Bankruptcy, everything but the legalese

I highly recommend watching the TCC townhall from tonight once the recording is released.  They went into a lot more details on the various aspects of the plan.  Some quick, interesting points.

1) The TCC is now able to reject any new settlement.  BSA cannot add a new settlement to the plan without TCC approval.

2) The only COs currently protected before 1976 are the UMC and LDS.  

3) Most of the money that will go into the neutral ($20K trial) path will come from excess insurance companies.  These companies didn't settle and provide insurance after the primary pays out.  The belief is that by going down this special path, the excess ins. companies will either settle or have to pay out.

4) BSA must tell local councils which youth protection policy changes they rejected.  

5) IV files most likely will not be fully released.  Dr. Kennedy explained that there are a lot of non sex abuse members listed in there, also non validated claims.  No one wants to be sued.  So, it will take a lot of time and redactions.  Something will be released, but limited.

6) Individuals can sue non settled COs 1 year after plan confirmation.  That gives COs some time to reach a settlement with the trust.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're going to split the ch11.x thread in 2. The original will be kept as it was intended, for the legal aspects of the case and everything else will go here. In a nutshell, if the judge is dealing wi

@Gilwell_1919 I want to respond to this, but in the proper thread, which is this one. Let's be clear what Kosnoff has said. 1) He had stated that scouting should continue. He's repeated th

No one here, except members who are claimants, have any part of deciding anything in this bankruptcy. Let's drop the personal criticism of others who express in a scoutlike way their differing op

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

5) IV files most likely will not be fully released.  Dr. Kennedy explained that there are a lot of non sex abuse members listed in there, also non validated claims.  No one wants to be sued.  So, it will take a lot of time and redactions.  Something will be released, but limited.

The takeaway is that this settlement gives the BSA 12 months to work out an acceptable protocol for release (redaction, privacy, etc) and the Trustee has the authority to file suit to compel the court to do so.  Bottom line, a path has been laid out and the BSA with the new Youth Protection Committee can walk it and the Trustee will be waiting to see if they show up at the destination.

• Upvote 3
On 2/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, johnsch322 said:

Some of the posts that I have read here are starting to sound a lot like:

Holocaust Denial
Holocaust deniers know they won’t be believed if they just outright deny that the holocaust happened at all, so instead, they decided they would take the stance that the holocaust happened but not to the extreme degree that people claim it to be. Most scholars believe Holocaust denial started because of issues with Israel, anti-Semitism, and skepticism of the widely accepted history. Holocaust denial has been going on since the Holocaust began. It would be incredibly difficult for me to convince you that the Holocaust never happened, but it would be much easier for me to undermine the validity of what you think you know about the Holocaust.
The name “Holocaust Deniers” can actually work in favor of the people trying to discredit the Holocaust. They claim instead that they are not Holocaust deniers, just trying to have an honest debate about what happened during the Holocaust. Then they can make the claim that they aren’t extremists because they don’t deny the whole holocaust. The use vagueness as a tool against facts, the minute they get into clear specifics their argument starts to fall apart. Their argument relies heavily on the argument that Auschwitz is the perfect example of what Nazi concentration camps were like. The general public tends to forget that there were upwards of 40,000 Nazi concentration camps active during the Holocaust.

Thank you for posting this. You are precisely right.

"Come walk with me, no not that way, just turn 2 degrees this way, Hi, smile, all is good, take a dozen steps, then turn another 2 degrees…in a mile, you are headed 180 degrees-a complete reversal. Soft, slow, and imperceptible-yet, now evil never happened-actually evil was a good. You should show no alarm-all is well."

But it isn't. Evil is always evil.

"The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance."

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

3) Most of the money that will go into the neutral ($20K trial) path will come from excess insurance companies.  These companies didn't settle and provide insurance after the primary pays out.  The belief is that by going down this special path, the excess ins. companies will either settle or have to pay out.

I've got a lot to learn.  How would an excess insurance company settle / pay out after the covered party settles and/or the primary insurance company settles.  Don't those earlier settlements define the value of the damage?  Wouldn't the excess insurance only pay out the settlement amount that the insured or primary insurance can't pay?

On 2/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, johnsch322 said:

that there were upwards of 40,000 Nazi concentration camps

This is an incredible number.  Some time ago, I came cross an article about a compilation of all of the places where Jews and others were concentrated or exterminated during WW II. It was at least 40,000, and perhaps even more. I think that Yad Vashem was compiling the list.

Many of us recognize Auschwitz, Sobibor, Majdenek, Treblenka, Bergen-Belsen, Buchenwald, and Dachau, and that leaves 39,993 none of us are familiar with.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

Mods-No more Holocaust comments from me.

One last one from me. As a child my father was stationed in Germany and as a family we went to Dachau. It was one of the most moving experiences I ever had. I could feel the presence of the souls who lost their life. To this day I can recall that feeling.  

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...