Almost 20 Cub Scout Adventures getting eliminated, almost all STEM based

https://scoutingwire.org/keeping-the-cub-scout-adventure-program-relevant-for-todays-families/

May 11, 2021

Every year, Cub Scout Adventures are reviewed to identify trends and determine interests of our youth, den leaders and Cub Scout families. In our ongoing efforts to keep the Cub Scouting Adventure program relevant to today’s families, Cub Scout elective Adventures are reviewed for both content and popularity. The most recent review has identified 19 elective Adventures that do not meet the standards of youth and den leader engagement, with the lowermost being earned by less than 3% of eligible youth. They will be retired effective May 31, 2022. The retiring of these adventures allows Cub Scouting to be more agile as the BSA makes continuous improvements to the program.

Some families may want one last chance to earn these Adventures, and some den leaders may have already made plans for the upcoming program year.  To help with that transition, these Adventures will be available until the end of the 2021-2022 program year.

The affected elective Adventures, which will be retired effective May 31, 2022, are as follows:

• Family Stories, Rank: Tiger, SKU: 619922
  • Earning Your Stripes, Rank: Tiger, SKU: 619925
  • Tiger Tales, Rank: Tiger, SKU: 619930
  • Tiger Theater, Rank: Tiger, SKU: 619931
  • Collections and Hobbies, Rank: Wolf, SKU: 619940
  • Grow Something, Rank: Wolf, SKU: 619944
  • Hometown Heroes, Rank: Wolf, SKU: 619947
  • Motor Away, Rank: Wolf, SKU: 619950
  • Beat of the Drum, Rank: Bear, SKU: 619958
  • World of Sound, Rank: Bear, SKU: 619960
  • Make it Move, Rank: Bear, SKU: 619963
  • Robotics, Rank: Bear, SKU: 619968
  • Looking Back Looking Forward, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619978
  • Maestro, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619979
  • Project Family, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619997
  • Build My Hero, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619992
  • Adventures in Science, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619989
  • Fix It, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619975
  • Movie Making, Rank: Webelos/AOL, SKU: 619982

The listed elective Adventures are still part of the Cub Scouting program until May 31, 2022. After that date, these Adventures will be retired, and the Adventure loops and pins will no longer be available. Earned Adventures will be archived in Scoutbook and Internet Advancement. The Adventure will appear as earned but will no longer be able to be marked as completed after May 31, 2022.

• Upvote 1

Technically that is not an official adventure, but rather a "preview adventure" though I find that nomenclature, like that particular adventure itself, superfluous and irrelevant to Scouting. Unlike the Protect Yourself Rules adventure, which I strongly feel needs to become a required adventure at all levels immediately. 

5 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

Unlike the Protect Yourself Rules adventure, which I strongly feel needs to become a required adventure at all levels immediately. 

I would agree, as Protect Yourself Rules is much better for Cubs at all levels than Cybver Chip.  Although I will not be surprised if it does not last much longer.  As advancement chair for our Pack, I have not been able to get the Webelos pin for it all year, and was told by the manager at our Scout Shop that it will not be restocked.

I am also very disturbed that all of the family/family history/community connection adventures are being retired. Family Stories, Earning Your Stripes, Tiger Tales, Hometown Heroes, Beat of the Drum, Looking Back Looking Forward, Project Family, Build My Hero - most of the adventures we are losing are not STEM related, but those that connect us to our families, our communities and our history. Honestly I was always surprised that none of these adventures were required, and now to find that they are all being retired - the more I consider it, the more troubling I find it. 

• Upvote 1
On 5/13/2021 at 7:07 AM, qwazse said:

Are you kidding me?

Gravity, angular momentum, and slip knots!

Yo-yo = scouting + STEM encapsulated in a toy.

Not kidding. :)  Back when we could actually do school talks and other in person recruiting.  The "ooohhhs" and "aaahhhhs" came from talk about archery, BBs, fishing, camping.  The outdoor stuff sells Cub Scouts.  A yoyo thing might be something to consider if its raining and can't do anything outside, but aside from that its useless.  

