Unit refuses to hold elections

40 minutes ago, Rock Doc said:

It's not an unsupervised drop-off activity.

I think that is a very good idea.  CO's should be supervising and safeguarding their unit's scouts at all scouting activities.

Edited by David CO
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I recall my days in OA, the Scoutmaster begins the process by developing a list of scouts who are qualified for election, based on rank, # of nights camped, and last but not least, "Scout Spirit". 

Let me preface my comments by saying that as a youth, I was a Brotherhood member of the OA, and in my senior year was simultaneously SPL of my troop and editor of the Lodge newsletter, so I know from

i have seen worse. I have seen Elangomats talk, eat and drink both in front of candidates and away from candidates, sleep under tarps, and sleep back in camp away from the candidates. I was taught an

Posted Images

The OA leaders in my area fiercely opposed any interference from the unit leadership and CO's.  Once the boys were elected into OA, their activities were totally outside of our control.  Our only recourse was to not hold OA elections.

Edited by David CO
  • Downvote 1
25 minutes ago, Rock Doc said:

Can't speak for all Lodges, but in our Lodge scouts attending OA events must still be supervised by an adult OA member from their home unit, or a trusted OA adult member approved by the home unit. 

How many units are in a Lodge?  

2 hours ago, MattR said:

A lodge covers a council. Or at least it used to.

Still does. Even firmer language not super long ago stipulated that only one lodge is chartered per council. So if a council merged, so do the lodges. 

6 hours ago, David CO said:

I think that is a very good idea.  CO's should be supervising and safeguarding their unit's scouts at all scouting activities.

Alas my friend, I greatly fear we're going to butt heads here.  I just cringe at the thought of Father O'Kelly " supervising" an Ordeal.  Or even worse  "safeguarding" a Vigil ceremony!  It might be interesting to see who on the CO's staff gets  tagged to go supervising on a 60 mile hike. Or it's probably more likely that such strenuous events would be cancelled outright.  The scouts are supposed to be growing into adults, they need some room to do that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, David CO said:

That is exactly my point.  OA is not a unit activity.  OA should not be involving the unit in their elections.  

Confused by this. So  if unit elections are out, how does a scout get into the Order?  

• Like 1

The elections are a unit activity as they are done at the unit level. Just as a den chief may be elected by the unit to help a den in a different unit. The activities the elected scout participates in may or may not be unit activities.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, David CO said:

That is exactly my point.  OA is not a unit activity.  OA should not be involving the unit in their elections.  

The CO doesn’t follow Scouts everywhere the go, nor are they responsible for them everywhere is unfounded.  To think they should is crazy and very controlling. NYLT, provisional troops at camp, provisional troops at Philmont, Jamboree, Mom and Scout, Camp Staff, and the OA. The CO has no authority, responsibility, or influence on these non unit Scout activities. 

Edited by mrjohns2
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Confused by this. So  if unit elections are out, how does a scout get into the Order?  

It is none of my business how OA chooses to elect its members so long as they leave my unit out of it.