It was Good to be back at Summer Camp last week

46 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Typically at summer camps 30% - 40% and I would assume the same for Philmont.  Our council camp was the same as most staff typically work +/- 3 summers.  This year about 2/3 new as opposed to 1/3

About the same for us. Some of the old guard were called back to Heritage Reservation. Some had stepped down from the scouting pro's to staff the camp. Also, we absorbed some of the staff from the now sold Camp Twin Echo. They are passionate about the camp and are pretty sharp. The new staff seemed competent and engaged the scouts during slack time. (E.g., a female staff asked my ASPL his opinion of girl troops and got a respectful earful.) I think that was partly because our scouts, in spite of their personal opinions, felt like the female staff and female Scouts BSA were just like them.

Seasoned staff, however, have the skills to work anywhere for more. Certainly the scout from our troop who was a back-office manager making schedules and advancement tracking hum could be doing the same in industry for much much more. So, when times get tough for any of them, they won't be available.

The facilities were improved.