on the job, either. I realize fully that I serve at the pleasure of the CO & committee. If they told me today they wanted to give the job to someone else, I'd gracefully step aside. I know that all my ASMs have disagreed with something I've said or done, at one time or another -- that's just human nature. But I have two things in my favor. One, I was asked and agreed to do the job. Two, I operate according to the book, so I never have to defend myself.

I won't get involved in eye-poking contests or "urinary olympics" with other volunteers, either. This is supposed to be fun. I can't fill in all the gaps for people who won't get trained, have some ulterior motives, or are mailing it in. Instead of trying to run through them, I just run around them.

The great thing about this is that it's self-cleansing. As others have mentioned, the committee/CO can settle this at recharter time by declining to re-register a pot-stirrer. Hey, isn't recharter next month?

KS