https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/BentonMacKaye.jpg  Benton MacKaye photo from Wikipedia

"2021 marks a century since regional planner Benton MacKaye  first published his vision for an Appalachian Trail (A.T.)—a recreational route “to establish a base for a more extensive and systematic development of outdoors community life.” What transpired from that point is a testament to human ingenuity, volunteerism, teamwork, and love of the outdoors—values that thrive along the 2,192-mile route between Maine and Georgia today. "

The following link contains "a brief photo history of the A.T., along which the Appalachian Mountain Club maintains more miles of trail than any organization.  Many thanks to the AMC Library and Archives, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and the Rauner Special Collections Library at Dartmouth College for their assistance compiling this history and these images."

https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/history/an-idea-turns-100-a-photo-history-of-the-appalachian-trail/?utm_campaign=mkg-oc-072021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=internal-oc-all&utm_content=cta1-btn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for footwear, find an outdoor shop with lots and lots of options. Feet are all different and so are shoes. What fits me might not fit you. If they only have a few options in your size then look els

As others have said, what fits me won't fit you, necessarily. Topo Terraventure and Altra Lone Peaks are good options for hiking due to their wide toe boxes. This can greatly reduce blisters. If

lion DL’s need to up their game https://text.npr.org/1030924211  

"" In 1936, a year before the Appalachian Trail was completed as one 
continuous, unbroken footpath, six Boy Scouts from the New York City 
area followed the route from Maine to Georgia. It was a 121-day 
odyssey into manhood and its significance as perhaps the first 
thru-hike of the A.T. wasn't realized until recently by one of the participants."" > > > 

Yes, the AT was a popular route way back when: 

https://www.atmuseum.org/1936-boy-scout-thru-hike.html

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm fortunate to live about an hour from the AT in Virginia and a member of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. One of the best stories about the AT is Grandma Gatewood hiking it and in a way, pioneering the ultralight backpacking movement.

At 67, she was the first woman to hike the entire AT. Many scouters who think they need a 75 pound pack should read up on how she hiked from Georgia to Maine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I'm fortunate to live about an hour from the AT in Virginia and a member of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. One of the best stories about the AT is Grandma Gatewood hiking it and in a way, pioneering the ultralight backpacking movement.

At 67, she was the first woman to hike the entire AT. Many scouters who think they need a 75 pound pack should read up on how she hiked from Georgia to Maine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

Let's hope it survives the next 100. Did you see this in Washington Post? In case there is a paywall, article basically outlines how the trail has been swamped during the pandemic. Unlike national parks that at least have paid rangers and can in some cases limit access to timed entry reservations, the AT cannot do that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/08/22/appalachian-trail-crowds-roller-coaster-hikers/

Units here have traditionally hiked parts of the AT every year but the number of oddballs on the trail recently in addition to sheer numbers is making it problematic.  This is also occuring on other popular local trail systems and in parks and campgrounds that have traditionally been pretty accessible and safe. Great to see folks enjying the outdoors. Not so great to simply seeing the  living room party mentality moved outdoors. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, yknot said:

Units here have traditionally hiked parts of the AT every year but the number of oddballs on the trail recently in addition to sheer numbers is making it problematic.  This is also occurring on other popular local trail systems and in parks and campgrounds that have traditionally been pretty accessible and safe. Great to see folks enjoying the outdoors. Not so great to simply seeing the  living room party mentality moved outdoors. 

Suburban sprawl, tourism, recreational vehicles*, and vandalism are definitely negatively impacting trails (and lakes and rivers) in New England whether they are ranger protected Acadia trails or public trails like Mid-State trail in Mass.

:(

1 hour ago, yknot said:

Let's hope it survives the next 100. Did you see this in Washington Post? In case there is a paywall, article basically outlines how the trail has been swamped during the pandemic. Unlike national parks that at least have paid rangers and can in some cases limit access to timed entry reservations, the AT cannot do that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/08/22/appalachian-trail-crowds-roller-coaster-hikers/

Units here have traditionally hiked parts of the AT every year but the number of oddballs on the trail recently in addition to sheer numbers is making it problematic.  This is also occuring on other popular local trail systems and in parks and campgrounds that have traditionally been pretty accessible and safe. Great to see folks enjying the outdoors. Not so great to simply seeing the  living room party mentality moved outdoors. 

Well, we'll see if those folks continue but as the population grows, it's not a surprise there are more people on the trails. The AT is never too far from some town.

I'm backpacking in Yosemite next month, as long as the fires stay away (no with scouts). I hope the AT never becomes a permit thing like it is out west.

• 5 months later...