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, CynicalScouter said:

The Cubs program is in absolute freefall. For the first time since 1955 there are more Scouts, BSA than Cubs.

I am not the least bit surprised.

I came here to get some honest opinions on the new Cub program, because what I was reading on scoutmaster.org seemed...odd.  My eldest was a Cub and is now an Eagle, but my youngest is getting ready to join the program as a Lion this fall.  I was the Den Leader for all 5 years for my eldest, and he'd crossed over before the program changed.  But from what I've read so far, I can believe this is true.  My son got bored 13 years ago.  We'll probably attend a few Den meetings and such but I'm wondering if he should just wait until Webelos or Scouts to start, rather than having him bored.

1 minute ago, LaraG03 said:

I came here to get some honest opinions on the new Cub program, because what I was reading on scoutmaster.org seemed...odd.  My eldest was a Cub and is now an Eagle, but my youngest is getting ready to join the program as a Lion this fall.  I was the Den Leader for all 5 years for my eldest, and he'd crossed over before the program changed.  But from what I've read so far, I can believe this is true.  My son got bored 13 years ago.  We'll probably attend a few Den meetings and such but I'm wondering if he should just wait until Webelos or Scouts to start, rather than having him bored.

This depends in large part upon the Den Leaders and Cubmaster.  I know that when my son was a cub 6-7 years ago, he wasn't bored generally.  Some of the Den meetings were a little boring when it was the "talk about it" style, but as long as many of the meetings involve going to do something they stay pretty engaged.  The biggest issue is when Cubmasters start doing "parent" announcements and discussions at Pack Meetings while the scouts are expected to sit and listen.  When I was CM I'd do a minute or two of "What to expect soon" with the Cubs sitting and listening, then I'd send them out to play a game while I went over the details and plans with the parents.

Plus, Cookies at the end of Pack meetings is a sure way to make sure they don't mind the meetings as much.

1 hour ago, elitts said:

This depends in large part upon the Den Leaders and Cubmaster.

I second this — my daughter only had a year or so in Cubs based on when she could join, but she had a great time and was never bored.  Awesome and dynamic Cubmaster who knew how to connect with the kids, and an amazing den leader who programmed great meetings.  Very focused on doing, not telling or talking.  She’s been den chiefing pretty much since she got high enough BSA rank to do so (both for a young den, I think they were Tigers and for an older den as well who just crossed over to Scouts.). Two other great den leaders who came up with great “doing” activities.  Even the “talking” one I remember was compelling for the age group (he was former military and had someone he knew who was a former astronaut come in and talk).  

16 hours ago, elitts said:

This depends in large part upon the Den Leaders and Cubmaster.  I know that when my son was a cub 6-7 years ago, he wasn't bored generally.  Some of the Den meetings were a little boring when it was the "talk about it" style, but as long as many of the meetings involve going to do something they stay pretty engaged.  The biggest issue is when Cubmasters start doing "parent" announcements and discussions at Pack Meetings while the scouts are expected to sit and listen.  When I was CM I'd do a minute or two of "What to expect soon" with the Cubs sitting and listening, then I'd send them out to play a game while I went over the details and plans with the parents.

Plus, Cookies at the end of Pack meetings is a sure way to make sure they don't mind the meetings as much.

The one issue I have with the current Cub Scout belt loop program is that way too many units want to hand out belt loop awards at the pack meetings. Its boring for the kids and breaks the immediate recognition design of the program. Belt loops should be a fast end of den meeting thing, not a ceremony at the pack meeting. Pack meetings should be fun events for all ages, not awards ceremonies.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, LaraG03 said:

As ADL & DL for both of my boys from tiger to AOL, ( the youngest earned AOL in 2019) and in hindsight, I wouldn't join CS till the wolf year at the earliest. The journey from Lion to AOL is loooong and burnout is a thing for both scouts & leaders. Somewhere on another thread is a discussion about changes that could benefit Cubs.  Just guessing from your post, your family is probably active in outdoor pursuits (camping, hiking, etc.) I would say wait till webelos, your youngest scout will be excited for the new adventures.