AOL Scouting Adventure - Scout Rank

On 6/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, qwazse said:

One more thought ... maybe have an adult skills challenge. Put up a wall chart of requirements for you all. That way the scouts know that you are trying to learn this stuff too -- and they aren't even getting a patch for it. Include the BSA-required trainings as well. I was surprised how much it meant to some of the boys that we went through Scoutmaster training (of course, that came with a patch).

Have your SM and ASM(s) signed up for Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills? That's a challenge for most of us to fit in our busy schedules. So, getting them to commit to it is important.

As you've experienced, Wood Badge isn't for everyone. But, keep an open mind and clear any road blocks hindering the SM attending within a year or two.

I absolutely love that idea.  Adults are their own patrol.  Separate from youth scouts.  If they want to be at camp, they should do similar activities.  Learn skills etc.  Idle adults and untrained / unskilled adults are often the bane of scouting.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crossovers individually demonstrate their skills to the Troop Guide, Instructor, or Patrol Leader. AOL are treated with the same regard as other new scouts.

We do and we don't. The unit is advancement focused. It's youth led, but with adult expectations that the boys internalize.  The scouts prepare hard prior to crossover. Then there is a standard camp o

Does your troop have a strong youth-led ethos? My experience has been that given the opportunity a youth-led PLC will shy away from the proscriptive approach and generally try to keep things fun with

On 6/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, mrjohns2 said:

This is why my feelings are still mixed on Summer Camp First Year Programs. It is very unnatural vs. a year of campouts and most items will be done. There might be some minor requirements to cover, but for the most part, nearly all would be covered in a good program. 

I like the idea of having first year programs available, but not required.  Perhaps the camp should publish a skills training calendar for their woodcraft area.  Monday night KNOTS.  Tuesday night LASHINGs.  Wednesday SWIMMING.  Thursday FIRST AID.   Have a sign-up sheet with a max number to know how many staff are needed or if troop adults need to step up too.   

Scoutmaster could get a report of who attended which skill ... if necessary.  Really, the scout demonstrating is the big thing.  

4 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Forgot to add, in my experience, if you focus on fun and adventure, the Scouts stick around a lot longer. Advancement may be slower, but they tend to stick around even after making Eagle. 

I hugely agree.  

I do think troops should help the scouts earn SCOUT really quick.  A scout should  never been in a troop for a year without earning SCOUT rank.   First or second meeting is great.  A month or two fine.  ... It should be simple and if the scout has missing parts, it's easy to fill in.  

I agree the key should be "opportunities" to advance, but the program should be fun and adventure oriented.  Let the kid do new things.  AND, if that means sitting in a hammock for an afternoon, fine.  For many, that's a new experience.  

• Upvote 1