Anyone meet in the summer?

Our Pack does not meet regularly during the summer. It is too difficult to schedule regular meetings with family vacations and other summer plans. But we do plan a monthly activity to keep kids engaged: a hike, swimming, something. We are thinking of holding our yearly planning meeting at a park, to boost attendance and have something to keep kids engaged. 

Monthly activities are a start but maintaining the 'habit' of regular participation is very valuable. My sons pack ran a full program 12 months of the year. Yes, some families missed a den/pack meeting/activity now and then but families don't generally go away for 12 weeks or more. As a result, we didn't drop members and in fact we gained members by being active. 

Regarding program planning, we had the key leaders put together a 12 month program and present it to all the families for approval. Because we had multiple den/pack events each month every cub earned the pack summertime award. If they were out of town for one event they were generally back for the next. An active pack is a healthy and happy pack. 

Be sure to engage your parents and be welcoming to the whole family. KISMIF

Our pack generally takes a break during the summer. There was nothing on last year's calendar between mid-June and late August. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact on enrollment. We have about 90 kids year after year, and often have to refer some prospective families to other packs in the area because any larger would be unmanageable. 

1 hour ago, seattlecyclone said:

Our pack generally takes a break during the summer. There was nothing on last year's calendar between mid-June and late August. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact on enrollment. We have about 90 kids year after year, and often have to refer some prospective families to other packs in the area because any larger would be unmanageable. 

My question would be how well do you retain cubs? My son's pack had basically 100% retention from Tigers (pre lions) to crossover. We only dropped families that physically moved from the area. Most packs membership is pyramid shaped with a lot of k and 1's a bit fewer grade 2 & 3 and fewer still at 4 & 5. I would consider 80% retention a decent job and 90%+ excellent. Maintaining size by recruiting a number each year to replace drops is like trying to fill up a bucket full of holes. Unless the new recruits are offsetting the crossovers there may be a quality issue which would include not having a summer program. Why give up the best months of the year for outdoor program and activities? 

7 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

My question would be how well do you retain cubs? My son's pack had basically 100% retention from Tigers (pre lions) to crossover. We only dropped families that physically moved from the area. Most packs membership is pyramid shaped with a lot of k and 1's a bit fewer grade 2 & 3 and fewer still at 4 & 5. I would consider 80% retention a decent job and 90%+ excellent. Maintaining size by recruiting a number each year to replace drops is like trying to fill up a bucket full of holes. Unless the new recruits are offsetting the crossovers there may be a quality issue which would include not having a summer program. Why give up the best months of the year for outdoor program and activities? 

I don't have retention statistics at hand. I get the sense it's quite high though. Our membership pyramid is a bit different than "most," I guess. We have no Lions, one Tiger den, and two dens of each other grade. First year Webelos are the most numerous age in the pack this year, with Bears and second-year Webelos right behind. Some kids join in first grade, recruit some friends to join them for second, and generally stick around through the rest of the program.

5 hours ago, seattlecyclone said:

I don't have retention statistics at hand. I get the sense it's quite high though. Our membership pyramid is a bit different than "most," I guess. We have no Lions, one Tiger den, and two dens of each other grade. First year Webelos are the most numerous age in the pack this year, with Bears and second-year Webelos right behind. Some kids join in first grade, recruit some friends to join them for second, and generally stick around through the rest of the program.

Sounds good... our pack tended to gain at the higher grades as friends of our Cubs would join so it wasn't unusual to have as many or more Webelos and AOL's than Tigers or Wolves. At one point we split off a 30+ pack at a neighboring church. The pack still grew to over 100 cubs when we had to move on. Strong program that grew with the Cubs and keeping in the habit of program over the summer were two great keys. There were others like 100% Boy's (now Scout) Life and a mini 'High Adventure' for the AOL's in the spring.