2021 Sea Base Out Island Adventure - How I Almost Got Hypothermia

<record scratch> You're probably wondering how I could possibly almost get hypothermia in the keys in summer. We'll come back to that.

Some random thoughts on out Out Island Adventure.

I was smart booking out vans well in advance because the cost of rentals went up. I was dumb booking at Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale, which has more and cheaper flights.

Every high adventure is a long wait at the rental counter for our van(s). Two hours this time. I hate rental car companies.

While you might not need much insulation on the island, you do at the Environmental Center for the first and last night or you'll be sleeping cold.

Take long pants to the island. The no-see-ums can be awful in the evening.

The paddle out to Big Munson Island is no joke. If you think you're just coming on a vacation and don't need to be in shape. Think again. I wish I'd known we'd snorkel just before going to the island. I would have had my GoPro ready.

Make sure your footwear straps tight to your feet. The "lovely" sargasm and muck near the beach will pull your shoes right off otherwise.

The smell. Well eventually you'll become mostly nose blind to it.

I was grateful to have a good hammock spot at our campsite. My tarp allowed for more airflow during storms than the provided tents. Also it meant I didn't have to tent with someone, which I really don't like. It was really hot the first night. I had to partially open the bug net of my hammock to get better airflow. One night, the rain and wind made it a little chilly in my hammock, so I got out my sleeping bag liner.

I initially set up my tarp in "porch mode". Don't do this. Set up in storm mode. There will be storms.

On fishing day, we got to a great spot, dropped our lines and a storm came in. Nobody, including the large captain, could pull up the anchor. He tried using the boat to break it loose, but no luck. We cut the anchor and booked it back to the Environmental Center to get a new anchor. The storm hit us and the rain and wind was cold. I started shivering like crazy. Much longer and hypothermia was possible. The mate had the scouts singing Taylor Swift songs which I considered to be a crime against humanity.

We went back out and both of our crews got enough fish to cook that night. We had a competition and the mates said both did an awesome job. It was a tie.

Snorkel day was supposed to be at Looe Key, one of the most dived spots in the world. Weather moved us closer to Munson, unfortunately. We still had a great time. 

Our mates were very proud of our crews. I told the crews the adults are on vacation and this is their adventure. They took charge and did a great job. Our mate was surprised to find out I was the scoutmaster. She said I wasn't like any of the other scoutmasters. I took it as a compliment. She said that's how she meant it. Don't be overbearing. Let them make (safe) mistakes. When necessary, tell your crew leader things to tell the crews. 

A stomach bug was going through the staff. It hit our 2 crews. One in our crew was vomiting quite a bit. Then one in the other crew. That kid has Diabetes and it triggered some complications. His dad was there and knows more about Diabetes than many medical professionals. It reached a point where they went back to base. Fortunately, he got much better overnight. His dad came back to the island to help paddle back. He enjoys that.

On our way to the airport, that dad's other son on the trip started throwing up. Then my son did. Then I started feeling not right. The four of us decided to get a hotel and skip the flight. There were still 2 adults to go with the remaining kids. Two other kids stayed in FL for family vacation.

I was going to be coming back down to FL with my family on the Auto Train, so we just stayed and rented a car to Orlando. I got sick, but didn't get the nausea. I just had a bad fever and no appetite.

Other than the illnesses that each lasted about 24 hours, it was a great trip (other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?).

GOPR0553.JPG

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

... Our mates were very proud of our crews. I told the crews the adults are on vacation and this is their adventure. They took charge and did a great job. Our mate was surprised to find out I was the scoutmaster. She said I wasn't like any of the other scoutmasters. I took it as a compliment. She said that's how she meant it. Don't be overbearing. Let them make (safe) mistakes. When necessary, tell your crew leader things to tell the crews. ...

You know you've "arrived" when you begin to hear things like this. Like I explain to my crew: Advisor = Good for nothing and best used that way.

I should have told you to expect island camping to have that pervasive low-tide smell. No love lost between me and no-see-ums. And, yes, that tropical hypothermia is a surreal feeling.

Edited by qwazse
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, fred8033 said:

My legs suffered from the no-see-ums bites for weeks  The sargassum was gross and smelled.  It was an incredible experience though.

Same. I scratched my legs so much yesterday they started to bleed.

• Upvote 1

Some more random thoughts/advice.

Adults, consider bringing a book. You should be leaving your crew to run dinner. You'll have down time.

Tell your crew leader to mentally plan out meals with the food out. Set aside the items for each of the meals. Don't do this with them. I wish they'd noticed the gravy packet for the potatoes, but let them do it.

If any crew members take a hammock, make sure they have practice setting up and accept that there might not be adequate spots for everyone.

The tents are 4 person tents. Even if you have a full crew, you won't have 4 in a tent. You don't want 4 in a tent. All those bodies would make the tent even hotter.

If you get your water bottle branded, make sure it's not cheapo Wal Mart brand. It will develop a hole.

Leukotape is good for blisters/wounds. It sticks pretty well.

If Dramamine is your motion sickness med of choice, take 2 the night before and 1 the morning of the motion. You'll be less drowsy. Or try Bonine.

They have Gatorade canisters in the chuck box, but you might want to take your own flavors if you don't like lemon lime or orange. Having something to add to the water not only gives electrolytes, having something with flavor is a morale booster. I suggest Brawndo.  :)

Paddling gloves are not just good for preventing blisters from paddling, the prevent sunburn on the backs of your hands, which are one of the most common place to get sunburn.

• Upvote 1
On 7/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, 69RoadRunner said:

… Adults, consider bringing a book. You should be leaving your crew to run dinner. You'll have down time.

Tell your crew leader to mentally plan out meals with the food out. Set aside the items for each of the meals. Don't do this with them. I wish they'd noticed the gravy packet for the potatoes, but let them do it. …

This :rolleyes:. ‘Nuff said.

• Upvote 1
On 7/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, 69RoadRunner said:

If Dramamine is your motion sickness med of choice, take 2 the night before and 1 the morning of the motion. You'll be less drowsy. Or try Bonine.

LOL ... drawmanine ... good story

I brought dramamine and debated on taking it.  I did not.  Staff thought I was getting sick because I kept falling asleep on the boat ride out to a dive.  They said it was a symptom of sea sickness.  ... not for me ... I love being in rough water and have been on rough water after many times ...   I love being on the water.  ...  I was just extremely comfortable with cool temps and a cool breeze ... and after little sleep in a tent at 90+F with 80F dew point ... the waves were rocking me to sleep like a baby.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, fred8033 said:

LOL ... drawmanine ... good story

I brought dramamine and debated on taking it.  I did not.  Staff thought I was getting sick because I kept falling asleep on the boat ride out to a dive.  They said it was a symptom of sea sickness.  ... not for me ... I love being in rough water and have been on rough water after many times ...   I love being on the water.  ...  I was just extremely comfortable with cool temps and a cool breeze ... and after little sleep in a tent at 90+F with 80F dew point ... the waves were rocking me to sleep like a baby.  

My motion sickness issue has gotten worse as I've gotten older, unfortunately. I really can't enjoy boat rides.

• 10 months later...