YMCA President discusses summer camps and service programs during pandemic

Agree. Most importantly, he appears to have provided commonsense leadership that allowed what seems like a very similar kind of organization to pivot and remain relevant and active through the pandemic. YMCA seems very well positioned to have a successful summer meeting its mission -- which is serving kids. Somebody like this at the helm could help BSA post bankruptcy. Promoting scouters from within is overrated in my opinion.

7 hours ago, yknot said:

... Somebody like this at the helm could help BSA post bankruptcy. Promoting scouters from within is overrated in my opinion.

I’m not sure what you mean. Mr. Washington is a career man. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ymca-of-the-usa-president-and-ceo-kevin-washington-to-retire-after-43-years-of-service-301186198.html

Washington's professional career with the Y spans more than four decades. He joined Y-USA following five years as President and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Boston. He previously was the President and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Hartford for 10 years, Chief Operating Officer for the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago for six years and held other executive roles with the Chicago YMCA and the Greater Philadelphia YMCA. 

BSA currently have a CEO (as opposed to chief scout executive) who was recruited, not promoted. I suspect that it recruited Mosby specifically for the purpose of presiding in the face of multiple legal actions. BSA tends to cycle between “inside” vs. “outside” guys at the top. It seems they agree with you.

Edited by qwazse

I cannot remember the last time a present or former BSA president/CSE/CEO spoke directly about our program on network TV or to us for that matter.

Years ago, I think Gates mentioned BSA at the end of an interview focused on the Department of State and  foreign affairs.

3 hours ago, qwazse said:

BSA currently have a CEO (as opposed to chief scout executive) who was recruited, not promoted.

I saw a run down of the NAM. I guess he was finally commissioned and is now, also, the CSE. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, qwazse said:

I’m not sure what you mean. Mr. Washington is a career man. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ymca-of-the-usa-president-and-ceo-kevin-washington-to-retire-after-43-years-of-service-301186198.html

BSA currently have a CEO (as opposed to chief scout executive) who was recruited, not promoted. I suspect that it recruited Mosby specifically for the purpose of presiding in the face of multiple legal actions. BSA tends to cycle between “inside” vs. “outside” guys at the top. It seems they agree with you.

I meant what I said -- promoting from within hasn't produced great leaders for us. YMCA, on the other hand, whether he came from within or without, seems to have a good leader. YMCA has weathered its share of controversies over the years but seems better positioned than ever before. Can't say the same for BSA. 

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

I cannot remember the last time a present or former BSA president/CSE/CEO spoke directly about our program on network TV or to us for that matter.

Years ago, I think Gates mentioned BSA at the end of an interview focused on the Department of State and  foreign affairs.

I can't think of a single media occasion either in all the years I've been involved even going back well before pre bankruptcy days. Only time I remember to the membership was Surbaugh asking us to fill out surveys about opening up to girls and how whatever was decided would be implemented gradually. Then about three days later it was announced as already happening lol. 

1 hour ago, yknot said:

I meant what I said -- promoting from within hasn't produced great leaders for us. YMCA, on the other hand, whether he came from within or without, seems to have a good leader. YMCA has weathered its share of controversies over the years but seems better positioned than ever before. Can't say the same for BSA. 

Maybe for BSA version 2.0 forget the PR firm and seek leadership help, i.e., a new leadership team and Executive Board from an experienced, successful youth organization as William Boyce did in 1910.

During the years 1908 and 1909, Scout troops were starting almost spontaneously in locations across the United States, before the BSA existed, but following the publication of Scouting for Boys by Sir Robert Baden-Powell. A handful of YMCA centers were hosting troops, so Edgar Robinson, a Chicago-area YMCA administrator, had an interest in helping the BSA get off the ground so that his organization and others would have American-based resources for troop leaders.

In April 1910, Edgar Robinson persuaded William D. Boyce to appoint him managing director of the BSA for a limited time period, during which time Robinson secured a number of leading citizens to join together to form the Executive Board of the BSA.  He then relinquished his role in BSA affairs, with the executive role eventually going to the newly recruited James E. West.[3]

Robinson was recognized for his work in establishing the BSA with the Silver Buffalo Award in 1926.

Robinson remained "the preeminent figure in YMCA boys' work until his retirement in 1927."[4] In 2000 he was inducted into the YMCA Hall of Fame at Springfield College.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_M._Robinson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

No BSA President ever seems to speak, or be the driver for the program.  Same at the Council level.  Overall BSA Marketing is non-existent.  The very few efforts seem to be aimed at I am not sure.  They are not trying to excite young people to join, they do not seemed to be aimed at parents to entice to get their kids involved.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

I think it is important to note that BSA National is distinct from local councils. It’s been a pretty firm belief for quite some time now that the leaders of local councils are the media facing side of the organization. Some leaders do that better than others.

Even more significant, we are very interested in youth leaders being the face of the organization. You may have noticed that many of the talking heads when we opened Cub and Scout programs to girls were girls themselves.

In spite of a few flourishes there’s been a lot of P-R chaos. Expect that to continue.