Unit refuses to hold elections

1) The Order of the Arrow is meant to be: A) a recognition of the quality of a Scout's skill in camping B) care of his/her fellow Scouts C) a means for the more experienced Scout to work with and socialize with other Scouts D) help example the idea of "cheerful service" to others, without thought of personal recognition. Except sweat and dirt, perhaps.  Popularity contest?  In some respects. What leads to that popularity? 

2) Was it possible that some few  adult leaders responsible for oversight of OA activities  might be guilty of sexual abuse of the Scouts?  Yes, possible.

3) If and when the National BSA became aware of such abuse, what did the NBSA do about it?   What , if anything, did the local Council do about it?   What, if anything, did the sponsoring CO do about it?  Promote criminal prosecution or merely try to deny the "alleged" perpetrator further membership in the BSA?  There is plenty of  lax responsibility to share .  The rugs under which to sweep such have been eliminated . 

4)  It is unfortunate that some COs (Methodist Church comes to immediate mind) seek elimination of possible liability by cutting off the Unit Charter now.  Such will not eliminate their alleged responsibility back in 1989.  If a UMC Deacon was found guilty of child abuse in 1989, that church back in 1989  has that responsibility , not the UMC today.... Any abuse back then cannot be disavowed by cutting the contract today.   But the liability  NOT accepted by BSA on behalf of the COs   is what's leading to this  abandoning of the ship.  Or rather the ship's abandoning of it's passengers? 

5) Any word on the rumor of a "new"  settlement condition offer that might  ameliorate the UMC disaffection? 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I recall my days in OA, the Scoutmaster begins the process by developing a list of scouts who are qualified for election, based on rank, # of nights camped, and last but not least, "Scout Spirit". 

Let me preface my comments by saying that as a youth, I was a Brotherhood member of the OA, and in my senior year was simultaneously SPL of my troop and editor of the Lodge newsletter, so I know from

My problem with OA today is that the program drivers (adult sponsors) don't plan a program where the activities practice growth toward the honor of serving others and camping. As a scout in the 70's,

Posted Images

Okay everyone, I asked nicely before.  If this thread continues to be bankruptcy part 5b - the OA, then maybe it's time to lock it as it's nothing that hasn't been hashed out elsewhere.

If you want to talk about CSA in the OA, then go ahead. If it's not specific to the OA and why you won't participate in the OA, then please take the conversation to one of the hundreds of pages that have already covered it.

• Thanks 1
On 9/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, David CO said:

People sometimes just argue for what they want, and ignore the CO's need to have broader, more consistent policies that cover multiple programs and a variety of activities.

The OA is not a unit activity. Not at all. So, it has nothing to do with the CO. 

3 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

The OA is not a unit activity. Not at all. 

I totally agree.  OA is not a unit activity.  Not at all.

3 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

So, it has nothing to do with the CO. 

Except when the CO needs to clarify its position that OA is not a unit activity. 

On 9/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, MattR said:

Getting back to the OP, my experience with the OA has been fairly neutral. It has helped a few scouts but most don't get much out of it. Unfortunately, it has become nothing but cheap labor for the camps and AOL ceremonies.

That said, I like the idea of a place for scouts to up their game and, more importantly,  bring that back to their troops. Done right that might really help smaller units and complement nylt.

I think you get out of the OA what you put into it, like most things in life.  If you view it as a chance to get a new patch for your uniform, then that's what it will be - a harder version of eBay.  If you view it as a vehicle for networking with Scouts from other troops, you're likely to get more.  If you take the time to sit down with the ceremonial texts, read them, and think about them, you'll understand that the organization is about servant leadership.  As a youth, my chapter was small in number and large in geography.  It wasn't super active simply because most of us didn't have transportation, and we were spread out across 4 countries.  As an adult, my chapter covers about half a small city.  We meet monthly.  I don't know that our lodge is going about things the right way, especially when it comes to improving camping skills and whatnot.  There are some things that probably need to be modified.  Our Fall Fellowship was so packed with overlapping events that none were very effective.  I'm relatively new to the organization, so I don't want to be the guy that walks in and starts upsetting things.  I'm going to note my observations and make recommendations, and see where that goes.

• Upvote 1
On 9/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, MattR said:

@Oldscout448, I'm happy for you. It sounds like you had a great experience in the OA and it must have been a well run lodge. 

I wish more were run like that and more people would volunteer. That just doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.

I guess that's why I'm still hanging around trying to help out with the ceremonies six years after my youngest scoutson headed off to college.  I'm going to have to step back a bit next year. I'm just not physically capable of getting by on 4-5 hours of sleep after a day spent in arduous labor.  

"That's just the cold hard truth."