Bankruptcy, everything but the legalese

7 hours ago, fred8033 said:

I thought I heard in the past that BSA had been paying for counseling for some past victims.  I remember reading it.  The poster commented that when bankruptcy started those payments stopped.

You did. From me. They have not stopped, though. I have also been hounding the program coordinators to give me a sense of whether BSA plans to continue the program post-emergence. No one will say and it is not in the Plan to my knowledge. I didn’t see it in the Cliff Notes version, anyway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're going to split the ch11.x thread in 2. The original will be kept as it was intended, for the legal aspects of the case and everything else will go here. In a nutshell, if the judge is dealing wi

@Gilwell_1919 I want to respond to this, but in the proper thread, which is this one. Let's be clear what Kosnoff has said. 1) He had stated that scouting should continue. He's repeated th

No one here, except members who are claimants, have any part of deciding anything in this bankruptcy. Let's drop the personal criticism of others who express in a scoutlike way their differing op

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

The degree of injury to some survivors leaves me nearly in tears.  

Once some form of a settlement is done will not mean that survivors won't still be suffering.

I try to think about how I can help others.  How can my voice, my pen and my words be used to help other survivors? I cannot answer myself at this point of time but hopefully an answer will come to me. 

36 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

An absolutely accurate comment, even for those of us that feel the process has to have some type of "balance", for lack of what seems to be a better word.  There is no absolute cure; again, beat to death.  There is a way to recognize past errors in judgement and societal responses, and to make efforts to stop those as often as possible, given the propensity of some to not pay attention or trust, even when the indicators are there.  I do not feel that the survivors should not be helped and given recompense.  But that cannot be limitless, and it should not be built on the backs of other innocents.  Hopefully most will find a way forward.  And, as noted more than once, final recompense to the true predators is not in any of our hands, but I believe a higher power will make that judgement.  Merry Christmas, etc. to all.

1 hour ago, Eagle1970 said:

As I’ve said elsewhere on this forum, I’m in this for my family. Well, that was motivated by the notion there would be a noteworthy award coming to me/them. Now, I feel like I’m putting them through more pain as they watch me fight this daily. My most gut wrenching, ugly crying is for my wife and kids. Honestly, I can’t think about it for more than a few seconds without crying. (John said much the same thing about his relationships and, especially, his daughter.)

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, skeptic said:

I do not feel that the survivors should not be helped and given recompense.  But that cannot be limitless, and it should not be built on the backs of other innocents. 

Now survivors want "limitless" recompense? Sounds like a different term for "greedy."

I was innocent before the abuse that happened to me. The BSA knew this was an issue, did not make the program safe for kids and continued operating successfully. That was built on the backs of me and others who were innocent.  

At the start of this, I assumed BSA would continue. But now I think, who cares? Is there something great about scouting, yes. Is there something great about the BSA organization itself, certainly not in the current iteration. The BSA isn't meaningfully changing for the better, is looking out for its own best interests (which only partially overlaps with the interests of the youth scouts) and continues to act in bad faith.

I'm not sure this will convince you otherwise, but the "balance" is not between survivors and innocent kids but between survivors and a lousy organization. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Same, especially given the vote in Purdue

Add those four paragraphs together and I see a collage of Thunderdome on the horizon. (Nod to Mel as MMax.)

Tina Turner is warming up her vocals

”out of the ruins  
out from the wreckage

can’t make the same mistake this time

we are the children

the last generation

we are the ones they left behind”

Edited by johnsch322

Ok. I need to humor myself after that hearing. I hope I don’t get another scarlet letter, but I can’t hold this any longer. Of all the awful files I’ve read, this one simply makes me laugh. Sublimity dwells amid precision and pith. I don’t make these up. Straight from an IV File. Scout’s honor...

image.jpeg.ec14844723e9d639343d25471aa33e99.jpeg