Chapter 11 Announced - Part 5 - RSA Ruling

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also was abused at home. Best thing my father ever did was leave. Scouting was my safe place, and all of the adults were positive role models who i can never thank enough. They showed me positive wa

Sir, I find your comments juvenile, vile and disgusting. You certainly disgrace the few decent people I have personally spoke with who are still trying to defend the organization as being still worth-

@David CO Sometimes, things end up being what you weren't trying to do. You may not think that your troop was a safe place, that you didn't adopt any of the scouts, and that it wasn't a big brother pr

Posted Images

1 hour ago, David CO said:

I assume this is a joke.

It isn't. I know, for a fact, that several Councils have said their contributions to the settlement trust are contingent on reaching an agreement with COs.

A fact alluded to in a brief filed by the Ad Hoc Committee of Local Councils (emphasis added)

Chartered organizations are critical partners of the Scouting movement, and to  Local Councils in particular. Indeed, they are so critical that the Local Council financial  commitments (which, as noted, will be disclosed in due course) expressly contemplate  appropriate protections for chartered organizations.

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/327b25bb-1d4e-4db6-a901-0b542f32f572_5756.pdf

These Local Council contingency provisions were mentioned in a prior hearing (I think RSA) AND several of the letters issued by councils have said any contributions they make the settlement are contingent on a deal being reached with the COs.

So no, it isn't a joke. Several LCs are actively pushing BSA National behind the scenes on this issue.

Edited by CynicalScouter
1 hour ago, IWasAbusedinScouting said:

for reasons some of you dispassionate creeps will never understand.

I want to be clear:

1) I am utterly sorry that you and those like you suffered. I truly am.

2) As for myself, if I come off/came off as dispassionate I apologize. Part of the reason why bankruptcy is such a horrible place to deal with these issues is that bankruptcy, and has been said so many ways and even by Stang/the TCC attorneys, is that bankruptcy only cares about two things: How much and when. Pain. Suffering. Emotional distress. None of that really factors into bankruptcy proceedings. This entire process has been 99% focused on the law and legal squabbling. I would said 100% but I do think the people like the TCC members and in particular Dr. Kennedy have tried to address the court to focus/refocus on the victims. And I know the judge has mentioned them before.

I will offer this, something a judge said in a hearing years ago that stuck with me to a person who lost their loved one to violence. "I am sorry that you won't get catharsis here." What he meant was the courts are lousy places to find closure or emotional release or satisfaction or peace. Does it happen? Sure, I've seen it, but that's the exception. As a (different) judge told me: no one outside of adoption proceedings wants to be in a courtroom.

The law's not intended to fix anything. It's meant to offer the next best thing that governmental authority has to offer: money on the civil side and incarceration on the criminal. It doesn't fix the problem it either patches it up (money) or removes the problem from society for awhile (incarceration). But that's all it does.

Again, I am truly sorry for what happened to you and all the victims in this.

5 hours ago, Muttsy said:

Everyone seems to forget that it was BSA that solicited survivors to come forward from EVERY state regardless of the SOL rules of that state.  Why

If you’re reading my posts - I flatter myself you are - I have forgotten. I’ve have been pounding on this very issue. It doesn’t seem to have a lot of impact. They chose the language and printed the “come one, come all” gilded invitation.

3 hours ago, IWasAbusedinScouting said:

Unless its happened to you, you cannot ever understand it.

Thank you for your post, your passion and the pushback. Much appreciated. I do hope you have heard other voices here, survivors and Scouters, who have champion the cause of victims. I and several others of our cohort are here. We will continue to speak our minds and our hearts, whatever the reaction or backlash. Thank you, again.

Edited by ThenNow
27 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

If you’re reading my posts - I flatter myself you are - I have forgotten. I’ve have been pounding on this very issue. It doesn’t seem to have a lot of impact. They chose the language and printed the “come one, come all” gilded invitation.

Wasn't it a direction of an early court session?  Seems to me that was very early, and was part of the court direction that they solicit for victims in some manner.  I could be mistaken, as that was now years ago.

34 minutes ago, skeptic said:

Seems to me that was very early, and was part of the court direction that they solicit for victims in some manner.  I could be mistaken, as that was now years ago.

Yes. You’re right. I am admittedly an outlier. I was not a survivor who was geared/teed/lawyered up in state court and I didn’t see a single ad or solicitation. No telemarketers. No contact via NESA. Nada. All I saw was Mosby’s announcement via the WSJ and I dove in. Off to Delaware I went. I know the net was cast wide and other parties (TCC, etc.) had a role in that, I believe. I was initially hopeful they really meant “all abuse survivors” would receive “equitable compensation.” I am starting to feel I was very naive. I still think Muttsy’s point is still well taken. You feed those you invite to the table with what you promised or it’s a vicious bait and switch. I’m not talking the legal side, so no one send your legal goons to mug me, please. 

