Provisional Programs at Summer Camps and YPG

In what setting are you talking about? I know when I was a provisional SM one year at summer camp,  there really was no patrol method.

At the training I went through and staffed, monitoring by staffed was done. But you still have a lot of "Storming, Forming, Norming, Performing." One thing That may have helped prevent the 'Lord of the Flies," but was extremely detrimental to patrol performance, was the patrols were aged based. In both situations, the younger Scout patrol at training, ages 13-14 and First Class+, were the ones with the most challenges and had the most problems.

• Upvote 1

This mostly from Jambo patrols, Venturers, and the occasional provisional scouts who have camped with our troop ...

1. Training, training, training. If a scout is not working in a patrol at home, he/she will be overwhelmed in a patrol of strangers. As an SM/Advisor, you will have to coach that scout along. Read the pertinent pages in the Handbook (which the scout may have never read), and encourage the scout to get up to speed. Obviously, if you have more than one inexperienced provisional scout you will have to make this a more public discussion. Be upbeat, recognize the challenges facing them, and establish high expectations.

2. Courtesy. Kindness. Helpfulness. If a scout hasn't mastered this in with the patrols in his/her troop, it will show up in the patrol. Ask a scout like this to help you with a task. It might involve a chore, meeting with other scouts/scouters, or a brief conservation project. I had one scout tell me nobody in his troop ever asked him to do anything because he had established a pattern of not doing anything when asked. I made it clear that I tend not to ask favors of the scouts who are already finding chores for themselves and working. I did see a change in outlook that trickle down to his patrol later in the week.

3. Reverence. Scouts must go through this world as if it's a gift for them to tend.

Evolve them beyond a brand new provisional patrol. 

Do activities to get them to know each other and to connect.  Games.  Activities.  Work.  Discussions.  Anything.  The more the better.  Get them socializing together.   Get them comfortable interacting together.

• Upvote 1