Chapter 11 Announced - Part 4 Revised Plan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@CynicalScouter Thanks from me and frankly, surely everyone, for tracking on the status of National's bankruptcy pleadings, and the procedural steps, past and pending, in the Bankruptcy case. And your

Okay. Enough. If you aren't talking about court proceedings then drop it.  It would be a shame to lock this thread now.

A few random observations from watching this bankruptcy unfold over the past several months: The focus has clearly been on protecting the national organization first and then the local councils.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

When this is all over, we can get back to discussing red shoulder loops vs green.  ;)

Deal. Would someone please be prepared to explain to me who came up with the idea of a diver’s belt for boys who adventure around the water? Aka, Skill Awards. They were vexing then and it puzzles me still. Inquiring minds…

• Thanks 1

I feared all along that there wouldn't be much money, given the number of claimants.  I say claimants because how in the world could a victim proof of loss be blank, yet valid?  I remember every disgusting detail of my abuse.  And, while the insurers will still have to settle out (which may take years) it appears that fear was well-founded. 

When all is said and done, there is nothing that can heal the damage the BSA and its camp employee did to my entire life.   Trust issues, 2 divorces, relationship issues--none of this can be undone and acting as if a pittance will somehow compensate me is nothing but an insult.  I'm not so sure you could buy a badly used car with the amount we may receive.  And for those who are represented to the tune of 40-50%, it is even more of a gut punch after all the talk of sizable recovery.

I don't want this to come down only to money, like a nominal class-action settlement.  If they are allowed to continue on, I would like to see the BSA memorialize the victims as part of this process.  I'm not sure if that is a place I could visit or a portion of the Charter that acknowledges us and assures it could never happen again.   I'm not a veteran, but I have seen how cathartic the Vietnam Memorial has been to those who were touched by the war.  Maybe something somewhere.  I was looking for closure and see none.  Years after I had done my best to bury the damage, this process ripped open the wounds again.  And I feel empty.

• Sad 3

Just a comment or two, the BSA plan is a "placeholder" that it needed to file to stay in synch with the court docket and make progress toward bankruptcy emergence.  Don't assume it's the product of wide-scale agreements.  Like past plans, the other parties will now comment and object or support all or parts.  While he has a large number of victims as clients, Kosnoff is not a mediation party.  If the TCC wanted to accomplish a global settlement with all the insurers by now it could have, at fractions of pennies on the dollar.  If a plan transfers the insurance policies to a Trust it puts the trust in charge of litigating to maximize all insurance proceeds it can on behalf of victims.  The fact that the TCC and Coalition aren't speaking suggests that they are working closely.  If the past holds form, now that the BSA has filed a plan the TCC may schedule its next Town Hall soon.

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

I feared all along that there wouldn't be much money, given the number of claimants.  I say claimants because how in the world could a victim proof of loss be blank, yet valid?  I remember every disgusting detail of my abuse.  And, while the insurers will still have to settle out (which may take years) it appears that fear was well-founded. 

When all is said and done, there is nothing that can heal the damage the BSA and its camp employee did to my entire life.   Trust issues, 2 divorces, relationship issues--none of this can be undone and acting as if a pittance will somehow compensate me is nothing but an insult.  I'm not so sure you could buy a badly used car with the amount we may receive.  And for those who are represented to the tune of 40-50%, it is even more of a gut punch after all the talk of sizable recovery.

I don't want this to come down only to money, like a nominal class-action settlement.  If they are allowed to continue on, I would like to see the BSA memorialize the victims as part of this process.  I'm not sure if that is a place I could visit or a portion of the Charter that acknowledges us and assures it could never happen again.   I'm not a veteran, but I have seen how cathartic the Vietnam Memorial has been to those who were touched by the war.  Maybe something somewhere.  I was looking for closure and see none.  Years after I had done my best to bury the damage, this process ripped open the wounds again.  And I feel empty.

Your points are excellent and feelings understandable.  The very sad fact of this whole situation is that the BSA has put all victims into a bankruptcy process and not a justice process.  This has been about business and not justice and for many that hurts the most.  One thing to consider is that the TCC has mentioned that as part of this there will be "non-monetery issues" to address after the dollar amounts have been settled upon.  The TCC has specifically said that as a part of the BSA restructuring it is focused upon the IV Files so that abusers are known and not able to be a part of other youth-serving organizations, and changes to the BSA Youth Protection program.  Given tat the TCC is made up of nine victims I'd be surprised if they have forgotten about these issues.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

Me either, but it was what was dangled before us and we were drawn out by it, hope against hope.

