Well, I guess if there were racial disparities in access to firearms, ammunition, and shooting ranges, that would be a good start.

I think a great service project would be firearm safety seminars in underserved communities.

• Like 3

There are laws that allow people with certain disabilities in Wisconsin shoot with cross bows during normal bow season. I guess that could be covered. 

Growing up in a very liberal family, I have  enjoyed being involved with shooting sports. I feel like there is a lot there from a background standpoint. Complicated to get into with broad DEI context.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Well, I guess if there were racial disparities in access to firearms, ammunition, and shooting ranges, that would be a good start.

Just move to Chicago.  The whole city is a shooting range.  ;)

• Downvote 1

Hmmm, not sure why Shooting Sports would need any DEI requirements/discussion.  The firearms, bows, and wrist-rockets don't give a damn about the person using them. 

That said, I guess you could start with the racist history of gun control laws intended to keep firearms out of the hands of slaves, freedmen, and Indians (I think we call these folks BIPOC individuals today).  You could then continue with a discussion of how that continues today with the harshest gun laws in the nation having a disproportionate impact, up to and  including incarceration, on black populations in large cities.  Then close the discussion with the logical conclusion that all gun control laws much be abolished due to their historical systemic racism. 

https://www.theatlantavoice.com/articles/gun-control-historically-has-meant-prohibiting-blacks-from-owning-one/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the DEI draft:

9. Think how diversity, equity, inclusion, and being an upstander (ugh) relate to the Scout Oath and Law. Then do the following:
b.    For EACH of the following scenarios, tell your counselor what you can do to be an upstander (ugh) and not a bystander.

Scenario I: In the school cafeteria, a friend accidentally knocks over a bowl of food. The student next to her gets angry and yells a slur offensive to people with disabilities. Another friend at the table has a sibling with a disability, but everyone else just laughs and goes on with their meal.

Scenario I (revised):  A nineteen year old visits a friend's house, where the friend shows him a newly acquired handgun . The friend accidentally discharges the firearm which he had "made safe". The bullet enters the 19 year old's neck. Instead of calling 911, the friend drives him to the ER and  "blames the shooting on a masked intruder". The bullet severs the spinal cord; a young man is paralyzed from the neck down. Now forever wheelchair bound, the formerly outgoing young man faces isolation.

One answer of what you can do :

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/08/29/woburn-boy-scouts-build-ramp-for-former-member/

I believe they call themselves scouts.

• 2 months later...

It is my experience that there are many demographics of people who are hesitant to attend firearms training programs because they believe those programs will be led by someone who will not accept or respect them and their circumstances/motivations/needs. I know from extensive personal experience that this includes women, people of color, those who are not heterosexual or gender-normative, those who have strong liberal political opinions, sometimes those who are either end of the socioeconomic bell curve, and those with disabilities. 

It is also my experience that explicitly stating that these people are welcome and included goes a long way toward making that reality true. Then going on to listen to and accept their needs and to not dismiss them but to instead empower and engage them bridges the gap. 

For example, women's bodies often require different stances, postures, and equipment. Accepting this and learning what's available, listening to women and what's worked, connecting with those who have more experience and giving them a platform that is not a ghetto or tokenization but an equal footing, takes that intention of inclusion and makes it a reality in an individual and tangible way.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, ShootingSports said:

@GiraffeCamp

Please reach out to me to discuss further. glaacshootingsports @ gmail .com 

BSA and Shooting Sports should always be inclusive.  I have been advocating and promoting this for years.

I'm happy to do so and want to clarify that my experience is in shooting sports in general; I do not have experience with BSA being any different.