Jump to content

Michigan AG Investigating Abuse Claims in BSA


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

From a friend of mine. (Sorry for the large font!) ;) 

“Whoa! This is new and significant...”

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359--560927--,00.html

The PA Attorney General's office did a something similar for the Catholic Church/Dioceses in PA. The grand jury report that came out was nothing short of horrifying.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/report/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_jury_investigation_of_Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_in_Pennsylvania

In answer to the inevitable question: no, no one got arrested in PA as a result. No one got indicted either.

But this potentially makes the Michigan AG an interested party to the bankruptcy, especially if the TCC asks for the IV files (at least as to Michigan) to be released.

It's one thing for BSA to fight tooth and claw to prevent discovery in a civil proceeding. It is quite another to try and fight an AG subpoena.

Edited by CynicalScouter
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Muttsy said:

This is a big whoa!

Let’s hope it spreads to other states quickly. 

I guess my question is that past a certain point if BSA as an entity is found criminally liable for the abuse and is forced to pay criminal fines if that is just going to put it right out of business. To my knowledge (as in applies to people) criminal fines are NOT  dischargeable in bankruptcy via Chapter 7 or 13, meaning BSA could be fined right out of existence.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Muttsy said:

This is a big whoa!

Let’s hope it spreads to other states quickly. 

My friend is not an attorney, but his profession is to watch major business-related machinations with hawk eyes. He's deep into the BSA case from all angles. I'll ask what he thinks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Michigan Crossroads council was the second largest council in the nation. If I recall, it is a merger of several Michigan councils a few years ago. I think that the number one council in size was  Utah National Parks and the third largest was  Great Salt lake Council, both of those two are in heavily LDS areas. I suspect that the Michigan Crossroads Council is probably now the largest council in America, probably by several thousand Scouts. 

Just because of sheer membership numbers, it would not be unexpected that they would have  a large number of claims. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, gpurlee said:

Just because of sheer membership numbers, it would not be unexpected that they would have  a large number of claims. 

I understand that statistically, but I doubt the AG has that data. It is more the impression of the thing, than the substance I was noting. Just wondering out loud. If the XYZ family has the most absentee days on the school roster on the hallway bulletin board, unless you know they're Irish Catholic farmers with 15 kids it looks dicey.

Btw, I'm Irish Catholic from farm country so I can say that.

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ThenNow said:

I wonder if seeing Michigan Crossroads at the top of the LC list for most claims caught their attention or if this has been long bubblin' in the percolator. 

They did the same with the Catholic Church.   I expect they will start with search warrants soon.  You will see pictures of agents going into all scout offices and pulling files out. 
 

The good news is that I expect leaders and anyone who covered it up to be charged and probably go to prison.   Michigan charged a priest for assaults dating back to the 1970s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

They did the same with the Catholic Church.   I expect they will start with search warrants soon.  You will see pictures of agents going into all scout offices and pulling files out. 
 

The good news is that I expect leaders and anyone who covered it up to be charged and probably go to prison.   Michigan charged a priest for assaults dating back to the 1970s.

Since I'm not familiar with the other cases or the Michigan AG's motive and politics, I'm very curious how/why this is happening in this time and space. From my experience in other businesses and top level insurance brokerage through my wife, these are often political animals looking for a crusade to win. I'd love the backstory, if anyone has insight. I recognize this could be a 100% justice motivated and that would be great. I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm glad it's being done, yet curious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Since I'm not familiar with the other cases or the Michigan AG's motive and politics, I'm very curious how/why this is happening in this time and space. From my experience in other businesses and top level insurance brokerage through my wife, these are often political animals looking for a crusade to win. I'd love the backstory, if anyone has insight. I recognize this could be a 100% justice motivated and that would be great. I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm glad it's being done, yet curious.

I have to believe MSU and Nasser come to mind.  They cannot be caught flat footed again.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I have to believe MSU and Nasser come to mind.  They cannot be caught flat footed again.

This is the basis given in the press release. Do you know the reference or is it the bankruptcy?

"...to obtain information surrounding sex abuse allegations that came to light during recent civil litigation"

Edited by ThenNow
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

This is the basis given in the press release. Do you know the reference or is it the bankruptcy?

"...to obtain information surrounding sex abuse allegations that came to light during recent civil litigation"

Yup. This is the case:

"The investigation was prompted by wide reports of alleged abuse that came to light during the national nonprofit's bankruptcy case, Attorney General Dana Nessel said in a video released by her office."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/news/michigan-ag-state-police-launch-joint-investigation-boy-scouts

 

 

Edited by ThenNow
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

They did the same with the Catholic Church.   I expect they will start with search warrants soon.  You will see pictures of agents going into all scout offices and pulling files out. 

Who is the lead dog in MI BSA and who will be the front line on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

Who is the lead dog in MI BSA and who will be the front line on this?

Michigan Crossroads. When asked for comment, they shut right up and deferred to BSA National.

Every indication is that they (BSA) are playing this off as if the target(s) is/are the ABUSERS, not BSA as a corporate entity.

I think some people are deluding themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...