More than one summer camp in one summer?

I was talking to another adult leader at camp who asked me, "is this your only camp this summer?"

And I was like, "what? you go to more than one camp?"

And they said, "yes, earlier this summer some of our scouts went to Tesomas and now we are here."  He mentioned that they sometimes struggle to get enough adults for the camp that's farther away.

This sort of blew my mind.  Two summer camps?  I discussed this with my husband, but he quickly said that he does not have enough time to do two summer camps.  

I also wonder, if anyone here knows, how hard is it to get into Tesomas?  I have heard multi-year wait but I am not sure.

I also wonder, how hard is it to get into the high adventure camps, Philmont, Northern Tier, Sea Base and Summit.

Our adult leaders had an interesting conversation while the kids were out at merit badges about portaging canoes and that it's not necessarily easy.  We were told a story of college age guys who went canoeing but did not bring enough food and were miserable on their trip. My husband and I are feeling old as age 50+ leaders.  I know that sounds weak but there are some things that younger people are better at.  Neither one of us are in good enough shape at this point to do a physically strenuous trip, and that's a sad state.  I just make the weight for high adventure but my kees are getting stiff.  He is currently above BMI. 

Just making conversation.  Thanks!

Does a Troop often have more than one summer camp? Obviously it depends on the Troop and factors like the age range of the Scouts, how many adults participate, how big/active the Troop is and so on.

Often, if a Troop has a second camp, it is geared more to older youth, be that a trip to a High Adventure base or just somewhere further away or with more unique activities.

We typically have one summer camp per year, but then either a Sierra Trek (self organized backpack trip in the Sierra Nevada) or a Philmont trip (alternating years). This year our summer camp was at Emerald Bay off the coast of Los Angeles. That camp has a great older youth program that is not about getting merit badges. A few of our Scouts spent the week getting their PADI Open Water certification in SCUBA as their weeks activity. This year we also have 2 crews going to Philmont. We used to run 2 summer camps many years ago when the troop was bigger, in addition to a High Adventure trip, but that was still geared to having a more adventurous camp for the older youth who were kind of over getting merit badges and wanted something more fun.

Wrt getting into Philmont. There is an application lottery every year, in November, to go 20 ish months out. ie if you applied this fall you would be going in the summer of 2023. They do have last minute opportunities too. I think the success rate for applications is really high, we have never failed to get a trip when we have applied. They also provide all the food so you don't have to worry about providing it (caveat - unless you have dietary restrictions). That is the easy part though, Philmont is a long backpacking trip, we are a 12 day trip which is 10 days on the trail. Going to Philmont involves a decent amount of planning and training beforehand, depending on you and your crews familiarity with backpacking. You also get to lottery for your itinerary, they have a selection from easier (but not easy) to very challenging. The harder your trip the more physically fit you would want everyone to be. Hence the 20 odd months from first application until you go. It is an excellent experience, and if your Troop wants to go they are very likely to get a slot. But you can't just turn up and do it cold. One final comment - if you want to do it but are intimidated, most councils will offer some kind of help in preparation. Contact your councils High Adventure program if they have one.

I can't speak about how easy it is to go to the other 3 National High adventure bases, aka Sea Base, Northern Tier and Summit. They all have more varied programs and I think lower attendance but I think again, if your Troop wants to go, they likely can.

There are also many other camps or bases around the country that offer High Adventure programs. For example MOHAB is Montana High Adventure base, I think they do backpacking. Salmon River High Adventure Base do backpacking and/or whitewater rafting.

You could check out this list: https://tap.scouting.org/council-operated-high-adventure-bases/

or this site: https://www.highadventurescouting.com/council.html

• Thanks 1

When my husband was in a scout troop, they camped once a month, including the winter months. Granted it was a smaller troop, but the scoutmaster was very motivated, and if the scouts want to do multiple camps, there are normally plenty of local camps/national forests for free camping scouts can use. If the troop/patrols wish to do more than 1 camp, I think it's worth accomodating them as possible, and it doesn't need to be expensive or extensive.

Summer (off school) is three months.  The perfect time for camping and activities.  Council camp is 7 nights.  For ten years, our troop did it's own extended camp too.  The troop extended camp was often destination based and other parents stepped up for skills or MB or helping out.  Those camp outs were often the best. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

High adventure does not require a specific camp like Philmont. Especially for older scouts who have planned many 3+ day camping trips, the next step is them planning and executing more adventurous excursions worthy of their skill level. If they are into canoeing, great. Find a location and plan it. With the internet it is easy to find locations nearby; routes and reviews abound online. Not just canoeing either. Backpacking, fishing, etc... Scouts planning their own adventures should be the norm, including summer camps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just returned from Summer Camp.  33 of 38 Scouts attended. (86.8%!!!)  Would have been 34, but one pulled out last minute due to a broken foot. ($465 per head with $50 early bird discount...some came in later at $515.  Plus a $40 bus ride to/from camp...so minimum $505 per camper.)

