I am not new to Scouting but......

A phone is a tool, like any other, and likewise should be taught to be used appropriately. It could have a lot of uses in a scouting setting, but unfortunately many units ban them. And in some cases, as evidenced by this thread, they even cite non-existent policies to enforce a ban.

I think we're doing a disservice to scouts to just say "no phones" instead of recognizing that technology is here to stay and guiding them on how and when to use it in a scouting setting appropriately.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

As a high adventure director I’ve no problems with cell phones. In our environment where there is no cell service the only function left is that of a camera. However, we warn them that we don’t replace cell phones should they flip a boat. It’s up to them to keep their phones dry...

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies. I did talk to our Scoutmaster last night and he is opposed to them also.  The female leader that took the phones also sends out the emails and I see she has now added a #6 rule to the list of no phones allowed whatsoever at meetings or camp outs.  It was not there before.  There has also been a rule for years of no flip flops or sandals.  I assume this to include slides and crocs.  A small group met last night to finish geocaching and 3/8 of them had on unapproved footwear....yet nothing was said.  So I feel as thought all rules need to be enforced or none.  I am firmly in disagreement with not taking their phones but I guess I am powerless to change anything.

24 minutes ago, ShutterbugMom said:

I am firmly in disagreement with not taking their phones but I guess I am powerless to change anything.

This seems like an issue the troop committee could address.

39 minutes ago, malraux said:

This seems like an issue the troop committee could address.

The first person I called was someone on the committee.  She felt it should be left up to the troop.

So how would they handle First Class Requirement 4B if a separate GPS device was not available?  "Demonstrate how to use a handheld GPS unit, GPS app on a smartphone, or other electronic navigation system. Use GPS to find your current location, a destination of your choice, and the route you will take to get there. Follow that route to arrive at your destination."

31 minutes ago, NDW5332 said:

So how would they handle First Class Requirement 4B if a separate GPS device was not available?  "Demonstrate how to use a handheld GPS unit, GPS app on a smartphone, or other electronic navigation system. Use GPS to find your current location, a destination of your choice, and the route you will take to get there. Follow that route to arrive at your destination."

@NDW5332 clearly, the scouts would go home, pull out their smart phones, and one would video the other using his/her phone to navigate. They would then post videos of them doing this task to their patrol leader, who would sign off in the scouts' handbook at the next meeting. Of course they would cc the SM, ASM and concerned parents to maximize YP. :ph34r:

@ShutterbugMom, the SM is the one who sets the boundaries. The committee needs to quickly reply firmly that they will stand behind the SM's decisions as to what tools scouts may keep on their persons at meetings or camp. They need to let this parent know that if she deems it important for her son to be under leadership that makes rules to her own liking,  she is more than welcome to start her own troop.

Frankly, if I were SM or ASM I would send notice to all parents and scouts regarding anyone who adds blanket rules. I would tell the troop that they were misrepresenting the troop committee and myself. When we share a policy change, we give the reason, and set a time for when the committee will evaluate the usefulness of the rule.