BSA NAM 2021 Annual Business Mtg

37 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

No systemic changes just cosmetic changes?

That's the impression they are giving off: this is about marketing, rebranding. During the recruitment portion a lot of emphasis was placed on making people who were not even aware of Scouting, or knew that Scouting was in their area, aware.

Any "systemic" changes would have had to have been approved by the Board. NONE were and the several that were proposed (especially plans to restructure the board, etc.) were shelved pending a survey to all Council Key-3 and emergence from bankruptcy.

That means bylaws changes (such as nuking Sea Scouts, etc.) are off the table for 2021.

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Charter_Bylaws_Sept20.pdf

Folks need to realize there's a reason I referred to this as a hostage video without the warmth. EVERY WORD (with the possible exception of the female Eagle Scout representing the inaugural class) was without a doubt reviewed, re-reviewed, and processed by legal counsel for BSA and the bankruptcy attorneys.

NO big changes of ANY kind were going to be announced or take place at this point. Even the current Board, for legal reasons, was kept in place.

They are not going to breath a word until a) they know exactly what they have left and b) in-house counsel and the bankruptcy attorneys tell them it is OK to speak.

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, sharper, enthused, younger people heading an outdoor youth organization would haven take their 4G/5G laptop/phone outdoors for their report. Their audio and video likely would have been in sync too. As to content, well it resembled a performance review prefaced by a BTW we cannot be fired. :unsure:

It was pretty awful. I kept waiting for the cat face filter to pop up.  

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, yknot said:

It was pretty awful. I kept waiting for the cat face filter to pop up.  

I've started and stopped writing my thoughts several times.  I do think our leaders love the movement, but I don't think they are the best face for scouting right now.  

You can be older and active.  You can be larger and active.  But the key is active.  If you are running our scouting organization, you should be outdoors and active.  I rarely see our leaders, out in the field, camping, hiking, canoeing, etc.  I would love to see much more social media presence from our individual leaders, highlights scouts, highlighting their own personal adventures that could be attributed to scouting, perhaps some amazing leadership or something.

I rarely if ever see them.  I didn't know 2 of the key 3 without searching.  Nothing.  No weekly podcast.  No twitter.  No anything.  Where are they?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I rarely if ever see them.  I didn't know 2 of the key 3 without searching.  Nothing.  No weekly podcast.  No twitter.  No anything.  Where are they? 

Keep in mind that this entire NAM process was directed at council-and-above level leaders. It was not exactly advertised or promoted to unit leaders or scouts.

There are numerous young people/faces in the Facebook side of BSA and the #trekat2 series. But the person who should be the "Face" of scouting and the person leading scouting don't have to be the same.

Scouts UK and Bear Grylis was like hitting a gold mine: someone young (youngest ever at 34) Chief Scout, became synonymous with outdoor adventure. Etc. He's the exception here.

Take a look and listen to the video/read the transcript. They acknowledge at least 5 times that they are NOT the faces who should be leading BSA into the future. There were two entire Fireside chats (Women in Leadership and Governance) where the participants acknowledge that it was too often pale, male, and stale as one person put it.

But here's the problem: old white guys are the ones in charge for now and at least until the end of the bankruptcy are not going anywhere. That said, they are at least mouthing the right words (actions to be determined) to get younger, more diverse leaders into position for down the road.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

What does "adequate compensation" equate to you?

Can I suggest this be asked in the Bankruptcy or other thread? You deserve an answer, but I know the mods like to keep certain questions in certain lanes.

Edited by CynicalScouter
58 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I've started and stopped writing my thoughts several times.  I do think our leaders love the movement, but I don't think they are the best face for scouting right now.  

You can be older and active.  You can be larger and active.  But the key is active.  If you are running our scouting organization, you should be outdoors and active.  I rarely see our leaders, out in the field, camping, hiking, canoeing, etc.  I would love to see much more social media presence from our individual leaders, highlights scouts, highlighting their own personal adventures that could be attributed to scouting, perhaps some amazing leadership or something.

I completely agree and have made many similar comments over the years. There is no defense for near zero communication from top leadership.  All good leaders communicate. We needed a general but have gotten what feels like a car pool driver. A nice bland guy who will move us down the road instead of leading the way.