Linked Troops - Pros/Cons

Linked Troops

What are the Pros and Cons to consider?

We finally were able to organize and create a Troop for Girls this year.  They have met weekly since the beginning of August, maybe a bit before.  Anyway, they have had one outdoor activity and we two planned campouts on the calendar coming up.   So, they are doing really well.  Two girls already have Scout and will have Tenderfoot after the first campout for sure.  We have been invited to participate in one of the Boy Troops flag program.  Just trying to coordinate information is looking like a challenge.

What problems do we run into if we run Committee Mtgs for both Troops?  I am not advocating both groups do all their Scout stuff together, just the adults meet for what we need to at the same time.  Personally it would make my life easier.  I am running out of actual days in the week to accomplish what I need to.  Like 7 isnt enough, I might need 9.  :)

4 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

What problems do we run into if we run Committee Mtgs for both Troops?

Depends entirely how "linked" they are.

Saw this in a recent FB group supposedly from a high level mucky mucky in BSA.

Options on how to organize linked troops:
Ashley McEllhiney Steigerwald
Scouts BSA Communications Chair.
👋 I’m the Scouts BSA Communications Chair. The Scouts BSA Committee is putting together some clarifying documents and guidance for linked troops. Here are a few points I can share…
The non-negotiables for a linked unit:
You must have a separate Scoutmaster for each troop.
Each troop must have their own SPL and youth leadership structure.
For any gathering/outing/meeting where girls are present, you must have a registered adult female, YP trained and over the age of 21.
Then you have choices about what structure is going to work best for your linked troop. Here are four sample options:
1. Operate as two separate troops with separate troop committees only sharing a common charter organization and charter organization representative (COR).
2. Operate mostly as two separate units who plan, function, and Scout independently. The difference from the option above is that they share a chatering organization, COR, AND they may share a troop committee.
3. Operate as two separate units, but choose to meet on the same night/place and to sometimes go to summer camp, major outings or weekend outings together. Some units may also share ASMs (but never Scoutmasters), they may also share the troop committee.
4. Operate as two separate units who choose to utilize a shared schedule, e.g. going to camp together, taking most outings together, meeting on the same night, and doing opening and closing together. They may share ASMs and a troop committee. Essentially doing as much as they can together but with awareness of adhering to the non-negotiable guidelines.
49 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Depends entirely how "linked" they are.

Saw this in a recent FB group supposedly from a high level mucky mucky in BSA.

Options on how to organize linked troops:
Ashley McEllhiney Steigerwald
Scouts BSA Communications Chair.
👋 I’m the Scouts BSA Communications Chair. The Scouts BSA Committee is putting together some clarifying documents and guidance for linked troops. Here are a few points I can share…
The non-negotiables for a linked unit:
You must have a separate Scoutmaster for each troop.
Each troop must have their own SPL and youth leadership structure.
For any gathering/outing/meeting where girls are present, you must have a registered adult female, YP trained and over the age of 21.
Then you have choices about what structure is going to work best for your linked troop. Here are four sample options:
1. Operate as two separate troops with separate troop committees only sharing a common charter organization and charter organization representative (COR).
2. Operate mostly as two separate units who plan, function, and Scout independently. The difference from the option above is that they share a chatering organization, COR, AND they may share a troop committee.
3. Operate as two separate units, but choose to meet on the same night/place and to sometimes go to summer camp, major outings or weekend outings together. Some units may also share ASMs (but never Scoutmasters), they may also share the troop committee.
4. Operate as two separate units who choose to utilize a shared schedule, e.g. going to camp together, taking most outings together, meeting on the same night, and doing opening and closing together. They may share ASMs and a troop committee. Essentially doing as much as they can together but with awareness of adhering to the non-negotiable guidelines.

Separate SM - Check

Separate SPLs- Check

Adult Female Leadership  - Check

I just want to have the committee meeting at the same time with the appropriate leaders from each Troop to save a night in the week.  More and more I think we are going to have siblings in each group with adult leadership in both.

2 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I just want to have the committee meeting at the same time with the appropriate leaders from each Troop to save a night in the week.  More and more I think we are going to have siblings in each group with adult leadership in both.

You can do that. Nothing wrong with saving time.

4 hours ago, MattR said:

You can do that. Nothing wrong with saving time.

If it actually saves time. Keep an eye on that. If adults are adding to meeting agenda because it’s two units, it’s better to split the committee.

• Upvote 1
On 9/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Separate SM - Check

Separate SPLs- Check

Adult Female Leadership  - Check

My CO has linked troops.  We have one Committee Chair and all Committee positions are joint except for Treasurer. (it was simply too much work for 1 person with 100ish scouts and scouters)  The only thing that I think you need to watch out for is meeting bloat like qwazse mentioned.  But that is fairly easy to keep a lid on if your CC can actually RUN the meeting.  Sometimes this might mean cutting off discussion of a contentious or unrelated issue and tabling the matter, or ending a discussion that has become repetitive.