Methodist Church telling Churches to Not "Recharter" Scout Units

As far as the "Scout" name, does any of it really matter? I know BSA, and maybe even GSUSA, would like to trademark "Scout" but that is like trying to trademark "Runner" or "Tracker" or "Hunter".  It's just something people do. You've got Army Scouts, Sports Scouts, etc. that are actual jobs that also use the Scout name. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a UMC is switching to a Facilities Use Agreement only relationship, then the unit will need a new Chartering Organization, such as a VFW or your Local Council.

I have been hearing of councils that don't want to serve as the chartering org as well. That's something for BSA to resolve though in its reorg plan I would think. 

Ours has already informed us that we will move to the facilities model.  Other than that, they assure us that they still consider us part of their ministry, just under a different format.  Since we ha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

No, for the first year or 2, Low called them Girl Guides and then CHANGED to GSUSA. We have the official GSUSA sanctioned history. 

So she did change the name from Guides to Scouts? Just confirms that she was piggybacking on Boy Scouts with the name change.

I had a chance to find a Library of Congress article on it that I read as well.

A patent for girls’ empowerment | USPTO

"Early in 1912, Baden-Powell and Low crossed the Atlantic—Baden-Powell to integrate British and American scouting under one transatlantic organization, Low to start the first Girl Guides group in the United States. At Low’s instigation, the first U.S. Girl Guides induction ceremony took place in Savannah almost immediately.  ... So trusting was Baden-Powell of her judgment that he even allowed Low to re-designate her “Guides” as “Scouts” in 1913. To reinforce the connection with Baden-Powell’s Boy Scouts, Low had the Girl Scouts’ uniforms switched from blue to khaki."

• 4 weeks later...

Got email from Council today regarding the Methodist Church and recharter....

Unit Leaders and Committee Chairs

If you are not the current unit leader or committee chair, please forward this to the correct person.

I want to share an update on the negotiations with the United Methodist Church. My intention was to share this information with you as soon as we started hearing about it. However, as with everything related to the bankruptcy, information can change within minutes.

During the last few weeks, we have been hearing that additional and/or new information is coming. We are still awaiting that additional/new information. As recharter season opened, I shared the information that was applicable to all chartered organizations.

At this time, I want to share what I can that specifically addresses our United Methodist Church units. This information is for you to discuss with those leaders who are directly involved. At this time, the Church has asked that BSA representatives refrain from communications with Church representatives except in the normal course of unit operations.

Negotiations between BSA and the United Methodist Church at the National level have been positive. The Church is in the process of communicating a message to its Bishops and Conferences that addresses our current and future relationship. Here are a few key points that we know:

• The Church appointed an ad hoc committee responsible for managing these matters and has asked that BSA representatives refrain from communications with Church representatives except in the normal course of unit operations.
  • The Annual Charter Agreement with the UMC has been extended with the UMC through March 31, 2022 in order to allow the Boy Scouts of America and the United Methodist Leadership time to continue to work together to resolve matters related to the BSA’s financial restructuring. BSA remains optimistic that the UMC and Scouting will continue their strong partnership to benefit our youth.
  • Units will continue to renew registrations for both adults and youth and add additional enrollments as they join Scouting. The unit will fill out and submit the normal recharter information online and will not be required to pay the annual Unit Liability Fee (organizational recharter fee) of $75. (This is a temporary accommodation for the United Methodist Church only).
  • A new agreement will be put in place after the March 31, 2022 extension expires and the annual Unit Liability Fee will be payable at that time.

If you have a United Methodist Church indicate that it is not familiar with or will not agree to the charter extension, please do not attempt to engage the local Church. Report this information to your district executive.

I know that there is a lot of uncertainty at a critical time in our Scouting year. I want to thank you for your extra effort in getting your unit rechartered.

3 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Got email from Council today regarding the Methodist Church and recharter....

Am I reading this right: you don't formally recharter, but you do renew the membership for scouts and adults?  Paying the renewal fee but not the council specific fee?

32 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Am I reading this right: you don't formally recharter, but you do renew the membership for scouts and adults?  Paying the renewal fee but not the council specific fee?

Scouts and Leaders pay their fee, but the Unit doesnt pay its fee...  yet

• Upvote 1