Emergency Preparedness Award Question

I was reading up on the merit badges I want to council and came across this. I've found some conflicting information and was looking for clarification. 

https://www.scouting.org/awards/awards-central/emergency-preparedness/

Says:

"This award has encouraged youth to be prepared, productive, self-reliant adults active in their communities.  As of February 2019, elements of the award have been incorporated into other program materials and we will sunset the award.   Your can continue to earn the award, but the requirements will not be updated. "

http://usscouts.org/advance/EmergPrep.asp

Says:

"This award was discontinued on December 31, 2020.
Those who are in the process of earning the award have until December 31, 2021 to complete the requirements and earn the award."

I'm still waiting on a email back from my council. The last thing I want to do is give a Scout or Leader bad info. 

Thanks in advanced. 

I appreciate the info. 

12 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Just to be clear there’s the emergency preparedness merit badge and emergency preparedness award.

The award is in fact discontinued.

usscouts.org is NOT an official source for info 

• Upvote 1

As of this morning, I'm still able to mark the Emergency Preparedness Award as complete in Scoutbook despite the notification that the award was discontinued 12/31/2021.  I wonder if some of the older Scouts have completed the Merit Badge requirements, and may technically still qualify for the award in the same way a Scout can still earn a discontinued Merit Badge if they had started work (partials) before the official discontinuation.

• Upvote 1
On 8/12/2021 at 8:18 AM, docSquatch said:

was reading up on the merit badges I want to council and came across this. I've found some conflicting information and was looking for clarification. 

https://www.scouting.org/awards/awards-central/emergency-preparedness/

Says:

"This award has encouraged youth to be prepared, productive, self-reliant adults active in their communities.  As of February 2019, elements of the award have been incorporated into other program materials and we will sunset the award.   Your can continue to earn the award, but the requirements will not be updated. "

I recall seeing this information a while back.  At that time, part of the notice stated that while a Scout (or adult) could still earn the award the pin and certificates were limited in supply, and once your local Scout Shop sold out of them they would not be able to restock them.