Troop Committee - Who decides who is Treasurer, Secretary, etc.

Hi guys, I'm glad to have read these posts. They are very informative. But I would like to pose this question: Is it always the rule that every position be rotated in a troop committee after a year. I am questioning because I was asked to leave the position of the committee chair by the COR after only 7 months. She had a bad day and took it out on me. She claimed that she was going to end my service by the year anyway....If the troop is small and not a lot of new parents stepping up for service, there isn't a lot of choices of who should be the adult leaders. Can't the term be extended to say 2 years? We stopped being friends after that, and she had a hard time getting another committee chair.

Sylvia

There is no rule that positions must be rotated. The rule is that all positions are selected each year at re-charter time. The same individual may or may not be selected for another year. By the way, that would include the chartered organization rep too.

The Charter Representative is selected by the Head of the Charter Organization ans serves at their will. The Charter Representative and the Head of the organization determine the CC, at their will. While the Cgarter representative can remove you from office they cannot remove your adult membership until the end of the charter year unless they persuade the Council Scout Executive to do so.

Hi BW, I don't really think that she knew what she was doing, firing me and all. But I know that the Council could not remove me right away from the charter right away. Since they "fired" me in September, and the Charter expires in December, I was not really on their that long. At any rate, it was the emotional impact that got to me. I was trained at the District's Committee Challenge and we uncovered a lot of little problems. I really don't think I did anything wrong but I have healed enough to stay with scouting thru all this.

Back to the thread, I had the opportunity to fill up the committee and really I had a dialogue with each about what they wanted to do. We continued with our treasurer (4 years), we had a new secretary and parents helping with fundraising efforts. After I left, some stayed and some left.

YIS, Sylvia

• 1 year later...

What if it is the Troop Committee Chairperson that the Committee wishes to replace?

Is there any action the Troop Committee can take if they feel the Chairperson is not meeting requirements, making decisions without committee involvement, etc.?

Probably should have spun off a new thread... but anyway.

It would fall on the Charter Organization to replace the Committee Chair. I would first try to handle it as a committee. First, have one person talk individually with them. If that doesn't fix it, bring it up in a committee meeting to discuss. If that still doesn't work, I'd go to the COR to discuss options.