Do Anything Different for Eagle Scoutmaster Conference?

I have an Eagle scoutmaster conference and wondering if you do anything different? 

I'm thinking of asking more about his future plans and what he's gained in scouting.

I always keep Scoutmaster conferences positive, low stress. It's a good conversation.

It really depends on the scout.

Sometimes we go over the board of review process. Sometimes we go over how to respond during an interview, Sometimes we review a little paperwork.

But, by and large, a positive, relaxed, reflection on the scout’s career is what we’re here for.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

At that point on the trail to Eagle, your SM conference can almost be reversed as the Scout can do much of the conference about the program and person experiences.  And, the SM conference is not just a one-time requirement, but when ever the SM has a conference type tone, if there such a thing.  Most often I focus on the board prep to relieve some anxiety.  My follow-up, post-board conference is probably the most in-depth conversation I had from SM to Scout.  

At that final board point of the trail, I like to stress how the Scout can share their Scouting experience with the board that may not know them.  

• Upvote 1

DoubleEagle makes an excellent point, one that not only bears repeating but expansion.

"And, the SM conference is not just a one-time requirement, but when ever the SM has a conference type tone, if there such a thing."

I would encourage a change in our mindset about SM conferences being tied in to the rank advancement. Sure, they often take place just prior to a BOR. However as DE reminds us, they are not a one-time req. I would remind us all that these conferences should be ongoing, and often. Whether the conferences are with the SM or ASMs, these are a significant opportunity to get to know the scouts, encourage them, find out what they need, etc...

We often talk (write) about sitting around with coffee watching the boys do their program, but we should not ignore a primary responsibility we have which is to regularly conference with our scouts; and not just as a rank advancement check-in. These conferences are where the SM can advise the scout about all the program goings on. Leadership development training- SM conference. Patrol method issues- SM conference. Ideas and decision making- SM conference.

Adults should be seen and not heard during the main program (unless invited to speak by the scouts). But regular SM conferences should be occuring often between scouts and SM.

How often do "you" conference with each of your scouts?

Is it only for the rank advancement and/or behaviorial issues? 

Or is it used as a method (adult association) to help the scout grow in all aspects of the program?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

How often do "you" conference with each of your scouts? 

• At least once during summer camp. 
  • Minimum .. twice a year.  
  • SM had his list of scouts with date of when he chatted with the last scout. 

Is it only for the rank advancement and/or behavioral issues? 

• SM viewed it more as keeping in contact with the scouts.
  • "Sometimes" scouts often wouldn't even know they had a SM conference. 
  • Often, it would be an explicit SM conference.  But he'd sign off if they had chatted recently and had a good conversation about how things were going.

Or is it used as a method (adult association) to help the scout grow in all aspects of the program?

• Not planned as "adult association".  May have been a side benefit.
  • Done to keep in contact with scouts.

The answer per how my favorite SM worked.  

• Upvote 1

For me the Eagle Conference was different for each scout. It's a bit of a review and a bit of future expectations of being and Eagle. I don't make a big deal of it really because I've had several conversations with them in the past. I have invited the parents now and then to review what their son can expect from the EBOR. Some families get anxious about it. A few relatives of one scout's flew in from another state. I try to bring calm and do a little bragging in all the conferences. I have done a couple conferences during Backpacking hikes. I think it is important to treat the discussion as two equal adults having a discussion. It's hard because you are the scout MASTER evacuating the SCOUT. But, try to imagine the conference as more of two mentors comparing notes. 

Barry

On 7/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, Double Eagle said:

... At that final board point of the trail, I like to stress how the Scout can share their Scouting experience with the board that may not know them.  

I also like to stress how that's not the final point along the trail.

About as three months hence (and quarterly thereafter), expect the scout to meet with you to fulfill Palm requirement #5.

... 1. Be active in the Boy Scouts of America for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after the last Palm was earned ... 5. While an Eagle Scout, participate in a Scoutmaster conference. ...

Requirements for Eagle...

Scout #1...   father and I were good Scouter friends. Sons were in same Cub Pack, joined different Troops, but knew each other, saw each other at events.  Scout #1 completed all his requirements, filled out all the forms, workbook etc. well within time limits.  Troop OK, District OK, Council said "This is last years form. You must fill out the up-to-date form..."  Scout said to hell with this, quit Scouting. Six months later he joins the Air Force.

Scout #2.  Parents eager for son to "make Eagle". Scout is 15  and a half.  Dad asks me to speak at son's CoH, read Eagle charge, I say certainly, proud to participate.  Kid was active in Troop,  I thought well liked among peers....   All paperwork, requirements fulfilled. Troop OK, District OK, Council OK...   CoH party held, fine small affair.   Never saw the Scout again..... 

Scout #3.     Has fun with Scouting, but halfheartedly pursues Eagle stuff. Complains that he is always being "pursued"  by the younger Scouts (well, he is named a "Trainer"), never gets out with the older kids.  Is encouraged to go to Philmont (second time as a "Trek Leader") and Jamboree Staff. Finds a good project.  Turn in workbook to Troop Committee age 17.956. 

Scout #4.  "The Unknown Scout"...   At this time, I live in a small house some distance off the road.  One afternoon, I return from work and turn into my drive, I see a bit of color on the side of the main road. I stop, get out to look. It is a Scout neckerchief, with woggle installed, dirty, thrown over on the gravel shoulder.  The woggle is still on both ends of the necker.  I  contact the local Troops, but no one ever ID's or claims it. 

Scout #5...   Scoutson (yes he is Eagle) is photographed sitting on a stump, with an axe and file in his hands. Watching him is an  obviously younger Scout , standing closeby, hands on knees, looking intently at the axe and file.  I sometimes wish I knew what happened to that younger Scout, so many years ago. I know what happened to Scoutson. 

Edited by SSScout
On 6/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, 69RoadRunner said:

I have an Eagle scoutmaster conference and wondering if you do anything different? 

Start with

"Let me talk with you about a great Multi Level Marketing opportunity with Amway..." and see what transpires 😀

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Start with

"Let me talk with you about a great Multi Level Marketing opportunity with Amway..." and see what transpires 😀

Man, that's old school. Today, it would be Essential Oils. Gotta stay current with the kids.  :)

3 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Man, that's old school. Today, it would be Essential Oils. Gotta stay current with the kids.  :)

Yeah. They are not yet old enough for an elapsed auto warranty.

• Haha 2