I promise I'm not lurking, but found this thread by virtue of the title. When I attended the NOAC in 1977, it was my first exposure to the trail and TN for that matter. I went home with a desire to hike the trail and lifelong allergies, which I had not previously experienced. I had to schlep tissues everywhere bc the hankie gets gross after a while. So, here I wake up and I'm 60. In the interim, I've have had 9 orthopedic surgeries, umpteen injections and procedures and multiple RFA treatments (on everything from L5-SI). Among the surgeries were a knee replacement and 2 each on both shoulders. My interest in hiking has started to itch, probably spurred by this forum, but I am a bit of a mess. Two questions:

1) I plan to hike the hilly trails around me, start carrying a light pack and build from there, once I see how I do. Could be an adventure within and adventure. Any specific recommendations for someone like me? I will definitely use at least one stick. My back is effectively pain free bc Radio Frequency Ablation fries the nerves. I need to go in for a round on SI to be certain I'm good to go.

2) What are the least aggressive parts of the trail to make a start? I believe the lower section in GA is among them. 

Thanks muchly!

• Like 1

So, what my brother (who is a hiking guide for YMCA of the Rockies and has one or another accumulation of injuries) did was find a county conservation park near his otherwise flat and featureless town, made friends with a farmer’s adjacent property, and commits to hiking the grounds (which includes a couple of nice ravines) at least three times a week.

Your step #1 sounds about the same.

For #2, look up some good trail guides at the library. Also, there AT clubs and groups online. They do some really good work, and can help pick suitable sections and let you I. On meet-ups .

#3 … get a buddy. Preferably a family member or two who will start this journey with you.

• Thanks 1

I know this is like asking for opinions on the best BBQ and other highly contested subjects, but recommendations for light hikers? I wore Merrills for a while then the last and sizing got off (and my feet bonier) and they became uncomfortable. I’ve given away the last two pair I’ve had. My Gortex boots are well-preserved Montrails and I still like them a lot.

20 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I know this is like asking for opinions on the best BBQ and other highly contested subjects, but recommendations for light hikers? I wore Merrills for a while then the last and sizing got off (and my feet bonier) and they became uncomfortable. I’ve given away the last two pair I’ve had. My Gortex boots are well-preserved Montrails and I still like them a lot.

Your footwear is critically important. Do you currently need arch supports, or have a wide foot?  I do, and use New Balance trail running shoes, as they accommodate my orthopedics.

Next...crawl, walk, hike, backpack...I'm sure you are past the crawling.  Do you walk a lot?  If not, start there.  Even on a treadmill, if necessary.  Can you walk five miles at a good pace (you have to define this for yourself) with no problems?  If yes, you are ready to do longer days hike.  

Carry Scout Essentials only, hit a local urban trail, and shoot for 10 miles.  Recuperate, evaluate your footwear and gear, and do it again.  And again.

Then try a 15er in a day.

Do those, and then we can talk backpacking and lightweight gear.

Work up to it please.  You ain't a spring chicken anymore 🤪🤪🤪

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Your footwear is critically important. Do you currently need arch supports, or have a wide foot?  I do, and use New Balance trail running shoes, as they accommodate my orthopedics.

Next...crawl, walk, hike, backpack...I'm sure you are past the crawling.  Do you walk a lot?  If not, start there.  Even on a treadmill, if necessary.  Can you walk five miles at a good pace (you have to define this for yourself) with no problems?  If yes, you are ready to do longer days hike.  

Narrow with plantar fasciitis supports. New balance have been my shoe for decades. They stopped making my number or changed it a lot. I’ll see what I can find.

I am in a very hilly neighborhood with easy to challenging natural trails nearby. We walked 3 a day in the neighborhood until the colder weather deterred my wife. I used to do the park with my (then living) dogs several times a month. That was a good bit ago. 5 flat for sure. Have to build back in our neighborhood. Good advice, all. I am very competitive and tend to push. With the trauma issues, I’ve battled eating disorders and exercise addiction back in 2010-2012. Wound up with a heart attack. Low carb, low fat and 600+ calorie per day burn on cardio alone. I’m past that now after residential treatment.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, ThenNow said:

I promise I'm not lurking, but found this thread by virtue of the title. When I attended the NOAC in 1977, it was my first exposure to the trail and TN for that matter. I went home with a desire to hike the trail and lifelong allergies, which I had not previously experienced. I had to schlep tissues everywhere bc the hankie gets gross after a while. So, here I wake up and I'm 60. In the interim, I've have had 9 orthopedic surgeries, umpteen injections and procedures and multiple RFA treatments (on everything from L5-SI). Among the surgeries were a knee replacement and 2 each on both shoulders. My interest in hiking has started to itch, probably spurred by this forum, but I am a bit of a mess. Two questions:

1) I plan to hike the hilly trails around me, start carrying a light pack and build from there, once I see how I do. Could be an adventure within and adventure. Any specific recommendations for someone like me? I will definitely use at least one stick. My back is effectively pain free bc Radio Frequency Ablation fries the nerves. I need to go in for a round on SI to be certain I'm good to go.

2) What are the least aggressive parts of the trail to make a start? I believe the lower section in GA is among them. 

Thanks muchly!

I can't add much to this other than to say make sure you read A Walk in the Woods if you haven't already.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1