Methodist Church telling Churches to Not "Recharter" Scout Units

Just received another update from local UMC state council with an even more strongly worded recommendation not to recharter. Any agreements, including facilities usage, should only lbe effective through Dec. 31. That last clarification seems to be new. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a UMC is switching to a Facilities Use Agreement only relationship, then the unit will need a new Chartering Organization, such as a VFW or your Local Council.

I have been hearing of councils that don't want to serve as the chartering org as well. That's something for BSA to resolve though in its reorg plan I would think. 

Ours has already informed us that we will move to the facilities model.  Other than that, they assure us that they still consider us part of their ministry, just under a different format.  Since we ha

Posted Images

The Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church is advising local churches to stop sponsoring Boy Scouts of America units until the organization emerges from bankruptcy.

BSA made past assurances that the organization had insurance to cover chartered organizations — the civic and religious groups that host and sponsor BSA units — according to a letter sent Wednesday by Iowa Area Bishop Laurie Haller.

But her letter said BSA did not have "enough or sufficient" coverage to protect chartered organizations. The letter also said that local churches may have to pay legal fees to defend themselves in lawsuits.

"They are leaving their chartered organizations out on a limb by themselves," Haller wrote in the letter. "The local churches are at risk of having to pay significant sums to victims to compensate them for the damages they suffered at the hands of some scout leaders ... All of this is because the BSA did not fulfill their promise to have enough insurance to protect the local churches."

more at source link:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2021/08/25/boy-scouts-america-bsa-bankruptcy-lawsuit-iowa-churches-advised-cut-ties/5588867001/

• Upvote 1

Latest statements from Baltimore-Washington: https://www.bwcumc.org/news-and-views/bsa-bankruptcy-affects-united-methodist-congregations/

Quoting the Bishop

"The Baltimore-Washington Conference is working closely with the denominational leadership team to appropriately address this situation. I strongly advise congregations to heed the advice of the denomination with respect to existing BSA charter agreements. Please do one of the following:

1. Agree to extend an expiring charter through December 31, rather than renew that charter;

2. Place an expiring charter with a facilities use agreement that expires on December 31; or

3. Terminate an existing charter and replace it with a facilities use agreement that expires on December 31. All of those options allow more time to see how the bankruptcy will impact United Methodist congregations.

https://www.gcumm.org/news/united-methodists-urge-churches-to-delay-renewing-charters-with-boy-scout-units?fbclid=IwAR1AidxHDq3Uv-kxUEJ0T_52av-6hTNVyZHO89dyM3gmytntdAHVPvmLAlY

NASHVILLE, Tenn.––Steven Scheid, director of the Office of Scouting Ministry of the General Commission on United Methodist Men, told an August 26 meeting of the Scouting Committee of the Commission, that bishops and conference chancellors are advising local churches not to renew their charters with BSA units beyond December 31, 2021. This delay gives denominational leaders time to work out an agreement with Boy Scouts of America (BSA) regarding settlements of charges of sexual misconduct.

Edited by 5thGenTexan

I'll just say, people are not machines.

It is very difficult to tell masses of folks to do one thing, and then, when conditions change, flip the switch and expect a complete reversal of the momentum.  There is likely to be loss of CO's, scouts, parents, and leaders after any reversal.  People will have moved on or be  fatigued by the whole mess.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting more and more reports of

1) Methodist churches terminating charters NOW. Not waiting for December.

2) Virginia United Methodist bishop asking churches to get out now, ASAP.

As Virginia United Methodist congregations are now exposed to potential lawsuits without access to the insurance coverage the BSA had promised, I ask that churches do the following:

Whether or not the charter is coming up for renewal, advise the Local Boy Scouts Council that the local church wishes to immediately terminate the charter at least until the conclusion of the bankruptcy, or that the charter must be converted to a Facilities Use Agreement which will only extend through December 31, 2021.

BSALettertoConfSep82021.pdf

Edited by CynicalScouter
1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

Ours just told us they will no longer charter units after this year.....  The search begins

I don't think I would recommend that any CO adopt an existing unit.  Who knows what baggage comes with it?  If it is discovered that a scout in that unit was molested 40 years ago, it is possible that the new CO will have its name and reputation dragged through the mud as well.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, David CO said:

I don't think I would recommend that any CO adopt an existing unit.  Who knows what baggage comes with it?  If it is discovered that a scout in that unit was molested 40 years ago, it is possible that the new CO will have its name and reputation dragged through the mud as well.  

Thankfully we already have two churches and a non profit that are interested in chartering us.  And I believe the new CO is protected.

Ours has already informed us that we will move to the facilities model.  Other than that, they assure us that they still consider us part of their ministry, just under a different format.  Since we have out centennial in December, and just got a girl troop started, that is a positive note.  We had an  event last Sunday in which we helped and had a small presence, and all the elder congregation were thrilled to see us, as they usually are.  It will really not make a huge difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Thankfully we already have two churches and a non profit that are interested in chartering us.  And I believe the new CO is protected.

I thought yours was a Sea Scout unit. Is a USCG Auxiliary unit a possibility as a CO?

Edited by RememberSchiff
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

I thought yours was a Sea Scout unit. Is a USCG Auxiliary unit a possibility as a CO?

Yes, they are another possible CO.  IMHO, it is best to be chartered with the same CO as a Troop which helps with recruitment.  Another option that I might try it to get the yacht club to charter us.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

For the units switching to facility use agreements, who signs off as COR on adult applications?

If a UMC is switching to a Facilities Use Agreement only relationship, then the unit will need a new Chartering Organization, such as a VFW or your Local Council.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2