45 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I can't think of many places that even have highly knowledge people anymore. REI is the only one that comes to mind. 

Yeah, you can find experts on the internet, though. You can also find people posing as experts.

You can learn a lot, including footwear reviews, from the king of backpacking, Andrew Skurka on his website, www.andrewskurka.com

He also has a video on YouTube for selecting 5 star campsites and one of my favorite parts is him saying don't pick a spot a Boy Scout troop would take. :) 

He gives a good explanation why.

r/Ultralight on Reddit is another good place for getting advice.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for footwear, find an outdoor shop with lots and lots of options. Feet are all different and so are shoes. What fits me might not fit you. If they only have a few options in your size then look els

As others have said, what fits me won't fit you, necessarily. Topo Terraventure and Altra Lone Peaks are good options for hiking due to their wide toe boxes. This can greatly reduce blisters. If

lion DL’s need to up their game https://text.npr.org/1030924211  

14 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

There is the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. Devils Lake in Wisconsin is a neat place.

This is probably the most sentimental hiking and camping location of my life. I did it with Scouts and otherwise. Along with two best friends, we did it a couple times. One of the two was killed in a head-on crash in the summer of 1976. He was a very close friend, fellow Scout and his dad SM across town. My friend died along with his parents and younger sister. My other friend and I returned the next year to memorialize him. I've not been back. Coldest bath I've ever taken was in Devil's Lake.

• Sad 2
19 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

This takes practice and it helps to be a musician, because if you consider your footfalls as "the beat," you'll be planting your poles on the beat, before the beat or after the beat, depending on what you are doing. If you are traveling some distance, and perhaps at anytime you are "underway," always, always have your footfalls land on the beat, that is, a uniform rhythm.

HaHaHa, Mr. Expert Percussionist who plays every note to perfection while alone in the dark! I want your pole planting instructional video and I want it now! ;) 

Started with 2+ miles this week. Reasonably decent and relatively sore. Light hiker process continues. The Asolos are very, very nice. Spendy, but worth it if they’re just right. Looked at a pair of Keen’s. Debating if I need over the ankle, as both of mine are weak. Blew out the left one playing basketball in my 20’s and it’s not been right since.

4 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Debating if I need over the ankle,

Over the ankle if wearing a backpack.  And also if hiking trails with a lot of loose rocks (double fist sized) that you'll be stepping over.

Philmont seems to have a lot more rocks on its trails than I remember from the 70's.

But, if you think about it, trails which have larger rocks uphill from them, pretty much self-trap rocks as they are loosened by rain and roll down the hill and land on the trail.  There really is no erosive process to move them off the trail as properly constructed trails are not nearly as steep as the hillsides they cut across. As it has been about 50 years since first hiking Philmont, I think my theory has some likelihood of being at least partially accurate.

You might do fine with a below the ankle boot but twisting an ankle 10 miles from a trailhead could be trouble.

@ThenNow before you go the "hook, line, and sinker" route, our Troop camped at Devil's Lake one April.

I checked historical weather reports for the area and packed shorts. (And long pants, too.) Be Prepared.

There was a foot of snow on the ground when we arrived and one other tent in the entire park.  The temp hit minus 9 overnight.

I'd like to do the AT, but that's probably a dream at this point.  Just walking around my garage cleaning it for 10 hours yesterday caused my injured foot and ankle to swell.  Maybe PT will eventually fix it. 

I always wonder what through hikers do for a living.  The couple with the 5 year old for example.  There's no way the Army or my wife's job would be cool with us disappearing for 209 days.  Even the Scouts in '36 - where did they find 121 days to do it?  I guess the missed some school?

9 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I'd like to do the AT, but that's probably a dream at this point.  Just walking around my garage cleaning it for 10 hours yesterday caused my injured foot and ankle to swell.  Maybe PT will eventually fix it. 

I always wonder what through hikers do for a living.  The couple with the 5 year old for example.  There's no way the Army or my wife's job would be cool with us disappearing for 209 days.  Even the Scouts in '36 - where did they find 121 days to do it?  I guess the missed some school?

First off, I am NOT telling my wife you spent 10 hours cleaning your garage. That’s on her bucket list (for me to do) and I’ve so far been non-compliant and pretty much deaf to the clanging of the bucket. Actually, I think I tipped that bucket over and stuck it in cement that is no longer wet. Well done, you. Cause of injuries?

The Scouts certainly weren’t from farm families. I know of young people in their late twenties/early thirties who bought small houses in strategic places a few years ago, built out garages with full untitled, AirBnB the house and the garage and live traveling around. Checks auto deposited and pay someone 5-10% to manage. One family I know makes $50k-$60k per year on their house and that’s not full-time rental. I was never so smart or adventurous. My wife hates camping and car travel so that may be part of it.

3 hours ago, Armymutt said:

The things I thought I'd be doing at this point before random parts started breaking or old injuries made me realize what I thought was healed was just physiological MacGyvering... still trying to get back there, or at least somewhere.  

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, ThenNow said:

First off, I am NOT telling my wife you spent 10 hours cleaning your garage. That’s on her bucket list (for me to do) and I’ve so far been non-compliant and pretty much deaf to the clanging of the bucket. Actually, I think I tipped that bucket over and stuck it in cement that is no longer wet. Well done, you. Cause of injuries?

The Scouts certainly weren’t from farm families. I know of young people in their late twenties/early thirties who bought small houses in strategic places a few years ago, built out garages with full untitled, AirBnB the house and the garage and live traveling around. Checks auto deposited and pay someone 5-10% to manage. One family I know makes $50k-$60k per year on their house and that’s not full-time rental. I was never so smart or adventurous. My wife hates camping and car travel so that may be part of it.

It started with me knocking over something and it wouldn't stay when I put it back up.  I still need to clean out the detached garage, but I'm waiting on my shed to be built - since April.  Got hit by a drunk driver in 2019 - SUV vs motorcycle.  Header pipe impaled my left midfoot.  

My wife hates camping and isn't a big fan of road trips either.  We are taking a different route of living in the country and trying to create insulation around us.  Relying on our jobs to fund that.  Never thought about the airBNB thing.  I have trust issues.

• Sad 1
On 2/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, Armymutt said:

Got hit by a drunk driver in 2019 - SUV vs motorcycle.  Header pipe impaled my left midfoot.  

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm reduced to hiking and biking. Well, and backpacking if I keep it real light. I'm still angry with bear canisters :)

I’m sorry, as well. I’m working on my effort to get back to some semblance of shape. Decided to work on balance, core strength and some old people stretching drills I found online. 

Another gear question. I have my old, well taken care (as in, little used) Osprey Atmos 50 and my youngest son appears to have left his 35 here. I am wondering about a day pack. I’ve heard several of you talk about working with the full gear/pack setup, but am taking all comers on thoughts and suggestions. I don’t mind spending money on this and was about ready to order one of the Osprey day packs. Several rate very highly. I know nothing about these current models - size, capability, etc. Water bladder? Many thanks, gentlemen. 

Edited by ThenNow
6 hours ago, ThenNow said:

was about ready to order one of the Osprey day packs. Several rate very highly. I know nothing about these current models - size, capability, etc. Water bladder? Many thanks, gentlemen. 

World Jambo US contingent issued Osprey day packs. My scouts love them, and it seemed that half the scouts from the rest of the world did too and would try to broker trades for them. Me … not so much. The side pockets weren’t deep enough for a standard water bottle. I had to attach a shock chord to keep from losing mine. I eventually traded with a young Spanish staff (after making sure his pack’s side pockets were sufficiently deep). I don’t know the brand, but I have been using it for the past two years with absolutely no regrets.