My son is in the final steps of paperwork for Eagle rank.  He has been a Cub scout, Troop scout, and is currently a Sea Scout and a Venturer.  He has been lucky to go to Sea Base, Philmont in winter (and Summer this year), and World Jamboree among a ton of other scout activities.  

So I was thinking of donating $1000 in his name for the James E West endowment in our council as something to give back to scouting for others to be able to get similar experiences.  Question is, does this go in his name for the award?  I was thinking that I can complete it and present it to him at his Eagle Court of Honor.  Any thoughts?  And this is in addition to my standard Friends of Scouting contribution, so I am not removing that part of my yearly donation.

• Upvote 1

Our local OA Lodge does this every year, and presents a James E. West award in the name of a member selected by the general lodge membership at the same time that new officers are elected.

6 hours ago, mashmaster said:

So I was thinking of donating $1000 in his name for the James E West endowment in our council as something to give back to scouting for others to be able to get similar experiences.  Question is, does this go in his name for the award?  

Yes you can make a donation in his name. We had one gentleman who did not want to be recognized for his very generous donation. Instead, every single Eagle Scout the year he donated the money, plus the non-professional office staff ( registrar, bookkeeper, scout shop clerk, and office manager) became West Fellows.

52 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

Has it been decided that Endowment Funds will not be seized by the bankruptcy court?  

That is a good question. My understanding is that the endowments are restricted funds, and cannot be touched. Only the interest earned can be touched. But I also remember BSA stating they would protect Charter Organizations in lawsuits too, and we see how that is going with the Toggle Plan proposal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1