Last month, we offered a 35-mile hike over 5 days/4 nights on the Appalachian Trail.  We used this to conduct a Leave No Trace Trainer Course.  Only five Scouts took the opportunity.  ($110 per head.)

We also do a Troop high adventure each summer.  In two weeks, we leave for a 50-mile canoe trek (no portaging ;) ) with 10 Scouts and 2 adults.  We limited this crew size to 12 due to Leave No Trace considerations, campsite availability, logistics, and price.  We do this trek at about $130 per person, including gas and tolls for the drivers.  Put in point is 110 miles north of us.

Last summer, our camp cancelled, so we did our own Troop encampment.  Scouts loved it... no hustle and bustle pacing of a council-run camp...swimming, fishing, cooking, boating, exploring, and three merit badges offered: Mammal Study, Environmental Science, and Wilderness Survival (all with Troop leaders registered as counselors.)  ($230 per head, primarily for campsite rental.)  Our trek was a 60-mile cycling trek on a historic canal path, with ample time for camping, cooking, swimming, playing, etc. ($80 per head.)

After camp this year, Scouts are already talking about doing our own thing again next year...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
17 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I also wonder, how hard is it to get into the high adventure camps, Philmont, Northern Tier, Sea Base and Summit.

Very easy for small numbers... check the websites, crews often have several slots open and want you to join them to help lower overall cost for everyone.

Here's the Seabase Connections site:

https://www.bsaseabase.org/scouts/scout-connections/

• Upvote 1

We would be considered a "Hiking and Camping" troop, but add in Biking :) We weekend camp every month except December ( Service project for CO and Day Trip), February ( 2 Weekends of Scouting for Food and  Scout Sunday), and the month of summer camp. I know of troops that will do two week+ long camping trips, but one is usually geared towards older Scouts and high adventure. Problem is getting enough Scouters to take the 2nd trip. Usually if they have to decide on one trip or the other.

• Upvote 1

It does take an involved cadre of leaders and involved parent leaders

In 2019 out troop sent 3 crews to Seabase (6 leaders), 1 crew to Philmont (3 leaders), Summer camp in June (7 leaders) and Summer camp in July (5 leaders).  And as others have noted, 10 monthly campouts / events.  Good number of support leaders with reservations, medical form rechecks, finances, transportation, etc.

This does take independent planning by the crew and summer camp leaders.  With the Greenbard our outdoor chair initiates the items, but then a key leader runs with the actual event.

Traditionally we do two summer camps (June and July) and 1 HA trip (Seabase of Philmont) annually.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

After camp this year, Scouts are already talking about doing our own thing again next year...

Some of our Scouts asked the same thing, they really liked our week long Troop summer camp last summer.  The leaders all tried to downplay that option, running a troop camp is a lot of work.  Not enough time for afternoon naps, etc.

• Like 1

I liked what you wrote ... 

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

... our own Troop encampment.  Scouts loved it... no hustle and bustle pacing of a council-run camp...swimming, fishing, cooking, boating, exploring, and three merit badges offered: Mammal Study, Environmental Science, and Wilderness Survival (all with Troop leaders registered as counselors.)  

That sounds exactly like our summer experiences.  Way more relaxed.  Way more freedom to create their own experiences. 

Each year was a slightly different flavor, but each was for all troop aged scouts.  Each year brought something special ... the year the scouts discovered a short (????) cut from the group site to a gas station / ice cream shop.  ... An unused / unlocked / enclosed 1910's era shelter that became the 10pm shelter for a magic the card game ... etc.  

When you have 30/40 scouts, you still need other activities even if you have 10 scouts going on a high adventure.   It's how we got started with the troop extended camps.   Parents started asking about stuff for the rest of the scouts.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

It's hard, but if the older Scouts buy into it, and the parents buy into it, such a camp is well worth while.

A google search will yield many examples of Scout Troops  "doing" the Appalachian trail, for instance.   

Way back in my paleo Scout days, our Troop was blessed with dads (and moms!) that totally supported our adventures.  Somebody's cousin's uncle knew somebody who owned property up by Germantown MD.  The first year, (on "ordinary" weekend campouts), our Troop built a three sided log cabin, cleaned out and capped a spring with good water, dug a privy, dammed the creek for "serious" wading (not deep enough for a real swim) and over the next four years (then I was off to adult hood)organized a one or two week summer camp, IN ADDITION TO ( if you wanted to go) the Council camp on the Chesapeake Bay (Camp Roosevelt). 

Here on the east coast, I can recommend highly the Great Allegheny Passage Trail./ C&O Canal...     Pittsburgh to Washington DC, History, campgrounds along the way,  not much up and down....   Bicycle camping? 

• Upvote 1