That’s a profound idea, but I regret it is highly unlikely. Who wants to “remember us” from here to whenever. Like the BSA, most really want this issue and wreckage to hide in a closet somewhere. It’s shocking to me that CSA is not a greater focus for our government and society. It’s uncomfortable and distasteful to contemplate too long. We, of all people, know what it feels like to stare it down. Maybe it’s something we could self-generate. I’m game. I think there’s zero percent chance BSA would touch it with a 1000’ pole.

So very well said, as to no closure and wounds reopened. Thanks for voicing it and being here to make it known. This is a big part of the story that has been resoundingly overlooked since 2.18.2020. I hope to tell it more fully one day. 

Edited by ThenNow
1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Me either, but it was what was dangled before us and we were drawn out by it, hope against hope.

That’s a profound idea, but I regret it is highly unlikely. Who wants to “remember us” from here to whenever. Like the BSA, most really want this issue and wreckage to hide in a closet somewhere. It’s shocking to me that CSA is not a greater focus for our government and society. It’s uncomfortable and distasteful to contemplate too long. We, of all people, know what it feels like to stare it down. Maybe it’s something we could self-generate. I’m game. I think there’s zero percent chance BSA would touch it with a 1000’ pole.

So very well said, as to no closure and wounds reopened. Thanks for voicing it and being here to make it known. This is a big part of the story that has been resoundingly overlooked since 2.18.2020. I hope to tell it more fully one day. 

Welp, I hope the focus stays on youth protection and that if there is any good that comes out of this horrific mess it's that fewer children are harmed in the future in scouting and elsewhere. I hope eyes have been opened and that things are learned from this.  I'm not a survivor so I can't presume to know how any of you feel about that but that to my third hand perspective would be at least some kind of nameless but worthwhile monument to your pain.  BSA cannot forget what happened. It can't keep happening. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, yknot said:

17 minutes ago, yknot said:

I hope eyes have been opened and that things are learned from this. 

I hope so to. As has been said, we have a step forward and even that is just a “placeholder,” per MYCVAStory. BSA appears poised to exit along with LCs in some form or fashion, but they leave with something brand new. Yes, they can be secure in the channeling injunction’s protection of their back, and if they can implement that “full stop,” a reduced threat to the ramparts going forward. The 800 pound gorilla they inadvertently attracted is state criminal investigations. I think that trend is just getting started. When they gear up and start issuing reports, many more eyes will be opened and, perhaps, many jaws held agape. 

What is the significance of the letter I received last night titled: " Service of Notice of Designation of Additional Permitted Parties Under Bar Date Order"?  I understand what it says but don't get why an additional party is becoming involved.

Saw this in another forum and confirmed with someone I know who is on the Council Board.

All LCs have now been given by the Ad Hoc Committee a "bill" for how much each LC will have to chip in as part of the $500 million LC contribution.

LCs have until July 9 to vote to approve/disapprove the amount.

4 hours ago, Eagle1970 said:

Service of Notice of Designation of Additional Permitted Parties Under Bar Date Order

This came from the court, I assume? Is it a perfunctory form notice or anything of substance and/or referencing some other filing? I’ve seen nothing to date.

3 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

All LCs have now been given by the Ad Hoc Committee a "bill" for how much each LC will have to chip in as part of the $500 million LC contribution.

LCs have until July 9 to vote to approve/disapprove the amount.

These are going out generally or to claimants based on whether their LC is agreeing to the the contribution? I’m keen to see what goes down with the closed state LCs.

Edited by ThenNow

I keep seeing individuals comment that BSA has to somehow guarantee this can never happen again.  That is not a likely possibility, as we live in the real world of humans, and they are prone to a wide range of less than positive actions and ideas.  There can never be an absolute, but the barriers and safeguards can be put in place and closer awareness should become a regular part of our program, both as adults and youth.  We have just had a local case in a private school that is held in high esteem.  Now, there is an investigation and digging from the past.  It never goes away, because perversions are a reality of the human race.