Any other military personnel here?

We live in a military community and I have a Soldier for a DL and I want to make sure he is recognized both within Scouting and at work.  When calculating hours toward the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, how do you count camping trips?  He is volunteering the entire time, right?  If it's a Cuboree, that's 38 hours easily.  

18 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

That's what I figured.  It's funny that they say 500 hours and or 3 years, then cite a suicide hotline worker or Scout leader.  I think a Scout leader would rack up more hours quickly vs a hotline operator.

P.S. Over my 26 years in the Air Force, my commanders awarded me 3 MOVSMs...

Did you know your unit commander can authorize 10 days of Permissive TDY for a military member to support volunteer efforts like Scout Camp, so they don't have to burn leave?  And the first O6 in your chain can authorize it up to 30!

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

P.S. Over my 26 years in the Air Force, my commanders awarded me 3 MOVSMs...

Did you know your unit commander can authorize 10 days of Permissive TDY for a military member to support volunteer efforts like Scout Camp, so they don't have to burn leave?  And the first O6 in your chain can authorize it up to 30!

My camp growing up had a very good relationship with the 4th Marine Division and the National Guard. I remember Shooting Sports had Marines running the ranges, and our health lodge was staffed by either Navy corpsman or NG medics. Bet it helps having the CG on your executive board. 

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

All those rules should be in your service's leave regulations.

From the Army perspective, you have to be performing your normal duties at the camp.  That knocks out most of the people, other than medical types.  I'm a veterinarian, so I could possibly use the food safety angle.  The reality is that I'll be retired before my oldest is a Tenderfoot, so won't really matter at that point.

• Upvote 1