New to Merit Badge Counselor

3 hours ago, NDW5332 said:

In some instances there will be four people: you may need to include the Scout's parent, cc'd on e-mails for YPT purposes, if the Scout needs to reach out to you to set up the initial meeting, or for completion of partials afterwards.

I have been copying the Unit leader to prevent "one-on-one" communication.  A parent is now required?

12 minutes ago, docSquatch said:

Has anyone used remote apps for meetings during COVID; Google Classroom, Zoom, Teams, etc.? How did the Scouts/you like it?

In an effort to keep scouts involved and give them some outlet during the first 12 months of COVID (when we were locked down), we used Zoom and Google Classroom.  It is OK, but since the scouts were on it all day for school, they were less than excited.  I made them keep their cameras on, for sure.  ask questions, don't just talk, use programs like moodle (I think that was the name) to make it fun.  I would make quizzes  on the knowledge they needed to show, and they would compete to see who got the answer first or right the most often.  But, it does not replace in person discussions at all.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Navybone said:

But, it does not replace in person discussions at all.

Completely agree. I love teaching, especially EMS topics. We had to switch to online during COVID and I missed physically interacting with my students. Critical thinking games, EMS Jeopardy, leadership tasks, and so on. 

10 hours ago, docSquatch said:

Has anyone used remote apps for meetings during COVID; Google Classroom, Zoom, Teams, etc.? How did the Scouts/you like it?

I was signed up to lead  Bugling MB at a weekend  MBUniversity last Feb and March (two weekends !) I had done these in person for some years in the past.....  They had Google class set up but for some reason it wouldn't work on my machine, so my Meeting's techy  set me up with Zoom.  I started out with 20.  Scouts, Email, YP extra "copies" to willing Scouters I knew. Sent out pre requisites....  I divided the group into three sub groups, over three seperate nights.  I never heard from two of the first registrants.  The MBU was organized by a MD-Del Council. I had Scouts from MD and Del and ONE (!) from San Diego.  Over ZOOM, I was able to talk to and demonstrate and listen to everybody fairly easily.  We got together four more times, not just the two originally scheduled.  That's alot of Zoom nights. .  Scouts dropped out as it became clear (as usual) that some were expecting an easy sit thru the "class" and get the blue card , one was there because their first choice was full, and some really didn't think they could do it....  

I garnered alot of smiles and conversation about Scouting and music.  I saw improvement over time.  I was able to "sign"   8 ebluecards   by the end.  I made sure everyone knew their "result".  I later heard back from one "partial".   Three months later, in June, I had an email from a ASM about a Scout's blue card? Could you send a new copy?  I had to email him back saying this Scout had not passed the requirements "he didn't play the calls", but he had all my contact info and never called me back to finish.  Never heard more from him.

The San Diego Scout was very good (maybe not the next Wynton Marsalis, but good!).  I was glad to send him his eBluecard. 

• Upvote 1
On 8/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, TAHAWK said:

I have been copying the Unit leader to prevent "one-on-one" communication.  A parent is now required?

I realize now I should have been more clear.  Your Charter Org may require parents be included in any communication between the Scout and any adult.  Likewise, some parents may insist on being included in any communication involving their Scout.  In both of those instances we have to honor those requests.  I've seen it from both sides as Advancement Chair for our Troop, and as a MB Counselor for our Troop and Council.  

On 8/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, TAHAWK said:

I may be corrected, but I think the answer is "no", parents aren't required on all communications. Just a 3rd person. Of course the unit may have additional policies. 

Barry