Coming attraction for Monday should be a new face and voice taking on the insurers; Kirk Pasich the TCC's insurance coverage professional:  https://pasichllp.com/attorney/kirk-pasich/   Insurers hate him.  Google his name and check the news.  Hopefully he'll get a word in edge-wise.  This judge likes letting people go one and on and on and.....

5 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

Coming attraction for Monday should be a new face and voice taking on the insurers; Kirk Pasich the TCC's insurance coverage professional:  https://pasichllp.com/attorney/kirk-pasich/ Insurers hate him.  Google his name and check the news.  Hopefully he'll get a word in edge-wise.  This judge likes letting people go one and on and on and.....

When the TCC hired him as their expert they asked the court’s permission and listed Pasich’s qualifications (his law firm is “The Firm” described below)

“The Firm’s attorneys have handled numerous matters concerning insurance coverage for underlying lawsuits and claims alleging sexual abuse and misconduct. For instance, the Firm’s attorneys previously represented the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, helping the Archdiocese recover more than $500 million from insurers to fund settlements of clergy abuse claims. The Firm’s attorneys also represented or represent several other religious and non-profit organizations, including the California Pacific Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Muscoy United Methodist Church, Trinity United Methodist Church, and the USA Northeast Province of the Society of Jesus, in obtaining insurance coverage for historical sexual abuse and misconduct claims. The Firm’s attorneys also have extensive experience representing corporations and individuals in the pursuit of insurance coverage for assault, battery, invasion of privacy, false imprisonment, and a wide range of other claims alleging bodily injury and emotional distress.”

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/821821_729.pdf

5 hours ago, IWasAbusedinScouting said:

who are still trying to defend the organization as being still worth-while

I still believe, whole heartedly, that scouting is still a worth-while activity for boys.  I haven't wavered in that.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend scouting to any boy.

My family has been very fortunate in that dual citizenship has given us a choice of scouting programs.  I wish it were within my power to make a similar choice available to all boys in the United States, but that is sadly not possible.

I do question the value of scouting to the Chartered Organization.  BSA has made its scouting program increasingly inconsistent with the goals and aims of our youth outreach.  Even as the program's value has decreased, the cost and liabilities have dramatically risen.  

When Lone Scouts of America was bought out, alumni organizations were formed for us to continue our fellowship outside of LSA.  I hope something similar will happen for the many former members of BSA. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, IWasAbusedinScouting said:

Sir, I find your comments juvenile, vile and disgusting. You certainly disgrace the few decent people I have personally spoke with who are still trying to defend the organization as being still worth-while, in light of all that has happened in regard to rampant sexual abuse by Scouting leaders for decades.  Tim has been on my side for almost ten years, as I waited for some modicum of justice, after being sexually abused by three of my adult Scouting leaders but finding myself outside of "the law" (limitations stats) and it's inability to hold my abusers accountable for their crimes.  I went to the Boy Scouts back then, not now. Back then being 2013. And what did they do? After waiting on the phone for almost 20 minutes, they transferred me over to one of their attorneys. Because THAT is what they cared about the most, the legal ramifications of their actions, not the moral ones.  I see people in this thread bemoaning AIS and the sheer number of claims. I will have you know that many more boys in my own troop were being sexually abused and yet they never came forward and will never come forward, for reasons some of you dispassionate creeps will never understand. The shame of it all. I have even recently spoken with two of them. People I hadn't talked with in years. And they were willing to talk with me but they will never come forward for reasons many of you will never understand. The unwillingness to involve themselves in something they have deeply buried their whole lives. My life was ruined. My self-esteem shot. Can you imagine? Unless its happened to you, you cannot ever understand it. And the lack of empathy and understanding I have seen right here in this forum, belittles the notion that Scouting is a decent organization, instilling moral fiber in our youth.

First I want you to know that as a survivor I feel your pain.  If you look at my posts you will know most of what I have personally gone thru in my journey.  Most of us will welcome your comments and hope that you find some peace by being able to post your feelings and your thoughts, I know that this forum has done that for me.  We are an eclectic group of individuals who post here with many varied views not all of whom I personally agree with.  I am also quick to voice my opinion when I don't agree so feel free to give your alternate opinion when you have the urge.  

• Like 1