Anyone meet in the summer?

I just found out that our pack doesn't meet in the summer.  I'm not sure why.  Seems like a great way to lose members.  I seem to remember Scouting being a year-round activity.  We've overcome so much sluggishness to start building the pack, and then we're going to waste it?

• Like 1

The pack my family was with  went year round, but we did only 2 meetings/month plus Cub Scout Day Camp. Pack I grew up in was only during the school year.

Now every troop I have been involved with has met year round. Summer usually had some extra time since we had light longer and we didn't have school. When I moved to NC, I met my first troop that only met during the school year, except for summer camp, and it blew my mind. From reading posts here and elsewhere, there are a lot of troop that do not meet during the summer.

A large percentage of packs base there program year on the school year.

Many have a few events during the summer, so scouts can earn the summertime pack award.

As long as my cubs and families want to continue meeting, we will continue to meet during the summer.

12 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I just found out that our pack doesn't meet in the summer.  I'm not sure why.  Seems like a great way to lose members.  I seem to remember Scouting being a year-round activity.  We've overcome so much sluggishness to start building the pack, and then we're going to waste it?

11 hours ago, Armymutt said:

That's the thing.  There's so much light, it's perfect for meeting.  We meet in the dead of winter when it's dark before we arrive.  Why not enjoy the sunshine?

All your observations are spot on!  (and no school!) Run your program during the summer.  Have a blast!

Our pack tries to meet weekly during the off school weeks, starting in June. It helps the cubs get ahead on their adventures. I suppose it depends on how active the leadership wants to be.

Normally I'm of the opinion that scouts could do summer camp but otherwise get a break from scouting in the summer. The scouting trail can be long, no need to burn everyone out early. Take a couple of months off.

However I'm making an exception this year because I'm DL for a Webelos den and covid set us back a bit on advancement and getting ready to cross over to a troop next year, so we'll be keeping things going this summer.

A more recent thought I've had, actually has been to ease off den meetings in May and June because my town is big on baseball and it's really difficult to get good attendance at scout meetings/activities. I'd rather slow things down in May and June and then pick back up in July. Not sure I'll ever actually do that, just a thought I've had recently.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:25 AM, AMRC18 said:

Our pack tries to meet weekly during the off school weeks, starting in June. It helps the cubs get ahead on their adventures. I suppose it depends on how active the leadership wants to be.

How often do you meet in the school year?

IMHO, units should continue a program in the Summer but they should adapt to different types of activities that make sense for the units.  

For example, our ship during the summer adds Wet Wednesday sailing evenings.  An occasional pool party.  Things like that keep it fresh

I just had a Den Meeting two days ago. :)

Yes, you should meet during the summer.  For June... most of our Scouts are attending Council Day Camp or Resident Camp.  In July we will have other activites planned.  By the time August comes around we will have a community event or two planned as recruiting opportunities.  

Only thing I can say is I wouldnt get too deep into requirements, at least in Cub Scouts.  If you get a lot of new Scouts when school starts you will be repeating.  Just have things fun to do over the Summer that keeps them involved.

• 11 months later...

FAMILIES PAY FOR A 12 MONTH PROGRAM 

I am a firm believer in the 12 months of program for both Cubs and Scouts. I rebuilt the pack by sons were in back in the late 80's and we had all the sports to compete with along with nintendo and atari games and we had the single parent issues but we built a great 12 month program and instilled the habit of participation. We didn't shut down from May through September like many packs and the result was nearly 100% retention (except for a family here and there that moved out of the area). It was great. Dens met both indoors and outdoors and did field trips regularly, the pack had outdoor pack meetings at camp and in parks and we played games and took hikes. Every member earned the summertime activity award because if they missed on thing there were other things happening each month. The pack grew from 6 families to over 50 in two years and then spun a 30 member pack off the next year. Great programs shouldn't stop for months and great programs keep interest and participation. District and council events were icing on the cake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 8 months later...

We do 2 all pack  activities in July and August along with a week of resident camp for Webelos/AOL.  

usually it’s a minor league baseball game, parents v kids kickball game, rocketry day, hikes, and conservation projects  - it’s less about advancement and more about fellowship and keeping them connected to the pack structure and they’re encouraged to bring a non scouting friend to all events  

Sounds good... my sons den and pack met through the summer. The dens did work on advancement (those items best done outdoors and in the summer) and the dens did field trips to places that a whole pack couldn't go. Our den toured the ground radar control at the airport and got to sit in a passenger plane including visiting the cockpit, they made their own pan pizzas at a local pizza shop and did a lot of other 'stuff'. The pack had a graduation ceremony in June and everyone moved up to the next level. Monthly pack meetings were at parks and one at the council camp. We did nature hikes (creek walk), played whiffle ball  and other games, had pack picnics as part of the outdoor Pack meetings and marched in the Memorial Day and July 4th parades after which the pack treated to hot dogs and sodas. The new Arrow of Light den did a father n son (pre girls in the program) trip to Gettysburg where they earned the trail awards which were presented at the June pack meeting. With multiple events through the summer, every cub got to earn the Summertime Award pin. There was no 'coming back in the fall' because no one ever left. It was the strongest pack in the district. We also had most of the families take advantage of the Day Camp and resident camp that the council provided. 

One summer we did Cubmobiles races. Along with the other activities during a pack summer camp, each den had to assemble and paint their Cub mobile. They got to race them the last day of the week. The pack raced those cubmobiles for the next 15 years. The DE was so impressed with them that he asked our pack help him plan and run a district Cubmobile race. The district planned a district race each spring for 10 years. Google Cubmobiles to get an idea of their fun.

Barry