Cub Scout and Girl Scout Summer Camps

For the first time since we had kids, both my wife and I were working all summer.  So, we had to do what many other families do ... figure out child care while school is out of session.  While I have been deep in scouting and had an inkling there were some issues with Cub Scout summer camps, it became apparent this year.

My daughter is in both Cub Scouts and GSUSA.  I would have loved to have her attend the summer camps these scouting organizations offered ... but we didn't sign her up for a variety of reasons.

Our Cub Scout summer camp offered programs, but they excluded Fridays ... which means we would have to figure out child care for that 1 day.  They  pushed hard for parents to volunteer.  Most of their offerings required us to drive about 45 mins each way.

So ... what does their "competition" offer. No volunteer requests.  5 days a week of camp.  Local (15 min drive or less + any bus ride ❤️0 mins) ... and they handle all bussing.  We signed her up for 7 weeks of camps from a variety of institutions (JCC, local nature centers, zoo. local museum and the humane society).  The BSA  Cub Scout day camp was simply not competitive.  I hear the same from other families in my area.

To me, summer camps create the major bond between an organization and youth/families.  Even though it is only 1 week long, many times, I see families putting out yard signs, talking to neighbors, etc. about the camp & organization.  I'm not sure how widespread this is, but if BSA is failing to get Cub Scouts going to their summer camps, I'm concerned that we will continue to see less engagement from parents/youth and a decline in the program.

I know locally, there have been some attempts to fix some of the issues, but I really think BSA Cub Scout Day camps should:

• Last all 5 week days (no partial weeks).  I expect a slightly shorter day Fridays would be ok.
  • Be located a reasonable distance from kids and require parents to limit commute.  (Offer bussing options for a fee, but kids shouldn't have to be on a bus for hours a day.)
  • Hire staff ... don't request parents to volunteer to run the camp.  If you do, offer a discount, but don't use that as your primary staffing plan.
  • Have a great, energetic camp director who understands 1st - 5th graders and the scouting program.  Pay them.

If our council fixed these issues, I think I could absolutely sell this camp to families.  Then, kids going to the camp (perhaps for multiple weeks) would really get into scouting (along with their families).  I know Cub Scouts is more than just summer camp ... but I think we are missing a big opportunity with our current offering.

How do Cub Scout day camps operate in your area?  Do you see similar issues compared to competitive offerings?

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

y shorter day Fridays would be ok.

• Be located a reas

For the first time since we had kids, both my wife and I were working all summer.  So, we had to do what many other families do ... figure out child care while school is out of session.  While I have been deep in scouting and had an inkling there were some issues with Cub Scout summer camps, it became apparent this year.

My daughter is in both Cub Scouts and GSUSA.  I would have loved to have her attend the summer camps these scouting organizations offered ... but we didn't sign her up for a variety of reasons.

Our Cub Scout summer camp offered programs, but they excluded Fridays ... which means we would have to figure out child care for that 1 day.  They  pushed hard for parents to volunteer.  Most of their offerings required us to drive about 45 mins each way.

So ... what does their "competition" offer. No volunteer requests.  5 days a week of camp.  Local (15 min drive or less + any bus ride ❤️0 mins) ... and they handle all bussing.  We signed her up for 7 weeks of camps from a variety of institutions (JCC, local nature centers, zoo. local museum and the humane society).  The BSA  Cub Scout day camp was simply not competitive.  I hear the same from other families in my area.

To me, summer camps create the major bond between an organization and youth/families.  Even though it is only 1 week long, many times, I see families putting out yard signs, talking to neighbors, etc. about the camp & organization.  I'm not sure how widespread this is, but if BSA is failing to get Cub Scouts going to their summer camps, I'm concerned that we will continue to see less engagement from parents/youth and a decline in the program.

I know locally, there have been some attempts to fix some of the issues, but I really think BSA Cub Scout Day camps should:

• Last all 5 week days (no partial weeks).  I expect a slightl
  • onable distance from kids and require parents to limit commute.  (Offer bussing options for a fee, but kids shouldn't have to be on a bus for hours a day.)
  • Hire staff ... don't request parents to volunteer to run the camp.  If you do, offer a discount, but don't use that as your primary staffing plan.
  • Have a great, energetic camp director who understands 1st - 5th graders and the scouting program.  Pay them.

If our council fixed these issues, I think I could absolutely sell this camp to families.  Then, kids going to the camp (perhaps for multiple weeks) would really get into scouting (along with their families).  I know Cub Scouts is more than just summer camp ... but I think we are missing a big opportunity with our current offering.

How do Cub Scout day camps operate in your area?  Do you see similar issues compared to competitive offerings?

This is one of those areas where I think National could have had a positive effect. It has set standards, but to my knowledge has not helped council level camps leverage their properties for optimal usage and revenue. The successful scout camps in my area operate like any other commercial camp catering to working parents during the summer. They offer family friendly programming and services, such as full week camp, camp wrap (meaning, your kid can come early and stay late), busing, bring a non scout buddy, multi week/multi sibling discounts, etc., etc. Camps that are not doing this are going to have a harder time surviving. 

• Upvote 1