Local Council High Adventure Awards

Hi,

I'm a Scouter with a Troop in San Diego Imperial council. Someone (thank you nameless person) has put together a guide to all the various High Adventure awards offered by councils in Southern California, up to the Southern Sierra Nevada

http://highadventureawards.com/, also see all the awards at http://highadventureawards.com/PDFs/BoyScoutHighAdventureAwards.pdf

In a spate of boredom/nosiness I started searching the web to see what awards are offered by other councils around the country. However so far I haven't found any. So my question is this: if 

Is SoCal unique in offering local High Adventure awards? Or do other councils offer their own patches and awards?

Note that I am not asking about camps run by local councils that have HA programs, or national awards (Triple Crown, Grand Slam, National trails Award and so on). I'm wondering if local councils have awards for "climb this mountain", "canoe this river", "do this backpack route" etc.?

Wait ... high adventure awards aren't a standard council offering? Huh. I assumed every council offered an award of this kind. I know there are the Historic Trails awards, and I have seen patches on various collecting sites that appear to be of the same ilk ... an interesting query indeed!

Also: greetings from your neighbor council up north in Orange County! 🙋🏼‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

@The Latin Scot I'd initially assumed the same but now I'm starting to think the local awards from SDIC, GLAAC, WLAC, OCC etc are unique. I haven't managed to find any other council outside of Southern California that offers local awards. They often reference the 4 National HA Bases, maybe their local HA camps (although I've yet to find a good list of them all), the 50 miler, National Historic trails etc. But no local awards.

FWIW a few of our Scouts recently earned the "WILDERNESS SLOT CANYONEERING" award from OCC. Impressive patch that! And a fantastic adventure trip to earn it too.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping our scouts could earn one of the Lewis and Clark awards.  I'm not sure it's the same thing you are talking about, but it is a bragging rights award. 

https://lewisandclark.org/scouts/

I've seen others, but extremely few of our scouts have earned anything like this.  Usually it was because they participated in a special (not-BSA national) HA program.

14 hours ago, UKScouterInCA said:

@The Latin Scot I'd initially assumed the same but now I'm starting to think the local awards from SDIC, GLAAC, WLAC, OCC etc are unique. I haven't managed to find any other council outside of Southern California that offers local awards. They often reference the 4 National HA Bases, maybe their local HA camps (although I've yet to find a good list of them all), the 50 miler, National Historic trails etc. But no local awards.

FWIW a few of our Scouts recently earned the "WILDERNESS SLOT CANYONEERING" award from OCC. Impressive patch that! And a fantastic adventure trip to earn it too.

Well, I think we are lucky to live in a region with great programs and properties that have helped keep Scouting (compared to many other areas) relatively robust despite the rather calamitous national goings-on. And I have always been impressed with a lot of the great things I hear about your council; we are blessed to be where we are! 😄

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...