1 hour ago, David CO said:

It wasn't just that.  Teachers were complaining that these presentations and handouts were taking up too much valuable learning time.  Students are at school to learn.

Yes that is true. In public schools (in my state) once teacher performance became linked to test scores a lot of things were cut out.  I was on the board of a PTA, an educational foundation, and a board of ed liaison and saw school assemblies, enrichment programs, kid birthday parties or cupcakes, and most class parties all cut out. The kids were lucky to get an hour for pizza and a movie before winter break. 

One of the other issues (in my area) is parents being overwhelmed with emails or long emails. For example, the PTA stopped including scouts, sports, etc. announcements in their weekly eblast for that reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By the end of the week we will be at 80 Scouts.  2 years ago going into School Night for Scouting we had 12 Scouts.     Its been an interesting ride thus far. 

Just finished our join night and ended up with 19 new scouts! Not too shabby when you consider that our roster last year was 18 strong.  Surprisingly, it was a lot of older cubs. Our Bear den doubled,

Is this a joke?  Recruitment boundaries?  

51 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

As I said above.  Our DE went to each classroom and talked about 5 minutes.  This is what he does in all the schools in our District.  

As I said above, this shouldn't be allowed.  It's not just the 5 minutes the DE wasted.  It is also the 10 minutes it takes to get the students back on track.  

Edited by David CO
  • Downvote 1
55 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

As I said above.  Our DE went to each classroom and talked about 5 minutes.  This is what he does in all the schools in our District.  Then the kids get a flyer to take home.  Then we have SNFS in the school cafeteria on a different night.

At least three states have state laws that require that scouts be allowed to address students during school hours at least once per year.

7 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I think they are close to violating this; however, they have pretty much banned all outside groups which probably makes them safe from lawsuits.

That...would actually be legal. All that law requires is that scouts have EQUAL access vs. any other outside group. Of course if NO ONE is allowed in, that's equal access.

We have a school district in my council that has that as a policy. It was put in place not for scouts but for other groups that some of our more conservative parents object to. It was and is far easier from administrative and legal perspective to say NO ONE or ANY ONE. If you start to get into "Yes your group, no to your group" you get into lawsuit territory.

• Upvote 1

"All Scouting Is Local"

"It Depends"

Here abouts in Murlin,   each county decides .  No way to know until you  ask.   In my county, no in person, in class  presentations .  Flyers for the take home backpack are accepted on a very strict schedule, you have to have them in the school by a certain date, in packets of 25 (or 30?)  for each class. In hall posters are at the discretion of the Principal. Flyers on the "take one" table also at the principal's discretion. All is a "all or not at all"  arrangement, all sports leagues, kid's clubs, etc. or none at all allowed.